Dealing with homesickness in Switzerland

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Switzerland can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Switzerland? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,

Just wanna share some ideas that helps me a lot to survive and enjoy life in switzerland far from my mother land, Philippines. Anyway, first thing to do, you need to learn the language, there are 4 (German, French, Italien and Romansh) it depends where do you live and in my case, I come from french speaking area and I know very well english language. However, speaking english won't really help a lot in this country, i would say 60% of the population in Switzerland don't speak english. So sad because they said that people here doesn't give any warm welcome to foreigners which I felt too during my first 6 months of living here. Enough about this experience, but I highly recommend to you guys that learning the language is the best thing to do to avoid being bored in this beautiful country and plus, you can meet people and soon become friends with them.

And for the shops, I am Filipina and love to eat rice and Pinoy or Asian taste food, luckily, this country can offer everything we want and many Asian shops around.

I hope I help you guys. By the way, I come from Lausanne.

Mhabel

Having a hobby is a very good thing to cover homesickness and friends from the homecountry

If you are French and above 30 and with no ties here in Switzerland, you'd better go back to France frequently, it's the only way to avoid homesickness. It is almost impossible to make friends (real friends I mean, not acquaintancies) among the Swiss population (particularly in the Canton de Vaud). So meeting and befriending foreigners (or Swiss with foreign origins) will help you to feel integrated. I have been living here for more than 10 years and did not make 1 Swiss friend. All my friends are Italians, French, Spaniards, Germans etc... A "pure" Swiss will never invite you to his home, will hardly share emotions, will always consider you as a foreigner, will practise a sport with you but outside the weekly meeting at the club will never call you...  It is a wonderful country with very nice people but so reserved and distant as far as Swiss are concerned. Thank God 33% of the population has foreign roots so these 33% will be much more welcoming and you should concentrate on them to avoid homesickness. Now if there is any group of French people or foreigners from whatever country willing to meet together and share about this and make friends, I am eager to meet!  Let's be stronger together to face the winter :))  and climb these beautiful mountains!

fitness every day, you will meet lots of friends and it will keep you healthy, you need a hobby and common friends!!

Now imagine foreigner in France vis a vis native Frenchmen. Same exact thing mon ami.

may be this link can help you: http://www.jobs.ch

Hi, have you tried the different french associations? I want to give a try as I don't know where the mexicans are :/

What type of French association? I do not know any. Anybody wants to introduce me there?   I know Mexicans in Yverdon, very friendly BTW

Hi, for VVP-  the person asking about french associations:
Alumni Grenoble-INP
Amicale des bretons de Suisse
Amicale francaise du Haut Lac
Amicale francaise d'Yverdon-les-bains
Association des francais en Suisse AFS
Conseil de la Communauté francaise de Suisse Romande CCF
Union des francais de l'etranger, représentation Suisse Romande UFE SR

Those are the one's that I got on a leaflet, I don't really know what do they do each one, but probably doing an approach, will help, so good luck!

Cheers