Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Montenegro

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Montenegro can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Montenegro?

What are the most common clichés about life in Montenegro in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

In my opinion, the 2 biggest clichés are on the following topics:
1/ corruption, nepotism, etc.
2/ crime, safety...

1/ I don't think that there is more corruption in Montenegro than there is in most other "western countries". Corruption doesn't always take the same "shape" so it's hard to compare, but in France, where I come from, there is still corruption (within administration, etc.), nepotism, etc. There is some corruption here in Montenegro, but it is never an obligation to participate in it. In the property field for example, if you respect the laws, and the deadlines, you usually get your building permits etc. you just need to be patient.

2/ This is probably the biggest misconception people have about Montenegro, is the impression that it is a dangerous country with a lot of crime. It is actually a very safe country, on many levels. There is very little "small crime" such as pick-pockets, burglaries, aggression in the street, etc. Again, if I compare to France where I come from, I feel completely safe in Montenegro, at any time of day or night. When I was living in France, in places considered safe, I always carried a pepper spray with me, I have been attacked once with a fire-arm, and was regularly verbally assaulted in many different cities.
I had no idea Montenegro was so safe before I moved here (most people I told I was Moving to Montenegro were always answering things like "isn't there war there?" - even though the war was over for almost 20 years already...) but if I had to state one reason why I prefer to stay here rather than to go back to France, I would probably say it is because I feel so safe here.

yes i agree with the comments that Montenegro is a very safe place to live in compared to my home country of Ireland .I actually feel safer here walking streets than in Ireland.

I Live in Ireland am retired,divorced and ready to move on....😃