Applying for a EU passport

Hi!
I am planning on moving to London in the summer of 2009. My father was born in one of the european countries (but not in England) and I am eligible for a EU passport. I want to live there for one year minimum and I hear it is much better to have a passport than a working visa.

I'm confused as what I need to do-

should I visit the embassy of my father's country?
call somewhere in particular?
websites?

Should I look into a working visa in case I don't get the EU passport in time?

How long does it take to obtain either?

Thanks!

Where are you from Christina?

Yes, the best thing to do is to contact the embassy of your father's country.

Hi Julien - I'm from Canada.
I have 2 posts going on at the moment, one is in "Londres".

I will go to his embassy (Greece). I hope it won't be too complicated.

I believe they will give me a Greek Passport, though- so when do I actually obtain a EU Passport?

As long as you've got a passport from a country which is a member of the European Union, you can travel, work and live in every european country without any problem ... (you'll still have to do a few things with the local administration, like getting a national insurance number in the UK, but it's not very complicated)

i was in the same boat, but born in an eu country (poland),,,never bother getting the passport until the time came to move...well with being born there and having a social insurance number etc...it took a fabulous 10 months to get my passport...my friend who is greek it took hime 3 years to get greek citizenship through his parents?
good luck