How can an American and a filipina stay in Thailand?

How long can an american and a philippina stay in Thailand?
One,2mo,3 months?

Without a visa: Assuming you are traveling on an American passport rather than Cuban, you can both stay visa free for 30 days. The American can then go to an Immigration office, pay 1900 baht and extend the visa waiver stay for a further 30 days. (only once).  I am unsure if the Filipina can also do this. However if your flight return date is beyond 30 days your airline could deny boarding if you do not have a visa. Probably a good idea to carry a print off of the wording that states you can extend.

With a visa: 90 days. 60 + 30. After 60 days, or almost, go to immigration and extend for a further 30  days. A Filipina may have problems getting a long stay visa.

I am just a member here and this information is to the best of my understanding, you should check with official sources.

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : off topic

Upon entering Thailand your passport gives you a three month stay or visa. If you want to stay longer one way to do it is to make a border run. That would mean going somewhere out of the country, across the border, and then getting your passport stamped again, with an exit visa. Thai immigration is getting a little sensitive about that. Another way is to get a retirement visa (50 years or older with the financial means to support yourself in Thailand), which would give you one year. What ever visa you get would include a process by which you have to report to immigration every 90 days to update your address and/or status. You could get specific visa information either by contacting the closest Thai consulate or embassy or search for Thai immigration to read all of the specific information. At least this is a start. If the Philippine is your wife she could travel under your passport. If not I would assume that she has to apply individually.

Sorry Bill but:

Upon entering Thailand your passport gives you a three month stay or visa.  Wrong!

If the Philippine is your wife she could travel under your passport. Wrong!

90 days is valid and a husband can list his wife under his retirement visa. A problem that often arises is that when a husband dies the wife has to take almost immediate action to satisfy visa requirements for herself, or be deported. At least that is the way the law is exercised in Chiang Mai. I have been to many meetings on this topic in Chiang Mai. You do things your way, if I am wrong or not.

Well I think you are misleading people by saying; your passport gives you a three month stay or visa. This is not true, your passport does not give a 3 month stay. What do you mean "or visa"? Entry under the visa waiver programme without a visa gives only 30 days. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/55
This can be extended at an immigration office for a fee of 1900bht by a further 30 days once only, then you must leave the country. (which could be just a border run).

You may also obtain before coming to Thailand a 60 day tourist visa. This can be extended once for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 bht.
After 90 days you must leave the country.

I'm referring to immigration relative to an American. I have no idea what the issues are with England. As I said in one post anyone con contact Thai immigration or sign up with retirecheap.asia. My intent was to clarify what may seem confusing points, nothing more.

(I do know that prior to 2012, as a US citizen, upon entry the passport allowed one 30 days in the country. Since then it was changed to 90 days.)

bill kip wrote:

I'm referring to immigration relative to an American. I have no idea what the issues are with England. As I said in one post anyone con contact Thai immigration or sign up with retirecheap.asia. My intent was to clarify what may seem confusing points, nothing more.

(I do know that prior to 2012, as a US citizen, upon entry the passport allowed one 30 days in the country. Since then it was changed to 90 days.)

I haven't heard of this, so far as I am aware the regulations apply to 52 countries of which the usa (you know... that Trump place  :)  ) is one. Please point us to this exception, I would be most interested to see it.

Landcaster:

Find someone else to annoy. I've had it with you.

Bill unless you can point to valid info I must agree with Lancaster.  If you have American passport and arrive without a visa you are given a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days only.

In terms of me I believe that both you and Landcaster have missed an important point. I believe I prefaced my statement that I am not an expert, implying that I could be wrong. I also gave two resources for more specific information to validate any information. So be it.

bill kip wrote:

In terms of me I believe that both you and Landcaster have missed an important point. I believe I prefaced my statement that I am not an expert, implying that I could be wrong. I also gave two resources for more specific information to validate any information. So be it.

What you actually said was: I do know that prior to 2012, as a US citizen, upon entry the passport allowed one 30 days in the country. Since then it was changed to 90 days.

Bill I am not here to annoy you and that is certainly not my intention. What I am trying to prevent is any of your fellow American citizens landing themselves in a lot of grief by reading what you have stated here and acting on it.
Firstly they would very possibly get refused boarding at the US airport if no visa and return flight date beyond 30 days. If they did get to Thailand they would then be very disappointed to only receive a 30 day visa waiver stamp, just the same as the rest of us. I have started a topic at the Retirecheap.Asia forum under Visas and Immigration entitled Maximum stay without visa for an American? Even JC himself has responded.

Lancaster is the capital city of the county of Lancashire. Not sure to what or whom Landcaster refers.

I was rethinking my statement about the 90 days. (In a prior posting I said something to the effect of - I am not an expert, and deferred to more comprehensive sites as Thai Immigration or J C for more in depth information.)  When I made that statement, I was referring to myself. When I entered Thailand this time I handed over my passport and was given a 90 day stamp. Then again my circumstances were different. I already had a visa stamp from the Thai Consulate of LA. I had a single entry O Visa (Volunteer), with a sponsor in Chiang Mai. I am now in the dubious process of waiting for my O-A Volunteer visa, which does convert to a 12 month Visa. So, in a sense, I stand down from my previous statement on the 90 day - unless you have some other visa that gives you 90, or whatever it states.

I do not stand down from other statements. I don't know what anyone can do for their girl friend. I assume that she has to stand on her own passport, regardless of any relationship. I do know for a fact that many new widows have had to think and act quickly because they were in Thailand under their husbands Thai Retirement Visa. This is a repetitive problem, where the husband dies, with the wife living under her husbands visa, has to start over again. I believe she has about 7 days to get everything done or leave Thailand. Anybody knowing about Thai time, knows that this becomes a challenge. If you would like some additional information on this particular topic you can contact Lanna Care Network in Chiang Mai.

Two days ago I read a current report about Thai Immigration. Compliments of the work shop on October 21 changes are being implemented at District 1, Chiang Mai Immigration. It seems that there are problems in District 1 that are unique, and burdensome, unlike the rest of Thailand. According to the report changes have been implemented and progressive upgrades are in the process of being implemented. Of course these changes are because long term Thai Visa holders are now looking at Malaysia as a destination instead of Chiang Mai. One item that has been presented to the PM is that of a long term resident visa. This would be something to the effect that after one year residency a person could convert their tourist visa to a resident visa. The results being that the visa would be renewed every five years and the immigration reports would be on a one year basis, not every 90 days. Again this is a proposal and we'll all see how this plays out.

So it turns out you had a visa all along and that I was indeed correct to call into question  your statement Upon entering Thailand your passport gives you a three month stay or visa.  Hurray, we got there in the end. Anybody got a beer? I need one now.  :huh:

........ and the OP has never returned.  :/