Pets in Mauritius

Hello everyone,

Many of us in Mauritius have four-legged friends. What about you? Do you have one or more pets? Share your experience with us!

What are the formalities to import pets in Mauritius? What about pet adoption procedures in the country? Did you bring your pet from your home country to your host country? If so, did everything turn out fine?

What do Mauritians think about pets? Are they comfortable with dogs, cats or unusual pets?

Share your advice!

Priscilla

Hello everyone ...hope you had a nice weekand and doing good.Well  since 4 years I am here .in starting I had a pair  of very cute  white rabbits. I used to leave them free outside loan of my house .one day I came back but did not see them .I have searched every corner of my house and outside but couldn't find .It was really sad .they were a family like .I used to play with them in outside loan.they were very active and cute.
After that I never again adopt any pet at home .

What about you?

I adopted two street dogs while in Mauritius.
Quite frankly, I'm surprised to see the sentence "many of us in Mauritius have four-legged friends." In my experience, most Mauritians who have dogs treat them as an alarm system, certainly not as a friend.
The way dogs are treated is actually the object of a petition online: https://www.change.org/p/the-mauritian- … mauritius. The comments to articles I've read about that petition in Mauritians newspapers such as L'Express.mu are actually very hateful towards dogs and call for brutal extermination - even if this has proven absolutely inefficient in reducing the number of stray dogs.
In the meantime, dogs that are breeds like German shepherds or Dachshund are stolen and made to reproduce as much as possible before being abandoned.
I also noticed that a lot of Mauritians are actually afraid of dogs and have absolutely no idea as to how to handle them: they run away or throw things at them, and then pretend the dogs are dangerous, when the dogs are actually the ones being attacked.
People are mostly uneducated when it comes to sterilization, and will simply abandon unwanted litters - and then complain about the stray dogs.
I am appalled by the way dogs are treated in Mauritius, both by the population and the government, and would strongly urge any person who doesn't stand for animal cruelty to stay away from the island and spread the information so that maybe, maybe, the government will feel enough pressure to change its politics.
Sorry if this sounds negative but if the aim of this forum is to help people, I believe telling the truth is important!

"would strongly urge any person who doesn't stand for animal cruelty to stay away from the island and spread the information so that maybe, maybe, the government will feel enough pressure to change its politics. "

Just curious and seriously , if that's the case - albeit the fact that the population needs serious education wrt dogs - owning and treating them in a humane way , why are you still on the island?

I'm not :). I left mid-August, after three years, which was the length of my contract. I could have extended it for an extra year but did not want to.
To be honest, I do feel like I could have done more to help the dogs while I was there - I had no idea who to contact, and I knew I was only there temporarily and could only take so many dogs with me when I left, so I ended up leaving some dogs who needed help in the streets because I could not foster them and did not know who to turn to... It's only when I organized a sterilization campaign in my last year there that I met people involved in helping out stray dogs and educating people, so I send them a little money, and I try to bring awareness to the issue any way I can, in the hope that maybe it will make a little difference. :)

How about animals adopting humans !!!.   A few months ago while sitting on my veranda a ginger and white cat came up to me looking very hungry and started talking to me .  I gave the cat some food and it ate it and went away .  I thought it would not come back , later that day it came back and was purring and nudging its head to me as if to say thank you .  The cat who I now call Ginger is very clean , no fleas or bites whatsoever it is domesticated and always goes outside to go to the toilet.  I believe the cat has been abandoned as it is very tame and friendly .  Recently I was ill with the flu and normally as cats do they like to go about their business each day patrolling their patch, but Ginger saw I was ill and stayed with me all night and all day talking to me every two hours to wake me up to see if I was ok.  When I was coughing or sneezing Ginger made a sort of crying type of Miaow as if to say that he was sad that I was not well.
When I go out he always comes and says goodbye at the gate .   Also a very strange thing happened which I cannot explain only in that Ginger is very compassionate.  If I go out I always leave him some food outside and the other day the door was open and I could see this poor little kitten come up to  eat some of this food, normally if Ginger sees another cat near the food it is a stand-off and a quick chase away. Not this time he just went outside and sat nearby and let the kitten eat and drink milk and he seemed to understand that the poor kitten was hungry just like the first day he came to me .
Yes so you see the cat has adopted me !!!!

Pets in Mauritius
Animals in Mauritius

Before I begin to give an honest and informed opinion about this subject. Can I please ask all who are for animals welfare to donate to the amazing organisations who really do their very best to affect change On behalf of the voiceless.Please just watch the video on the March about the treatment of animals at Msaw in what should be called the extermination and torturing chamber of that organisation. This is not the first time that this govenement funded organisation have been exposed.

Although quite of few of us/ Mauritians treat our animals dogs as part the the family, there are others who would tell you a dogs should be treated as a dog.. whatever that is supposed to mean. Dogs are there to bark to warn that someone is calling, tied up all day.. sometimes outside gates in all weathers. People like puppies  but these get abandon  when they get old ,ill or injured. Dogs are subjected to regular beating at time ending up with broken bones, they get stones thrown at them if they dare venture near a neighbours property. The majority of dogs owners that I know don't vaccinate, deworm/ deflea their animals. In my village recently several dogs were poisoned because the restauranters object to seeing them on the road.

If you are an animal lover, forget having a relaxing day out around the island..there are thin stray dogs with several undernourished puppies on every beach,  far much worse in the South.
Laws are not enforced... pets are supposed to be registered, btw they can be sterilised and microchip for free. Owners can easily be traced should they abandon their dogs. As far as I know animal welfare is not on any political party's agenda's.  The previous government allowed thousands of monkeys to be taken from the wild then sent abroad for the most painful experiments. After a lot of pressure from animal organisations such as cruelty free international,  the practice of taking them from the wild has stopped, instead monkeys are now bred in captivity in Mauritian farms.

I am sorry about the person who lost their pet rabbits, this is another common occurrence amongst some of us.. one has to guard any thorough bred dogs or cats or they just disappear.

Any one who would like an animal please adopt stray dogs and cats. we have so many that need good homes. Have a look at "save our strays", Paws websites.. msaw also have animals for adoption.

As a  volunteer  at Paws sterilisation sessions  which solely operate by donations, I cannot praise them enough for their commitment in providing an amazing service to stray animals.

Hi all,

I'm Chris (British/Mauritian) and I'm moving to Mauritius from Dubai with my wife and two pet chihuahuas next week.

NB. I posted a different version of this msg on another thread but I think it closed down a year or so back.

I hope there are people still on this site able to answer a few questions I have, as well as learn from some of my import experiences.  :)

1. I'm led to believe it is now just 5 days quarantine for the dogs up in Redoit, which is not too far from Port Louis. Is this correct? It used to be 30 but because you have to have tests and their results in before you arrive the authorities have rightly reduced this.

NB. I paid a fortune in Dubai for the Rabies, Brucela and Ehrlichia tests £800  :o so they could get the import permit actioned from Mauritius.

2. As the dogs are coming in the cargo from Dubai, the Mauritian end say I need a broker even though I'm on the same plane.

I haven't needed any so far, but I guess they will be transported to the quarantine centre. The problem is I've been quoted $400 which by any standard is an absolute p155 take given all the expenses so far. The flight will be about £700 ish Emirates for two small dogs in their respective airline compliant containers. If you know of any cheap brokers give me a shout.

3. Does anyone have an update on the visiting time for the Redoit quarantine centre?

4. Is there a bus service to the quarantine centre if you are coming from Albion? I guess the hub we would come into would be Rose Hill.

The other costs on top are apparently: -

150rps = £3 for the kennels
2673 Rps = £59 Delivery charge?!
1478 Rps = £33 Import Fee and Vet Clearance.

To help others I will also post a follow up when and if we land successfully in our new home next week.

With regards to dogs in Mauritius the issue of strays is a big problem. I didn't know you can take them to a centre to get them neutered for free (Paws) so I'll pass that on to everyone I meet. People also seem to forget this is a tiny island, poor in many areas and with a real diverse mix of people so education in pet care will slowly come in.

My own family in Mauritius only ever kept their dogs outside, but that is something I couldn't imagine doing. The threat alone of them being stolen is a real worry too, given what I've read.

Still it is all our responsibility to educate people on pets and pet care and I'm sure Mauritius in time will start to look at dogs and cats with far more care and thought.

Seeya soon,

Chris x

PS - My dogs originally came from Manchester, UK so I'd be happy to answer any Q's for people exporting their pets from there.

Hi there Cocdh

I hope that you are well and enjoying your time in Mauritius. I read you post on expat.com and was wondering if you have a few min spare.

How did the whole move go and are you and the family happy there? By the way we have also lived in the middle east for sometime, so we have something in common :)

I am South African and my husband and I will be moving to Mauritius in the next few months. My husband is in aviation and I am consulting from home for a security company. We are really exited to make the move.

How have you found Mauritius so far? Which area do you stay in?

I have a few questions to ask and would really appreciate your time to give some tips or advice.

We will be bring our springer spaniel with, how long do dogs have to be in quarantine post export? As I have heard rumors that it is 90 days? Not minimum 30 days? and I feel that is inhumane, slightly worried.

Also, do you know if Mauritius has companies or people that pet sit? How popular is it or easy to find someone willing to house or doggy sit should one be away? this is a concern of mine as we will be away atleast 3 or 4 time per year and our doggy is like a child to us.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Justyna.

Hello,

We flew our dog to Mauritius. Something I regret. Mauritian people, on the whole, although not all, have no respect or compassion for any animal.

Upon stepping foot here, I immediately realised the enormity of the animal welfare situation. 300,00 street animals approx, either daily beaten and tortured, starved, run over and left in agony to die, disease and sicknesses, injuries to name just a few.

I advise you to not bring your animals. Poisoning is rife, and some without any antidote. It's hell for animals. To safe guard your loved pet, the best you can do is to keep it in a loving home where you are. There are so many here that we are all desperately flying animals off the island, just to save them where possible.

Please consider carefully.

Hi
I agree with everything you said.

I returned home after 45 years in the UK. The worst side of this so paradise that Mauritius is supposed to be is the treatment of animals. We have laws but they are not enforced. People do what they like and get away with it. For years monkeys have been taken from the wild ,now being bred here,then shipped abroad for experiments, used until they cannot be tortured anymore. Monkeys are kept as pets under the most awful cruel conditions. Even when they bite people ,the laws does nothing.

Don't have regrets for bringing your dog. By walking your dogs and Even touching / cuddling them in public is education for some people. I work with paws as a volunteer, foster sick dogs, have set up a small dog walking group with some children in my village,  hopefully with time we can try to change the dreadful situation on the island.
Of course it is disheartening to see so much animal abuse.. we lost over 12 dogs in black river district  recently that we have already sterilised. There are a lots more that we do not know about.

Thank you for writing about this..the thousands of tourists who come to Mauritius hardly mentioned the plight of our animals when they give feedback about their time here.

Thank you for your response.

I wonder what you refer to as ‘lost dogs'. MSAW or....?

Clearly a fellow animal carer, would you like to have a meet at all? 🙂

It is refreshing to read these comments thankyou.

I too am appalled by the treatment of dogs here in Mauritius. I actually came home and cried one night when I coaxed a feeding mama all the way back with me to the restaurant nxt door (she kept looking back, really concerned, as it was a long way for her to leave her puppies!). I asked the owner for some scraps. He said - theyre in the trash. if we feed them, they'll come every day.. err yeh!! They are starving!

So I now take her food every day and fed 8 dogs the other night with just one packet. But what when I leave? Im hoping my actions, as someone else said, will inspire others to be more caring!

I cant get a skinny black bitch out of my mind at Melville beach as Im sure she will die soon, she is soooo hungry :(  The runts or weaker ones don't even get scraps because they get chased away by the bigger dogs.

Why cant people [the tourists and the locals] see how starving they are and buy them a little bit of food or give them their left overs... people leave LOADS of food in their hotels and restaurants every night. Its sickening! 

And Why on earth don't people leave bowls of water out for them in such scorching heat! Its inhumane!

I loathe the way so many people don't even see animals  as beings that need love, food and water and shelter, just like us.   So many people are so cold and disconnected! I much prefer animals -they are so loving and loyal, and connected to what is happening!

My friend works for PAWS but he said there is only so much they can do and often they sterilise them, clean them, de-flea and worm them, feed them, then put them back on the street because they are better off there than the ones who have been stolen and are left chained up all day with no food or water.  Or worse still are taken by the GOvt and killed, such is their policy.

I like the idea of putting pressure on to the Govt. Over 1 million tourists pass thru this island every year. Something needs to be done about these poor dogs - and NOT killing them - just a little love goes a long way.

Encourage people to feed and water them. They could have donation boxes scattered around.. to give them the medical care they need.
I dont think its the fact that they are roaming that is the issue - aside form being hungry and thirsty and being poisoned they have a great life (the ones who are free)  -they just need to be taken care of!

And while they are there, the Govt may want to do something about the plastic pollution problem and get people to stop buying plastic and clean up after themselves !!

Ashamed to be human sometimes :(

sorry repeat post

What is the procedure for flying them to uk. i would be interested to save this mama, her puppies 9If we  can find them), the father (who is terrified ) and the little black girl who is starving