Apply for Work permit but have no Bachelor or Master degree

Hi everyone,

My husband (a Kiwi) recently got a job and was asked to provide a Bachelor or Master degree in order for the company to get the Work permit for him. My husband has yet to complete his degree since he's been working full time all these years and finishing his study is not the priority. He did make it clear with the company from the start that he hasn't got any degree.                               

Has anyone got any similar experience or advice for us in this situation? The job is really great and I think it's such a shame if because of a minor problem that my husband cannot continue working.

Thank you,
Mi

If your husband can show references from employers for 5 years experience in the same field of work,he should be able to obtain a work permit. You should contact a lawyer who works in that area and just clarify this. The laws changed a few years ago in relation to work experience for WP's.

Ms. Thuy, you did not tell us what industry or occupation your husband is employed in. 

In addition to the requirements on the worker's side, isn't there also a requirement that the employer demonstrate that there are no qualified Vietnamese available to take the job?  That may actually be the case with your husband's position, but they still have to go through the motions.  In the case of English teachers, being a native speaker is considered a unique qualification so the 5 year requirement is waived but the degree is generally not.  Of course there are ways around that with other jobs like advertising in obscure newspapers, just as is done for many H-1B visas in the US.   In Vietnam there are even more ways around the rules.

Thanks for your reply.

My husband's job is in food and beverage and he works as a sale rep for the company. On top of the selling skill, the position requires cooking experience, and someone who can speak Vietnamese.

Sounds like a combination of skills and experience that should be hard to find in one person.  Good luck on documenting the 5 years.  Failing that there is always the financial remuneration route as I am sure you are aware.

Hello,
Let me ask some question, is YOUR husbnd on the job already?
If Yes or no, well this is the way out.
Am Electrical engineer by profession, and  also a certified safety supervisor on oil and gas certification., also certified Tefl .i have worked 5 YRS as a registered engineer before coming to vietnam.
Now this is the rules ačross such professional jobs,
As AT febuary this YEAR, the vietnamese laws REGARDING work permit was divided into three category such as
1 work permit for professional, example, engineers, lawyers, doctors,  english teachers  supervisors etc.with DEGRESS 4-5yrs, and other related professional čertifičate
2 work permit, for technicians, with, 5 YRS Technical experiences,
3 craft men e.g learning, on the job, by a company in which he or she will obtain  a certificate upon, complimention of Training.
        So on this basic analysis. Wish aspećt can you group YOUR husband?
On a safe note, IT is advisable that YOUR husband can write an e-mail, to is PREVIOUS company in his OWN country, asking them, to give him, a letter, called, QUALIFICATIONS  HANDS ON JOBS /  EXPERIENCE TO WORK ON THIS ASPEĆT OF JOB. CARRYING THE YEARS HE WORKED FOR THE COMPANY.
SIGNED, AND STAMPED, BY HEAD OF OPERATIONS, HR, AND HIS DEPARTMENTAL HEAD.
    THE LETTER CAN BE SEND TO HIS EMAIL  PRINT IT OUT, AND TAKE IT TO HIS OWN EMBASSY, FOR LEGALIZATION AND ALSO NOTARIZED IT.
IN DOING ALL THIS, LET HIM, TAKE THE LEGALIZED  AND NOTARIED LETTER WITH IS CURRENT VISA TO HIS EMPLOYER .
      THEN IS EMPLOYER WILL USED THE RECEIVED LETTER AND HIS VISA TO  APPLY A WORK PERMIT, 3 category for, him, sayng that as a foreigner, on the job, they want him, to  have a company trade test on the job, and the letter show the prove on previous job done.
So with that he can be issued a work permit with vietnamese labour department, CARRYING  Training on job, mean while is salary still continue with the company.

If you are not a graduate, or a professional it is very wrong to be employed, and issuse a professional working permit.
Every individual  as a work permit according to his / her educational background.
    even in teaching areas. does teachers without, degree and and teaching professionalčertificate, can not have a work permit, stating professional teachers. they can only, work with current visa, in school. and because, they have white skin, with visa schools, center can employ them.base on visa, and and a native speaker.
but it is adviceable  to respečt a country law while staying on residing ,
  some, professional, jobs demands work permit.
and having a visa or a resident card of a country does not qualifies you to work in that country, and been married to the country individual also does not qualify you to work in the country. what gives you right to work, is your legal document wish is the work permit, it covers, every aspect.
     most teachers teach in vietnam without degress because, most vietnamses school, has respečt for country, and white skin. but vietnamses government laws, has respečt for, professional, qualifications, not country, or colour. once you are professional qualifies in the absent of vietnamese on the job. you can be employed.
all the best.
thanks,
tracy from, nigeria.

Hey,

I have not done it myself but I am told that you can do it through agencies the same way, but you obviously must pay more (I guess that's upto the agent and there contacts) but it is totally do-able.

hope this helps