Hello to you!

Hello. How are you? I'm quite well today. Thanks.

I'm not all together sure how much good this will do, but I figured its better to put forth the effort than to continue to wonder. With that in mind, here goes.

My name is Lisa. I am:
33 years old
Divorced but in a relationship
a mother to an engagingly bright 7 yr old boy
18 months away from attaining a BS in Computer Science (Software Engineering)
a Teacher Aide for K-2 (5-8 yr olds)
a sister with 4 sisters and 3 brothers
& obsessed with migrating to New Zealand

I'd have to say that my interest in New Zealand began when I was a Junior in High School (1994) and was given an assignment to do a report of another country including history, culture, politics, economy, and the events of the day. I still don't know what made me select that island at the bottom of the world, but I thank the Gods that I did. I spent weeks researching everything I could find - even going to independent music stores in town to buy whatever they had from New Zealand. In the end, I got a beautiful grade, but more forward in my mind was a feeling that I'd found heaven on earth. I still have three of those CDs : Emma Paki, Headless Chickens, and Straight-jacket Fits.

When I was out of High School, I decided to put college on hold and travel. First, I traveled America visiting most of the states from the east coast to the west. I made many friends and had a wild, free, wonderful time. I was given opportunities to then travel abroad to England, Scotland, Sweden, and Spain...but it just hasn't been enough. I eventually settled down, got married, and had a child. And for a time there, thoughts of my original dream faded away. Then things started turning poorly for my marriage, and we split up. It took a lot of time and healing, but I now feel it was for the best.

My son and I have a decent life. I work for the school he attends and on the nights he spends with his father I attend college. I'm turning my 2 yr AS degree into a 4 yr BS. When I started back at college I was asked by a professor to list goals I once held and then cross off the ones I achieved. I was satisfied to see that many of them, without aiming to, had been realized through the years. There are a few that remain. I am in school now to cross off one, and in doing that will put myself into a more stable running for that "secure career doing something truly worthwhile and yet still fun" goal. That is where New Zealand comes into play.

I still want to move to New Zealand, buy a house with some land on the beach, explore the beautiful land, become friends with the great people there, and do whatever I can to keep it a heaven on earth for generations to come.

So, what do you think? Where should I start? Are there any suggestions to offer a lady who still carries around this teenage dream?

Hi Lisa

Wow, great introduction. You are on the right road by getting your BS in computer science. There is such a demand in New Zealand at the moment for those qualifications and in the IT field.

I too went back to school after a few years work, and it was really worth it. One thing I found is that when you are a little more mature, you do a lot better with studying. 

We have some really great friends from around the world, including America, India, China and the Philippines. We have been here three years now, and love it. The boys have made some really good friends, and are really doing well at school. This country was truly built with kids in mind.

I hope all your dreams come through, and it would be great to have you here with us, and enjoy the ring of fire.

Good luck with the last 18 months of your studies, it will be worth it. The 18 months will be behind you before you know it.

Hi Lisa,

I believe you will do well when you move to NZ its better to finish your studies as it would be expensive for you to continue here without residency. If and when you do wish to migrate let me know and I can help you in whatever way possible.

Cheers,
Keith