No more right turn at red light

So there is this new law supposedly taken effect several months ago. You can no longer make a right turn while the light is red. Except if you see a green bicycle light with the right turn arrow then you may proceed. Talk about the dumbness of their traffic law. How about installing a stop sign at beginning of each alley way merging into the main traffic?

JenneSaisQuoi wrote:

So there is this new law supposedly taken effect several months ago. You can no longer make a right turn while the light is red. Except if you see a green bicycle light with the right turn arrow then you may proceed. Talk about the dumbness of their traffic law. How about installing a stop sign at beginning of each alley way merging into the main traffic?

While, from my observation and driving experience, motorcycle/car/truck driving quality in Viet Nam has improved a couple thousand percent sense the early 1970's, the only thing that adding stop signs at the end of alley ways will accomplish is giving motorcycle/car/truck drivers another thing for them to ignore.

I've also noticed that, over the last decade, the police have become much more serious about enforcing traffic laws here in Viet Nam. Looking back, as a passenger, the 1940's and 1950's in America wasn't that great either.

I thought the non-observance of (any) 'traffic law'  ( ..as well as logic..?)
was well known here in Viet Nam.   I still see red lights ignored, along
with one-way(?) streets  (a joke)  as well as up to six people on a small
scooter, texting while riding or driving, the same seen so many times in
cities, towns and villages.

I'm curious to know where you have not noticed this too?

..or am I living in a parallel universe..?      :blink:

@Bazza139

"..or am I living in a parallel universe..?"

Our universes are the same. We also see the same thing in today's traffic. What those who were not here in the 1960's, 1970's and even 10 years ago can't comprehend, is how bad the driving was back then. Note, Thailand and Japan were even worse back then.

Note, between 1960 and 1975, I drove in Viet Nam, Mexico, Japan, Thailand, Canada and America. Believe me. The way they drive here now days is way mild compared to the old days. Lots less dead bodies laying in the streets and highways as well.

My first trip to Vietnam in 2002 you'd see bodies littered along the side of the road between Can Tho to Ho Chi Minh city. Bikes strewn with the left side mirror dangling. I don't recall anyone wearing helmet back than and cyclos were abundant.  Heck even paint was a rarity. People drove which ever side they want.

A lot has improved now compared to years ago but still got lots more to be done.

Where I am located must be the most dangerous intersection. Nga tu Vung Tau. Bikes get regularly crushed underneath trucks but I see lots of improvement to make it safer the last 3 years I've been here.

I don't disagree, but a recent trip thru Laos I saw 3 dead before the border,
then another 2 in Laos.   Bad roads?   My bum was bleeding well before
Luang Prabang so I threw the towel in and flew back.

Improved?   Well, at least 'they' are doing the roads up, but yes,
a long way to go...   Helmets are still a maybe.  Too often, not.

But road rules..?   Just another event horizon.    Too far.      :nothappy:

This may be bad to say but where I am no one wears helmet. It's great you jump on the bike, wind in the hair, and go. It's never enforced. The roads are mixed between paved and gravel. Seen many wipe out from braking on the gravel. Haven't heard or seen any vehicle collision in this helmet-less area and notice people drive more 'proper' until they hit the areas where helmet are enforced.

This makes me conclude people will test the limit of what they can get away with. Vietnam needs patrolling  police instead of  all these standing traffic ticket officers.

khanh44 wrote:

This may be bad to say but where I am no one wears helmet. It's great you jump on the bike, wind in the hair, and go. It's never enforced. The roads are mixed between paved and gravel. Seen many wipe out from braking on the gravel. Haven't heard or seen any vehicle collision in this helmet-less area and notice people drive more 'proper' until they hit the areas where helmet are enforced.

This makes me conclude people will test the limit of what they can get away with. Vietnam needs patrolling  police instead of  all these standing traffic ticket officers.

These traffic pigs are too no where to be found when it rains. People here ride like maniacs when it's wet and slippery. I guess no one cares for the law of physics here.

"This makes me conclude people will test the limit of what they can get away with. Vietnam needs patrolling  police instead of  all these standing traffic ticket officers."
..and...
"These traffic pigs are too no where to be found when it rains. People here ride like maniacs when it's wet and slippery. I guess no one cares for the law of physics here."

Human nature..?   We all try to 'get away with'  (whatever) the easiest way we can.
As for the physics, natural selection takes care of that!    Integral to evolution.

Operant conditioning may be the answer.   I note the toll roads ban motorbikes,
and the traffic police loading (many) motorbikes seized from sad people onto
their trucks.   So maybe a change is coming..? 

I won't hold my breath...     :|