VCSE TESOL update please

Hi

An Australian friend of mine speaks highly of VCSE, having recently spent a year teaching in Vietnam. 

Just looking for an update on people's opinions of doing a Tesol through VCSE versus other providers,

I also noted the discussion re age.  I'm 63. Is that likely to be an issue re getting employment?

I have an Economics degree and a Masters in Business, but no formal teaching experience

Snibbo wrote:

Hi

An Australian friend of mine speaks highly of VCSE, having recently spent a year teaching in Vietnam. 

Just looking for an update on people's opinions of doing a Tesol through VCSE versus other providers,

I also noted the discussion re age.  I'm 63. Is that likely to be an issue re getting employment?

I have an Economics degree and a Masters in Business, but no formal teaching experience

I can't speak to VCSE but I would instead recommend that you take the CELTA course.  It is expensive but is the only one that gives a significant amount of hands on practicum work with real students.  I did not take it but I was a former teacher.  ILA has a package that includes housing.  The CELTA has the highest regard among those doing the hiring in Vietnam and will help you overcome your biggest negative factor which is your age.  There is definite age discrimination in Vietnam and some schools even list a maximum age on their websites.  I was a year or two younger than you when I began teaching in Vietnam and did not find work for about two months and was hired by what most people consider a second tier chain to work in public schools.  In fact I loved public school work but many people can't hack it.  I was also fortunate that the school's head of instruction saw the value of and hired retired foreign teachers but that does not really apply in your case.  You will find work but be prepared to be leaving off a lot of resumes and for an initial nail biting period of unemployment.  If you have a decent retirement check you can wait it out.  There are still many older people teaching.  I think once you have overcome the hurdle of finding that first job, do a good job and they will not want you to leave.  Some places know that one attribute of older teachers is that they will not turn over nearly as fast as 22 year old world travelers.

Once you do get settled into a job, you may find unique opportunities to teach business English part-time.

Much appreciated

You can learn TESOL at Semeo language center, Their program is quite good with acceptable fee.

Thanks