Moving to Edinburgh

Hello everyone,
My husband 65, and myself 53 will be moving to edinburgh in the next year.  We won't be looking for work because we're both retired.  We plan on renting a small STUDIO FLAT. We won't be buying a car, we prefer public transportation. We would like a flat walking distance to a grocery store if possible. We would greatly appreciate any advice you have for us.

Hi loveedinburgh,

You haven't given me much to go on, but I can certainly point you in the right direction for flats in areas well serviced by local shops and good public transport.

Bruntsfield
My first suggestion would be Bruntsfield. Local shopping is excellent here with a good number of independent, boutique style shops, restaurants, delicatessens and good bars (Montpeliers being very popular). There is a fantastic baker at 185 Bruntsfield Place called Falco (falko.co.uk/ ) which you may want to check out. Bruntsfield has a huge number of very elegant, period flats which should appeal to you. Here's a photo and more info on Bruntsfield: scotlandcityguide.com/Bruntsfield-Edinburgh%281790611%29.htm

Morningside
My second suggestion would be Morningside. This famous suburb continues to be one of "the places to live" in Edinburgh and it's easy to see why when you come across all the wonderful shopping along Morningside Road. There are loads of really good independent bakers and grocers, not to mention wonderful little tea houses like Loopy Lornas ( loopylornas.com/da/86375 ). Morningside again has a great stock of really good victorian tenement flats which should come with some very fine period features. Here's a photo and more info on Morningside: scotlandcityguide.com/Morningside-Edinburgh%281790621%29.htm

Stockbridge
Stockbridge is one of the most desirable districts in Edinburgh. It has a trendy upmarket feel with shops to match. There are small flats to rent or buy here, but they will tend to be on the pricy side. However, many people are willing to pay the premium to live here for the special feel the area has. It's also close to the Water of Leith Walkway and has many fine independent shops, grocers and cafes etc.

Broughton
Broughton may not have quite the kudos of the other mentioned areas but is still worth considering. It is not far from the city centre and again comes with a good stock of Victorian tenement flats. Some flats may not be of as high quality as the other areas, but they make up for that in being a little cheaper. Broughton Street itself has excellent local shops, pubs and restaurants and there is easy access to the East end, the St James shopping centre, the Playhouse Theatre and Omni Cinema Complex. Broughton may not be as polished as the other areas but is worth a look. Here's a piccy and a little more info on Broughton: scotlandcityguide.com/Broughton-Edinburgh%281789985%29.htm

I really hope these suggestions are of help. They are all well regarded areas with a good selection of quality flats and excellent independent shopping/ cafes/ grocers etc. It's also only a short journey by bus from all these areas to and from the City Centre.

Best wishes for your new life in Scotland.

David

Hello David,

Excellent contribution ;) Do not hesitate to participate on the other discussions of Scotland forum ;)

Regards