Traveling to Nairobi with 1 y/o child

Hello,
I will be traveling to Nairobi with my 1 year old daughter. Im looking for information whether malaria risk inside nairobi is essential for my child. If yes, what kinds of preventive measures should I consider?
Also can I find baby food jars and Hipp Organic formula in nairobi? What about cow`s milk - is it safe?
Are fruits and veggies safe enough for baby?

I would very much appreciate any feedback.

a_net6 wrote:

Hello,
I will be traveling to Nairobi with my 1 year old daughter. Im looking for information whether malaria risk inside nairobi is essential for my child. If yes, what kinds of preventive measures should I consider?
Also can I find baby food jars and Hipp Organic formula in nairobi? What about cow`s milk - is it safe?
Are fruits and veggies safe enough for baby?

I would very much appreciate any feedback.

No malaria in Nairobi but lot of mosquitoes so mosquito net is a must. If you travel, clothes with long sleeve and sock is advisable as well as natural mosquito repellent (like

Plenty of stuff for babies, Biashara is full of baby shop

Milk formula are available also (forgot the brand sorry)

Cow milk is safe, two kind of milk - very fresh daily milk (last few days)or UHT milk (all type - best foor your baby)

Fruits and vegs as safe. Wash them well into running water. Some plunge them in water with some drop of javel water. Avoid fruit/veg without skin like strawberries.

Please read this for vaccination or contact a doctor to find which vaccination is required
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18402
oor
http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinati … /kenya.php

come back here if you need any extra info

cheers

Many many  thanks for the info !!!! :)
Its a sort of relief for me to know we`ll be out of malaria zone!
I will with pediatrician for the vaccinations..

no prob

below vaccination recommended by pediatrician in Nairobi

Birth - polio, BCG, Hepatitis B
6 weeks - Polio, DPT/Hib, Hepatitis B
10 weeks - Polio, DPT/Hib, Rota Virus
14 weeks - Polio, DPT/Hib, Rota Virus
6 month - Flu, Hepatitis B
7 month - Flu
9 months - Measles, Yellow Fever
12 months - Chicken pox, Hepatitis A
15 months - Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR)
18 months - Booster DPT/Hib, Polio, Hepatitis
2 years - typhoid, Meningoccocal

NB - Hepatitis A may be given at 2 years

hi

i have a day care centre for children for expatriates where we take care from children ranging 6weeks to 5years and they have no one to be left with when you are working.we provide diet on request and we provide the kids with all the services they require when you are on work.you can contact me [moderated: no free ads]

Welcome Yerevan
hope you are settling down well in Nairobi with you baby.
My name is Paul and would be glad to be of assistance to you if and when called upon
Hope to hear from you soon
Paul

Welcome to Nairobi!
Even if Nairobi is not a malaria zone, I would advice that you get some vaccinations.
There are many organic foods outlets - depending on where you live, in Gigiri, Karen etc go to [Moderated] for listings , but most restaurants for food are safe.  If you only want cooked organic food, then try Bridges Restaurant- which is in the central business district, next to the city market and there is a new branch in Upper hill.
Also, try Uchumi Hypers - they have distinct products for discerning clients - if they say sweet bread - its that! not color and other things - as other supermarkets do.  They also stock milk alternatives if your child is intolerant to cow milk - such as camel milk and goat milk/yogurt.
If you have issues finding good dentists or clothes - please let me know. 
Happy Stays in Kenya!!!

"Even if Nairobi is not a malaria zone, I would advice that you get some vaccinations."

C'mon Hadassah, malaria vaccination is still in research stage, there is no effective vaccine that has been introduced into clinical practice. This is total non sense !!

Malaria prevention, OK !! But are you planning to take these malaria drugs all your life ??

Gloups

Hi...

I don't know if you have arrived in nairobi or not.  I also have an almost 1 year old.  You can get almost everything you need for you girls diet here, including hippic formula.  Unfortunately it does go out of stock sometimes... so best to buy it when it is there.  Best place to buy organic baby food is Healthy U.  They have branches in most of the larger malls, including Yaya, Sarit, Junction and Westgate.  You can also get great fruits and vegetables at Zuccini Markets (at Junction and ABC Place).  I cook most of my wee ones food fresh, as it is the cheapest way to go.

All the best,
Leslie

Hi. Firstly, I think that it is inaccurate to say that Nairobi is malaria free, but it is low risk provided you take the precautions posted above. We brought our granddaughter to Kenya when she was 4 months. We have never had any problems and she has never had anti malarials. The main thing we did was to have a mosquito net over her bed and ensuring that all windows were closed before dusk.

Regarding food, I can confirm that you can buy Hipp Organic in Nairobi, but it costs 4 - 5 x what it costs in UK, so we found that it's just a waste of money. Chiro just ate what we had, but pursed. She's very healthy. There are no concerns about food, as long as you avoid raw foods and wash veg etc properly. We washed them with a weak solution of vinegar, which worked well. We tended to buy food from supermarkets for her.

Regarding milk, we used formula for the first few months. The main brand here is Nestle Nan and costs around Kes 700 for a smallest tin (lasted 2 - 3 days) UK brands much more expensive.  Cows milk is fine, but there has been some recent concern about the possibility of alphatoxins, due to some contaminated feed.

We also found that a pushchair is difficult to use her and Chiro was carried on the back, Kenyan style.

Hope this helps.

All my kids have been thankfully malaria free but I still err on the side of caution. While there is apparently no malaria in Nairobi, there's no harm in using mosquito nets (or an electric mosquito repellent - readily available for about Ksh300 in Nakumatt)
The younger two were successfully raised on S26 formula which is about 800per tin. They'd go through between 6-8 tins a week. The grower version for children 1+ is harder to find so I moved them to cow's milk around then.
Finally, there's an abundance of fresh fruit and veg so your little girl will probably enjoy lots of home cooked meals although you can get the tinned baby food quite easily.
Hope you enjoy your stay in Nairobi!