Maadi Neighborhood in Cairo

Hey guys! I am a new member from the U.S. who will soon be moving to the Maadi neighborhood of Cairo. I am currently living in Palestine, and will be coming to Egypt in late January/ Early February. I will be working as a journalism intern and living in Maadi for 6 months.

I know close to nothing about Cairo or Maadi for that matter, and would love any advice from expats living there now. I would love to be able to possibly connect with any other foreigners living there currently, or find out where to meet other international students/workers in the Maadi area. Bar/cafe suggestions will be gladly accepted! Along with any other suggestions or things that may be helpful.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum im Palestinian born in Egypt :)
hope they help you with some good advices , many foreigners in Maadi area
reach safe : )

Hello,
I am Laila, i am an Egyptian who lives in Maadi, I can tell you more about Maadi and connect you to places or people ( not necessarily expats) who can provide you with the information you need and connect you to expats, such as a Tour Guide, if you're interested. :)

nomadjoe wrote:

Hey guys! I am a new member from the U.S. who will soon be moving to the Maadi neighborhood of Cairo. I am currently living in Palestine, and will be coming to Egypt in late January/ Early February. I will be working as a journalism intern and living in Maadi for 6 months.

I know close to nothing about Cairo or Maadi for that matter, and would love any advice from expats living there now. I would love to be able to possibly connect with any other foreigners living there currently, or find out where to meet other international students/workers in the Maadi area. Bar/cafe suggestions will be gladly accepted! Along with any other suggestions or things that may be helpful.

Thanks!

hey Nomadjoe
Let me know when you come Cairo, I can help you sort things out around town
see you soon
Best

HI Laura, I'll be moving Cairo next August. We'll be probably living in Maadi. Would llove to meet you upon arrival and keep in touch through this forum. First question,  are there any reasonably priced sports clubs in the area with a pool and tennis?  Thanks!!

Hello, recently moved from Texas to Cairo and will be living kinda sorta close to Maadi. I've had about a month's experience so far, so here goes the advice I was given and am still learning from...hope it helps :)

- Check out otlob.com for fast food delivery. It's an awesome tool if you don't feel like braving the Cairo-ian (?) streets and crazy traffic just for a bite to eat.

- If you get homesick, check out the malls here...I hate malls but they'll remind you of the west in general. There's Cairo Festival City (where a huge IKEA resides - however I don't suggest getting stuff from there, it's a bit overpriced compared to America...example: the same lamp that costs $15 in America is about 300 Egyptian pounds here), City Stars, and City Centre where a "Carrefour" is...which is basically a mix between Walmart and a grocery store. It has higher quality foods and even some American goods that are harder to find (like peanut butter). These malls also have American restaurants if you're sick of Egyptian food - Chili's, Applebee's, Macaroni Grill, even an El Chico (Tex-Mex).

- Other western-style grocery stores include Metro and Awlad Ragab. Carrefour is the best that I've seen though, but might be a little pricey. Still cheaper than America though lol.

- There are a lot of expats in Maadi and Zamalek, you'll be sure to find people to meet while just walking down the streets there or figure it out through a meet-up.

- Uber is the best thing ever. Getting around anywhere in Cairo is about 25-55 Egyptian pounds, which, compared to America, is amazing. I don't think tipping is necessary, we tried to give a driver a tip and he was offended and wouldn't accept it.

- Check out Cairo360.com or Cairoscene.com for upcoming networking events - they'll have some stuff for parties, concerts, etc.

That's all I've got so far, I'm sure more advice will come up the longer I stay here or from other expats!

So nice to hear from you. We'll  be moving to Cairo next August and we're originally from Texas.  I'll  be working at the American  School  there. Let's  keep in touch over this forum. Great information and much appreciated.

Hi . I'm from  San Antonio  .  MY Daughter and I will be moving there soon.  any advice on a place to rent ?   JOB  ?,

I will be moving there in june-July  . thanks for the advice .  I am from San Antonio .  ANY  job openings ?

We'll be moving there in August. We are moving from Mexico but originally from Mcallen. Hope to meet you there!

Hey we are living in maadi too,me and my gf Marie,she is American, if you need to meet, let's do,
xxxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange your contact details via private messaging
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey laila we are also living here in maadi,me and my gf, will be great if we can meet up,still making new freinds here.
xxx

Reason : Please exchange your contact details via private messaging

Hello Sara
Me and my gf just moved to maadi,she just arrived from california, still making our group of freinds,if you would like to join us, it will be great.

Reason : Please kindly exchange your contact details through the private messaging system.

Me and my gf from california just moved here rent is around 4000 pounds Egyptian empty apartment, 3 bed rooms,2 living,balcony,around 150 m.

Let's keep in touch over this forum. I'll contact you when we arrive.  This will be our first experience in Cairo,  and we're really looking forward to it.  Regards,  Carol

hello and welcome to Egypt
I can help you to show you around and to meet Americans who lived and work here.

Good day, Mostafa-  would you know of an ahtletic club in the Maadi neighborhood where they would have squash courts and swimming pool?  Appreciate any information you can give.  thanks, Carol

I'm a member in Shooting Club maadi and dokki where there is squash and 3 pools one olimpic.
Membership is 45000  $ per member lifetime including kids and next generation
But for a day use its 10$ per person and with the presence of the active member.
I play squash,idont since 2005 but I still can drop the ball dead in jn the corner blindly buy thought speed

Hi every vistors from any country to Egypt u will find here simple, kind live any one any any help just ask as a freinds not any more see you soon

yes sure
you can find in Maddi Club , or El Gezier club

you'll be welcome :)

It,s been a while but I lived in Madinaty and found the BCA in Maadi a good venue, recommend you give it a try

I guess Wadi Degla Sporting club has such facilities because I am a member there and I happened to meet a German lady who was playing Tennis there, if interested I may ask for you about the subscription fees.
Have a nice stay in Maadi and let's meet if you like to have Egyptian matured friends from Maadi as Well.
Hamdy Mohamed

I guess you can find a job as a teacher in one of many  international schools that are located in Maadi.

Hi Nancy get prepared cause schools started to look after native American English Teachers, if u need direct and full assistance please let me know,Ilive in maadi close to the American College, and sometimes in downtown.
Send me also your cv and try to show that you have experience 1-3 years
Diplomas and recommendations.