Are you happy in Japan?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in Japan? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in Japan happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

No I am not happy. Most japanese are very closed minded(at work), very tough to work for japanese owned/managed companies....

I lived in Switzerland for 3 years and strongly disagree that they are even close to being happy.  It is a beautiful country, plenty of money floating around, but the people are generally speaking 'emotionally constipated'.

Japan is a very good place for me.  The people are very polite and it is definitely a safe place to live.  Learning the language has been difficult for me, but I think sometimes I'm just being lazy as I get older.

I live in Sapporo very close to the 1972 Olympic jump site.  The weather here is far less hot in the summer than in Honshu.

Actually I'm not happy because of discrimination
If you are outsiders  mostly people don't like you
There's no matter your behavior good or bad you are a hard working or not.
Problem starts when you're working with local people otherwise if you're outside not good not bad situation.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience.  I am an outsider (as you say) and have not experienced the problems you have.  Discrimination exists everywhere; how you deal with it is still under your control.

karlrb wrote:

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience.  I am an outsider (as you say) and have not experienced the problems you have.  Discrimination exists everywhere; how you deal with it is still under your control.

The problem with Japanese discrimination is that is always there in a passive form 24 hours, maybe you are simply not aware of it or havent live here enough to understand what its going on, also you are a white male (same as me) and therefore have a "higher" status.