LIFE IN STOCKHOLM HONESTLY

I am a Brit. Thinking of making the step to Stockholm with the Mrs.

I see so many reviews about Sweden but looking for an honest opinion.

If you are from England and have moved to Sweden I would love to hear from you.

We will probably start out renting but aim is to buy a house in a nice area for about 350 - 450k with good gardens schools general nice area with easy commute.

What about jobs ?

I will have to learn Swedish i think number 1

but overall quality of life how do you feel.

Thanks

Charles

Hi I'm Australian and I've been living here now for a year. It's a beautiful place to live. The quality of life is very high for me. Even though people complain, I think the public transport is excellent. Don't know about the schools. But the swedes overall seem very well educated so they can't be that bad. It's more egalitarian here. The service in shops and in general is excellent. The housing is well built. If you're renting it doesn't matter. There's not the same stigma about renting here as in Australia. And owners are less exploitative here in my experience. It's a very organised and ordered place if you like that kind of thing.  Some people find it restrictive. ie shop hours etc It's like going back in time a bit. But you get used to it. You really have to like swedish style food. Learn to love salmon.

I love Stockholm. It's a quiet, serious city with a lot of arts. Some people might find it a bit boring. The Swedes are quite different to english speakers. They are serious and shy. Not extrovert. And they are in general not into self promotion the way the english speaking peoples are. Humility seems like an important quality to have here. They are not overly friendly if you don't know them.  If you do know them they're very nice people.  I'm learning swedish. I find it quite difficult. Pronunciation is especially hard for english speakers. You push on anyway.  Many people speak english and are happy to do so but you find that as you go on it is really important to learn the language as you feel quite out of it if you don't. It helps a lot if your partner's swedish.
Hope this helps a little.

hi,

I got the feeling you want an honest answer rather than the "what a great city and quality of life" stuff !

I'm from London, moved here 9 years ago with my Swedish girlfriend. So here goes:

Weather:  Terrible, summers are nice but too short. Winters too cold and the novelty of the snow soon wears off.  If you like ski-ing and snow its great but stockholm is a long way to the slopes.

People:  Nice, intelligent, can be very friendly and easy to meet but can be very distant too - a bit boring and serious sometimes, don't smile too much. Quite introvert also, not outwardly social, even compared to London, in my opinion.  They like to conform and are extremely PC which becomes a real wind up after a while and you end up just wanting to play the devils advocate !

Language: You really need to learn it otherwise work will be a problem and though everyone speaks English you will definately feel out of it, as the Aussie said.  Some people find it easy, some a nightmare.  My feelings you always lose something living in a foreign speaking country - the social things, having a good laugh etc.

Schools - we've got a ypung daughter at day school. Excellent and very cheap, they can start from 12 months old.  For Mon-Fri, 7.30 - 4.30pm it costs about €100-130 a month.  Good food for them, activities, etc.  One of the best reasons to come here is if you have kids (they even love the snow!).

Food - actually, its ok, even good.  But if you live outside the city, there are no pubs and few restaurants. Nothing like London or the UK.  People living in the suburbs (where I live and you will live if you have a house) don't eat out or go out that often compared to the UK. They live to entertain at home more, which isn't my cup of tea to be honest.  For a good choice of eating, you need to go to the city.

Transport:  Driving is great compared to London, nowhere near as busy apart from the commuting.  Public transport is good and cheap.

Entertainment:  Not many international acts come here.  I have to say the radio and tv is appalling, I thought they liked music here but the radio is just drivel.  At least there's internet radio.

Cost of Living: the truth is Swedes don't earn that much and taxes are high.  Salaries for decent jobs are much lower than London, and most of Western Europe. But lower paid jobs pay better here if that makes sense! Not sure how they afford things really but they seem to. Women always work which provides 2 incomes, maybe thats it.
Housing has become quite expensive the last few years but is generally good quality and still cheaper than London. Interest rates are ok for now. Food, and anything pretty much you want to buy costs too much!!

Service: I used to think it was excellent but actually, its efficient which is different.

Getting out of Stockholm is easy and lots to do  - if you like sailing etc. its excellent and cheap. The city is beautiful, clean, ordered etc, as you'd imagine.

Hope the above helps,  generally, its a good place to live despite my gripes. The weather is a major problem for some. Try to learn the lingo and get some regular winter holidays and i'd say its worth the move.

cheers
Rich