Pets in Poland

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Poland have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Poland? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Polish think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

Poles love dogs. Most don't seem to mind dogs who bark constantly or are aggressive. Walking a dog regularly around a neighbourhood is a great way to meet people. Even those who get bitten, or find "souvenirs" in their front gardens, are tolerant.

At one time, people who saw me scoop up after my companion's dog thought I was being a bit strange. Now it's appreciated, and may (I'm not sure) be required in some municipalities.

It bugs me a little when people say "Chodz tutaj" (Come here) to their dogs, knowing that they will not come; it seems to be a way of claiming to have control over the dog, when in fact they don't.

It also bothers me a little that some people keep dogs, especially in the country, permanently on a chain near their front door; they claim the dog protects them (mainly, yaps at whoever). 

You can hear, on YouTube, popular dog songs (for children) such as "Puszek Okruszek" and "Kundel Bury".  They're sweet.