Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Vanuatu

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Vanuatu can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Vanuatu?

What are the most common clichés about life in Vanuatu in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

One of the biggest misconceptions is how easy going government is here.
The government departments are quite separate identities that seem to be a law unto themselves charging fees at their own digression with no idea  how much an individual has paid out . For example  someone building a business from scratch. Tax free Vnauatu I think not.   Greedy departments after money. Yes the island has a go slow attitude. But when a building permit and fees are paid in August and it is now October and  I still do not have a building permit number this is rediculous. The inefficency here is stifling business and the economy. The ANZ bank was paid and given 2 weeks to prepare my immigration bond . When I arrived for it. Nothing was done and I was left sitting at a desk in the bank while an employee  disappeared for an hour and a half to do it. To get a post office box address  I paid and was receipted  for a post office box it took me 5 visits to the post office on 5 different days to finally get an address.
Saying all this and ranting on.. I still consider it a privilege to live here and count myself very fortunate  and blessed