Consulting and developing and sharing in Bali !

Hi, my name is Sara and I'm Italian.

I'm in Bali waiting to to the Yoga Teacher Training in January in Canggu.
My job in europe is the consultant; I have a company that develop many kind of projects about marketing, training and HR, buildings and investments.
We usually put together supply and demand from Europe to the world.
I would like to do it from here, developing a building a network of contacts between "expatriates" and locals, and developing together work and projects.
Is anyone among who is interested or who does something like that?

My best regards and hugs

Namaste

Sara

You're free to pay for a yoga course, but there is no legal way you could do it as a job in Indonesia.

You might be able to build a consultancy company as a PT, but that is going to require a lot of local legal advice and a lot of investment.

Hi Sara

I am myself looking to create some network  in Bali to promote investment opportunities within the expat community, the locals (Bali and elsewhere in Indonesia) and the people from back home.

I am currently in Lombok but will be back soon in Bali, it would be great to discuss further to see if it can lead to something useful!

Kind regards

Kevin

What sort of investment?

Sara and Kevin, you both need to be aware that any work for profit or income which is conducted in Indonesia without a work permit and KITAS visa is illegal if you are not an Indonesian citizen.  And in Bali, there is a huge clampdown currently going on…rounding up violators, fining them and deporting them on almost a daily basis.  The intensity in prosecuting illegal foreign workers has picked up considerably ever since all visas on arrival became free for most all countries. 

I personally know of a number of recent cases here in Ubud where the expat was doing things like teaching Yoga, giving guitar lessons, selling real estate, and even one case where the expat invested heavily in a new restaurant, but was caught working while his work permit and KITAS were being processed…but not finalized. 

Under law, the fines can go as high as US $50,000, jail time up to five years, and for certain, permanent deportation once you've been “adequately and otherwise punished.”

As with drugs, playing around in this area is most assuredly not a good idea, and the lesson learned can be financially devastating.  Comply with the law, and no problems.

^
That would absolutely cover networking as a business, so it would be a very good idea to take note of the above.
If you have a work permit and visa, no worries, but they might be hard work to get hold of.
Bali has special problems because so many people want to live there, so they do have rather a reputation of clamping down hard on any illegal work.
Whilst nasty in many ways, the officials' job is to protect Indonesia and Indonesians, so you have to understand their stance.

"Whilst nasty in many ways, the officials' job is to protect Indonesia and Indonesians, so you have to understand their stance."

Exactly!   :top:

But there is something else to consider as well...that being consideration of those expats who do "play by the rules."  For those expats, the antics of other non complying expats is not fair, or just.  No small reason that my immigration contacts tell me that they are more often informed of non complying expats by other expats, than by locals.   ;)   That's no surprise to me.

Yes, I completely agree.