How to find a nanny?

Hello fellow expats!

We just moved to Helsinki and are looking for a nanny for our 9-month old.
I heard kids usually don't go into daycare until they are closer to 1, given the (amazing!) maternity leave arrangements. And we haven't found any English daycare centers that take kids younger than 3 years, and potty trained.

So, if you have tips on finding a nanny (maybe even through the Finnish healthcare system) or you know of someone, I hope to hear from you.

Kiitos,
Jessica

Hi Jessica, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

You may also post an advert under Helsinki classifieds > job section. It might help you.

I wish you good luck and i hope other members will be able to advice you.
Christine

Thanks - I did just now. :-)

Is there a section on this forum, or do you know of a seperate email group for moms in Helsinki?

Kiitos,
Jessica

Maybe you should start a new discussion "Moms in Helsinki" on the forum?

If you have the funds and the room you could look for an au pair who speaks english. If that is not an option I think you should concider putting the child in a finnish daycare center. Under certain circumstances they do take even young kids, and think of the possibilities that will open up for your child when s/he learns finnish!

I used to work in a daycare center for finnish speaking children, except we were only speaking swedish with them so that they would learn swedish.They learned very quickly and we hardly had any problems.

We don't usually have private nannies here in Finland. You might be able to find one by going to the employment office near you and ask them to put up an ad tho. You could visit mol.fi for some contact information.

Hope that helps ^-^

Hi,
I am an American living in Helsinki and writing my Masters thesis. This situation allows me a very flexible time schedule throughout the week. I would be interested to help out if needed, if you would explain more of your desires from a nanny, e.g. how many hours a week and what times you would need someone. I have a lot of nanny experience, but mostly with 1 year +. I have another American friend moving to Finland in April that may also be qualified and available for what you are looking for. Any additional information would be helpful. I'm also happy to tell you more about myself.

hei hei jessica....

good luck and welcome to finland...

And for those who find this post because they are in a similar situation, here's the happy ending:

We ended up finding nannies by asking around and after a while registered for a spot in the public daycare system: hel.fi/ select English and find your way through 'Families and Social Services' and 'Families, children and young people'.
The public registration is pretty straightforward, and you can look at a map for your top 5. Then they guarantee a spot within 4 months, but not necessarily one of your top 5.

There's also an emergency service on mll.fi where you can ask for a nanny last-minute. With have mixed experiences with these ladies, but it's always good to have at hand.

Good luck!
Jessica

Good afternoon! My name is María and I am from Spain. I have experience taking care of small children back in my country and I am available most of the day.
I could work as a nanny in Helsinki.
If you are interested, you can contact me on my email: [email protected]

Hi Mariasolana,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please post your job search in the Babysitting in Helsinki section please.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team