What is your favoritate fall event, adventure, or actvitiy in Hungary.

As I write this, the fall equinox is just a few days away. While the Gaelic festival of Samhain, is coming next month.

What do you like to do in the fall in Hungary?

For example, when my wife was the local mayor, she organized a fall harvest festival.

https://stcoemgen.com/2013/10/06/all-ha … -and-vids/

Going outside for a long walk in fall weather perhaps stopping for a hot spiced wine, or is that in winter? Anytime is good in my book!

klsallee wrote:

As I write this, the fall equinox is just a few days away. While the Gaelic festival of Samhain, is coming next month.

What do you like to do in the fall in Hungary?

Ah, you mean Autumn.

Well, nice walks in the leaves in the forest.  Good for kids in their Wellington boots.

And also for kids, collecting and playing conkers (see here: How to play conkers)

I just came back from my MTB cycling around the forest and it's distinctly turning cold when out of the sun.

Went to the "Pig Slaughter" festival at the railway museum last year. It's basically a food and drink festival with sausages as the main theme, with bands and entertainment. Had a really nice time. Also it's in a nice setting and the steam train ride was running.
I think the festival is running again this year (October).

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Do not promote your website and services on the forum please.

Walked around the city park last Sunday. Noticed the ice rink is being done up for the winter.
I would LOVE to skate, it just looks so wonderful.
Problem is although my "dreamer" husband bought me some fantastic skates, leather sharp and just my exact size, I have 2 really bad knees.
3 dislocations on one knee and moderate arthritis with surgery done on the other.
Have only been on ice once in NYC when I was 19, well over 40 years ago...
Does anyone know where you can rent those appliances for beginner skaters, those walker style things that they use to teach children with?
I am sure my balance and strength are good, just those darn knees going lame.
Would be embarrassing to find myself in the ER for a injury I am aware could and probably will happen on the ice. Have a couple of serious braces but those restrict movement allot.
Sad thing is my father was a fantastic figure skater.
Did a show on ice with his partner, the late great Sonja Henning, at Madison Square Garden in NYC when he was around 19 or 20.She had several Olympic Gold medals in women's figure skating in the 1930's, did many Hollywood films showing her talents.
Too bad I didn't get his strong knees.
Otherwise in snowy weather we like sliding in the park on the mini-hills, I often tumble down but it's all good being just a few inches off the ground.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I am sure my balance and strength are good, just those darn knees going lame.
Would be embarrassing to find myself in the ER for a injury I am aware could and probably will happen..

Knees are a human evolution work in progress. The design is not perfect at all.  I was quite into skiing way back when but my knees couldn't take it now. Being overly ambitious I whacked my right knee into a tree. It's never been the same since but only the past say, 5 years it's been playing up.  Anyway, no skiing now.  Same for skating. I'm watching my young 'uns from the sidelines these days. However, cycling seems to be Ok. Not quite figured that out.

fluffy2560 wrote:

However, cycling seems to be Ok. Not quite figured that out.

Cycling is easy on the knees. No direct weight pressure or impact (such as with jogging) and linear to the knees without any expected angular deflection (just get your Q factor correct). Actually one of the best exercises for those with knee problems is cycling.

I have been a cyclist for 35 years. My favorite sport. Second runner up is Nordic Skiing, which is similar, but has a greater risk on the knees if one is not skiing on groomed trails (or if one slips out of the track). But of course that is a winter event, not an autumn/fall event.  :)

klsallee wrote:

.....just get your Q factor correct). Actually one of the best exercises for those with knee problems is cycling....or if one slips out of the track). But of course that is a winter event, not an autumn/fall event.  :)

Good tip on the Q Factor.  Thanks.

Early autumn is good time to cycle. Not too hot, still some decent sun during the day, no snow or ice usually. There is some chance to slip when out on the MTB due to soggy leaves or wet rocks.

Yes they told me cycling is good for bum knees in my physical therapy sessions. I was riding a bike to the stores in Vegas, great weather for it and no one walks there so the sidewalks were all mine.
I refuse to ride on the streets, know too many people who have been hit or killed by cars in the US. Too many lazy drunk drivers in Vegas and silly old people who don't know when to say goodbye to driving.
My husband even brought his skies over here to HU!
Silly man, he never says die.
I actually prefer water sports, at least the landing is softer.
I was also told in my PT that some of my yoga moves were not good for the knees for someone with issues already. Still have not given it up but have been more careful about some of the moves.
I use a elliptical machine daily, ok for the knees too, maybe not as good a a bike but I already bought the machine. In Vegas we picked up a  stationary reclining style bike, was told that angle  is the best one for bum knees when biking. It is the sort I used in PT.
Squats too using balls to stabilize the knees while bending.
Ankle weights, stair stepping in a quick steady order, a good part of my mornings are spent do this knee work... Life long from now on!

I moved back to the US, and what I miss most this time of year is MINDENSZENTEK on Nov 1.  I absolutely loved going to the cemetery at dusk and just quietly wandering through the paths and watching the candlelights flicker, and families gathered around their loved ones.  The first time I went I was so enchanted (the wooded hillsides of Farkasreti temeto) I almost froze because I couldn't pull myself away to go home!

octobop wrote:

MINDENSZENTEK on Nov 1.

This is All Saint's Day. Commemorated by many Christian denominations.

in the USA, consider visiting a Mexican/Latino Day of the Dead event, as they are similar in origin (even if different in practice).

And of course, they are all also based on the pagan end of harvest events, such as Samhain.