Dealing with homesickness in Italy

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Italy can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Italy? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I have been living in Tuscany for 6 months now away from my 5 kids ( in their 20's ) , family and friends. I made sure everyone had downloaded Whats App on their phones before I left so I can call when I'm feeling homesick. And for my kids...we also FaceTime.
The time difference is challenging, as they all live in California, which is 9 hours difference. I am usually waking them up in the morning or wanting to go to sleep at night when they call.
I've made a lot of friends here in Cortona and make plans often with them, as I feel the camaraderie of being with other expats is beneficial to feeling a part of a community and sharing in feelings of homesickness.

Hmm let me think 😏😄

Having lived in the past in Florence, the homesickness really hit during Thanksgiving. Getting together with other American students for that day 50 years ago, sharing roast chicken (was very poor) and jam helped. I will be sure to  bring dried cranberries with me this time . Funny about missing that cranberry sauce!

I live in Italy and do miss some things about "home."  But, when I'm in the U.S., there are things about Italy that I miss.  It's a balancing act.  I maintain regular contacts with family and friends from home; sometimes that helps, sometimes that makes me feel more homesick.  I've gone through periods that have lasted a couple of months in which I question what the heck I'm doing in Italy; they generally pass and I'm happy to be here. Like I said, a balancing act.  Focus on what you want your life to be like, and where, then make it happen.  Keep your sight on the ball.   :top:

You hit it on the spot. Being "up north" you have the benefit of a large expat community. Here in Lecce, that is not the case. It remains to been seen how well I'll handle Thanksgiving alone.

I cure homesickness by returning home...... after about 48 hours I remember why I left in the first place

:D
Just got home to the U.S. a few days ago. Yup, ready ( but unable) to leave at this possibly most stressful time of the year. I comiserate! Greetings to expats of the world.

to deal with homesickness, food is the best solution.
(at least to me)
I try to find the nearest grocery stores / supermarket / speciality stores that stock products from my country.....

sometime i am forced to get friends from my home town to send me supplies of food.
expensive shipping, but it really helps with the homesickness :)

reginadow1 wrote:

Having lived in the past in Florence, the homesickness really hit during Thanksgiving. Getting together with other American students for that day 50 years ago, sharing roast chicken (was very poor) and jam helped. I will be sure to  bring dried cranberries with me this time . Funny about missing that cranberry sauce!

this is interesting. i did not expect cranberry to be part of american culture!