Support for Newcomers

I have now lived in Quito for 19 days.  Things are moving in stops and starts.  I have a very close friend here who is native whom I met during my research and previous visits.  He is a god send but I fear I am wearing him out (interestingly a phrase not even comprehended in this culture).  I have found a beautiful apartment and I am getting that ready to move in.
I am thinking, though it would be good for me to reach out to and stay in touch with other US expats.  I have followed and reached out to others prior to my move and was disenchanted by all the complaining, so I am more interested in communing with those with attitudes like Priscilla and Susan in Ecuador, on this site.
I am male, recently retired at 62 and in most ways, new to Ecuador.  Let's chat.  My communication may a bit sporadic until I am able to establish permanent connections to the internet, etc.

Priscilla works for the home office and the other is a facilitator.  I am sure both are very nice, but It is their job to have positive attitudes and be helpful. The rest of us, not so much.

Disappointed in this site once again.   I wonder why some of you have chosen to live here.

Why you say that?  :unsure

Because the majority of people entering messages are complaining about the way things are in Ecuador.  This isn't the US. It is really privileged thinking Ecuadorian culture should change for us.

From Jade River's three posts to date on this thread....

"All the complaining ... Disappointed in this site again ... the complaining...."

--------

OK, we get it, Jade River thinks there's too much complaining on this “site.”

Perhaps Jade River fails to see the irony in his repeatedly complaining about too much complaining.

To reduce the complaining going forward, Jade River might consider putting a stop to his complaining about the complaining.

cccmedia

Hi JadeRiver,

I guess that you should really be in love with Ecuador and this is why you are so disappointed to see some negative comments about it. ;)

However, as Expat.com is a free platform where members post their questions, exchange information and share experiences, both negative and positive experiences are welcomed. We should not forget that each experience is different.  :idontagree:

For those who posted some negative comments, they are probably looking for help, so lets try to make their life easier by sharing some useful information. (Let's share our good vibes ) ;)

cccmedia wrote:

OK, we get it, Jade River thinks there's too much complaining on this “site.”

Yes, i agree with cccmedia, we get it !  :top:

If you have some interesting tips to encourage more positive information on the forum, please post them in the help us to improve the website forum.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Irony reigns. Thanks Priscilla.

I do love Ecuador.  The people here, so far, have been much more tolerant and welcoming. 

This exchange has been very helpful. 

Is there a way to private message people who post?  I would really like to meet other retirees enjoying their retirement, like I intend too, in Quito.

Thanks so much for your posts and help.

JadeRiver wrote:

Is there a way to private message people who post?  I would really like to meet other retirees enjoying their retirement, like I intend too, in Quito.

To welcome you to Ecuador's capital, I have just sent you a PM message with Internet contact and event information about an Oktoberfest party being offered in Quito by a group that especially welcomes Expats.  It's coming up this week on Thursday, September 22nd.

You can access the PM message-area by clicking on the envelope-icon above, at the top of the page.

cccmedia

Thanks CCmedia.  You have always been very helpful.