Trip to Colombia - Safe to travel in Bogota?

OsageArcher,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.  I hate to tell you how many years before your time in PR it was, but I left NYC in 1969 to teach at Sacred Heart in Santurce. I lived in the Condado, not far from the Condado Beach Hotel, which was the first place I stayed as a tourist before moving.  I believe it was just after the time of Munoz Marin.

Of course, it's years later and I'm semi-retired with income aside from SS, as I operate an Internet-based business and have trust income.  Now, however, it's kind of a doomsday scenario in the works, as I'm expecting the Trump-led Republicans to kill Medicare and maybe cut or kill SS.  It goes without saying that the unforeseen is rather disturbing. 

So, I actually looking at the north coast, Barranquilla, Santa Marta, Cartegena area.  I like it hot, not the mountains, and I'd prefer to be close to the US consulate. I'd also like it smallish, rather than bustling. I live in Tucson now.  By the way, I speak, read and write Spanish and would have no trouble conducting business in a second language.  Also, after many years in Mexico, I've learned to read body language, as well.

Again, thanks for the reply.

DM

I lived in Bogota 7 years. Never had a problem except with my girlfriend. You made Many mistakes! Never stay in a hostel. Besides the bedbugs. Never go clubbing in Chapigay, Zona Rosa or Central w/o native Rollos. I never did. Party in a small neighborhood. I lived in Barrio Colombia. Next to 7th de agusto.
Taxi drivers are a problem! Take Uber. Totally safe. Don't be cheap.