US moving to Malta

Hi Members,
I am moving to Malta in the next few weeks, thanks for the informative site.  So much information but I still have a few questions....This seems to be based on UK info, correct?

Are the laws the same for US citizens?

I went to the bank today and received a letter of reference (posts about banking acct. docs needed) to open up a bank account.  Also, will use my credit card for purchases since no international fees, still trying to figure out "no fees" cash withdrawals. Do I need to show income? or are balances/good standing sufficient (letter)?

This website explained the Long Term leases too....So after exhausting numerous emails about long term rentals, I have decided to get a hotel for the first 10 days.  The leases available on line seem to be bogus after corresponding.

Also, the cost of living seems to be based on 2 people, what about solo traveler, just split in 1/2? Of course it depends on my lifestyle....I will adjust accordingly! Can you help w/ this??

Can you swim in sea during winter? Should I bring wetsuit or available to purchase?

Thanks AGAIN!!! You are the BEST!

whams1133 wrote:

Hi Members,

I went to the bank today and received a letter of reference (posts about banking acct. docs needed) to open up a bank account.

My info is few years old from the time when we were opening our bank accounts, but local banks would not accept reference brough in by the person, they insist on requesting it directly from the person's bank themselves.

I think everything is basically going to be cheaper in the US than Europe, but it should all be easily available to buy online if not in the shops.

You can't really split costs in half, 1 meal for 2 isn't half the cost of one meal for one when you are cooking. It's probably about 60-70% of the price of a couple, living alone. That is if you don't want your own apartment, in which case the cost of living alone is much closer. It's the same all over the world.