Pets in Tunisia

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Tunisia have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Tunisia? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Tunisians think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

Personally I would not bring pets in from another country.  We have so many animals who have no homes here.  I have adopted 2 dogs from the street.  They are loved very much and are so loyal.  I encourage everyone to adopt an animal from the street and love it and care about it.  Now we even have an organisation Against Animal Abuse Tunisa who have organised free vaccinations for dogs and cats.  They will come to your area with this service.  You should make sure your pets have the vaccination against rabies as this is quite prevalent in Tunisia.

Rescuing even one animal is the best thing you can do.

I brought my two big dogs from the US to Tunisia and I really regret it. Dogs are viewed as dirty, so my husband's family was very unhappy about them living in our house. My dogs were always spoiled--they slept in my bed for 8 years and always had a dogsitter when I was out of town. They were always well-groomed and everything. Here, they don't have those kinds of services. I got pregnant and could not keep up with their shedding, so my husband and his family moved them to our farm just before my baby was born. They say I cannot take care of a baby and dogs at the same time. Now my dogs are living in a warehouse on a cement floor. They get little attention and eat only bread and water. I am not able to go to them everyday, but my husband does to feed them. It's not the same as them having their mom with them to love and spoil them. It breaks my heart and I feel like I've failed them. I lost the fight. We have taken in two puppies as well, who are happy at the farm because that's the only life they've known, and they are free to run around since they won't run away or attack other animals like my dogs will if let loose. We've also rescued many kittens. There are many stray animals here, so if you can give them loving homes, that would be wonderful.

I am going to move to Tunisia permanently in January and will be bringing my 2 dogs with me. They are small house dogs. One is 12 and one is 6.
I have no reason to adopt any further dogs as I have had these 2 for years, and if I have to travel I have another American friend with 2 dogs of her own to babysit them.
While I am all in favor of animal rescue, it is not right to advise people not to bring their own pets or to adopt street pets. Not knowing what they have been through can be a recipe for disaster. I have witnessed the dogs being treated horribly and I would never bring an abused dog into my home. You can never be certain if the dog will come after you.
People can say what they wish. If they believe that dogs are dirty that is their right, they do not have to visit my home. My dogs are kept clean and groomed at all times.
If my dogs happen to die, which is going to come about given their ages, I will then go back to a breeder that I know and trust to purchase another dog of my choosing.

I am moving there in the next few months and taking my 2 dogs and a cat with me.   They are family just like my own children.  They are former show dogs and will not be staying outside.   I have taken my one dog with me everytime I go to visit my husband and he has no issue with my dog crashing on the sofa or at the foot of the bed.   He is a emotional support animal and if he couldn't go or live indoors I wouldn't go.

Hello guys  .
me too I  have a cute Belgian malinois and I love animals !
but to say the truth not everyone here in Tunisia love animals . I know it's sad and awful .. but If you love you pets you gotta take care of them no matter what . and there are clubs and good places to walk you dogs and play with them here . so if you are coming here and need help contact me .
Good bye

I understand from these posts that Tunisian societay doesn´t love pets. In my case, I´m moving with my husband who´s also a foreign like me, so our dog will live with us.  My dog is a old female very pasive, who doesn´t move too much and she´s not used to walk a lot as she likes to be pet and sleep under the sun most of the day.
Anyway I´m afraid now from these comments that she cannot live in peace in a house with a small garden because people doesn´t love dogs. Is this something to really be worry? I don´t depend on other to take care of her, except for babbysitting her on holidays or finding a good place to live. I´m open to advises, as I don´t want to leave here as she is with me since 6 years ago.

On finding a place to live do not worry.  Most places if you rent the apartment or house you can do as you wish with it.  I moved here with my 2 dogs and a cat.  My husband is Tunisian.  Though it is not the cultural norm my dogs and cat live in my apartment with me and go for walks with no problem.  If the person doesn't like them they usually go to the other side of the road.  Then I get the curious people who want to pet the dog but are afraid.  Had a couple little girls so excited that the dog didn't bite they wanted to keep it.  There are a lot of stray dogs and cats.  The cats are very aggressive.

I will gladly puppy sit for you also.

Thanks so much for your answer! It makes me to feel relieved.
I´m starting the process with the veterinarian at my country to check the procedures and training my dog to sleep on a cage. As I will move first and I will bring my dog one month later, I´m thinking that she catch a flight from Argentina to Europe, so I can pickup there and I will do the rest of the trip together to Tunis.

What do you think about this idea? maybe you have experience travelling from US to Europe.
Do you think is good to tell the owner of the house I will rent that I will bring a dog later?

I appreciate the offer for babysitting my dog, she´s adorable and very polite.

I will keep in contact when we finally moved overthere.

My dogs came to me 3 months after I was here. Depending on the dogs size it would be more cost efficient to keep her in the cabin with you.
I have 2 small dogs and different carriers gave estimates from $3,000 up to $7,000 to ship them. I was unable to travel at the time so I bought someone a round trip ticket and added one to cargo and one in the cabin. He is only 3-4 pounds so he fit under the seat easily.
Most of the people in the neighborhood are fascinated by the dogs and usually if I walk them when school let's out they get lots of attention.

Wow... that´s a considerable amount !
I can´t carry with me as my dog weight 35 kilograms more or less.
I will check with airline how much is it.

Thanks!

Lufthansa was the best priced. Your dog could go in cargo for $200.

great to hear the comments about bringing a dog as when I come I will be bringing my Standard Poodle with me.

Looking to buy a female kanish in tunis.

Hi everyone,

@ Yosrijessie, please drop an advert in the proper section of the website : Tunis classifieds > Pets.

Thanks in advance,
Bhavna

will be bringing my Standard Poodle out at the end of February We will be coming into Tunis Airport she will be travelling in the hold. Just wondered if anybody on the forum had brought a dog in and what happens when you land at the airport.

I could not do that to my pets , those dogs will not understand what is happening . You should try to find a loving home for them together .lots of women have baby's and still love and look after their pets .
I find this story upsetting you take in ,all these   Animals  don't they take time to look after ? Yet you starve the two that showed you love and loyalty

SHOCKING

I flew both of my dogs in. Once they arrived they were claimed in the luggage area and brought out to the front area of the airport.

Good to know.am loving  in Hammam Chatt place.is terrible   here how much strey cat living in this area  and are very aggressive  derty  and sick. Is couple  have same  dogs and cat. But not in good condition. Of health. And clean.can someone. Do something  please? Rue de la Mauritanie 31.Hammam Chatt
Thank you

Hi, I wanna ask, if you have any good tips for activities or where to go with a dog. I'm in Tunis with my dog for 2 months. Thnx.

My female loves walking all over. I live close to 2 schools and she knows exactly when the let out for lunch and at the end of the day and wants to walk so that she can get all the attention possible from the kids.
My male is 15 and will walk about 100 yards and then sit and wants to be carried. My husband has no problem with him and he walks fine with him to the café each night. He is selective with the activity he wants to do.
Even with small dogs people will cross the street to avoid them, just try to be courteous and slow the walk until they get away. I have noticed that about 75% are terrified of dogs of any size.

Just for all your information . We are coming into tick season. Make sure you get Frontline from the pharmacy and re apply monthly. This is a huge problem here especially if they are long hair. You should also be rigorous in checking daily for them. Also ensure that vaccine and working etc are up to date.

to be honest with all of you we love animals and you are so offensive 😢

I arrived from holiday in Tunisia where I saw so dirty streets, dirty beaches and unfortunately also the sea. The same as in Egypt last year.. There are dogs and cats without help. Nobody cares..They starve, are suffer from hunger. In year 2016 they where mass gunshots killed. And it is called 21century.. I ask only where people let their hearts? :,-( From what are Tunisia, Egypt people scared? They are the most faithful animals ever! You give them love and they return it in thousand times! Human being domestic dogs (cats can at least sometimes find mouse) do not have natural food so are refer on help. It is NOT about fear but about compassion, consciousness and from all about education already in early age.

Good morning.
Wat can I tell you, it's all true what you are wrote , am living here now and the first things I so is this poor cat all sick and  dirty  , and dogs and even horse are so starving believe me my heart heart me, for me humans don't love Animals he cannot love other humans God make Animal for a big raison to learn humans What is the true Love and Affection, Animals is not only for eat  , they need to learn kids to love Animals  not  scared of tham WE NEED TO BE AWER OF HUMANS NOT OF ANIMALS. Hope in the future people learn to LOVE ANIMALS ,
IF SOME ONE NOWS ASOCIASCION THY CARE OF THIS POOR CATS CONTAT ME
PLEASE
Regard
Rosina

My friend knows of an agency. When I speak with her I will get their name. She is always taking in stray cats so I'm sure that they would work with you.

Oh thank s   .
This is my mob***
Regard
R.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Amy Mistry I'm preparing my trasfer to Hammamet from Italy at the beginning of December. I'll bring with me a dog who was rescued at the dog shelter when he was eight. I hope to find  a house where dogs are accepted and with surrounding dog facilities. Hope you can give me some advice.

Amy Mstry wrote:

Hello guys  .
me too I  have a cute Belgian malinois and I love animals !
but to say the truth not everyone here in Tunisia love animals . I know it's sad and awful .. but If you love you pets you gotta take care of them no matter what . and there are clubs and good places to walk you dogs and play with them here . so if you are coming here and need help contact me .
Good bye

So sorry to read these lines. Expecially because I'm going to move to Tunisia. Will I be able to bear all this?

sonasa wrote:

I arrived from holiday in Tunisia where I saw so dirty streets, dirty beaches and unfortunately also the sea. The same as in Egypt last year.. There are dogs and cats without help. Nobody cares..They starve, are suffer from hunger. In year 2016 they where mass gunshots killed. And it is called 21century.. I ask only where people let their hearts? :,-( From what are Tunisia, Egypt people scared? They are the most faithful animals ever! You give them love and they return it in thousand times! Human being domestic dogs (cats can at least sometimes find mouse) do not have natural food so are refer on help. It is NOT about fear but about compassion, consciousness and from all about education already in early age.

I brought my dog a standard poodle with me when I came to live in Hammamet in Feb this year. Had no bother finding a place to rent that would take the dog and everybody here has been lovely with her. When I take for a walk people come and ask if they an stroke her and she has had her phototaken that many times she has become abit of a diva. Found a great vet whocame straight when she had a choking fit after eating a fish head a couple of months ago. Lovely beach here where I live in Hammamet that I take her on each morning early.

To be fair, I saw much worse in Romania and Macedonia, where there are SO many homeless dogs, and people not caring and driving by them, even when they are badly injured. I have lived nearly two years in Tunisia and return there soon for good. My Scottish Terrier, age 11 now, has done really well in Tunisia. Yes, some people are frightened of him, but many others are not and pet him and love him. Veterinary care is somewhat iffy, with excellent technology available for scans and tests, but relatively poor training (ie. my dog was shut in a cage for more than 24 hours during which he did not relieve himself. Taken outdoors, he took a long time to do so and had obviously held back. The young vet was 100% to blame for not walking him!)
Anyway, I think Tunisians, especially the younger generation, do like animals. Actually, I can't wait to get back there!

kay booth,
Hmm.. have been thinking about Hammamet, also Djerba, after being too isolated on Kerkennah since 2016. May have to take a closer look! When I visit Matmata and Douz, my Scottie often has his picture taken. Hope you're having a good time. I think Tunisians are okay with dogs. Never had a hotel turn my dog away, even a four-star!

hi yes love living here in Hammamet any advice or help please ask!!!!

Thanks Kay!

I also am planning to come to Tunisia with my dog. It has been rescued from the dog shelter. When it dies  I'll do the same with another shelter dog or a street dog. For sure. I'm sure I'm going to suffer a lot seeing ill-treated dogs in the streets of Hammamet. This is one of my concerns.

Atlantean wrote:

kay booth,
Hmm.. have been thinking about Hammamet, also Djerba, after being too isolated on Kerkennah since 2016. May have to take a closer look! When I visit Matmata and Douz, my Scottie often has his picture taken. Hope you're having a good time. I think Tunisians are okay with dogs. Never had a hotel turn my dog away, even a four-star!

Thank you. I'm relieved!

I have two  beautiful  cat boy and girl and are from here I collect them. From the street  and am very happy whit them ar still young 😍 love them