Dealing with homesickness in Greece

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Greece can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Greece? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi priscilla,

I don't live in Greece yet but I understand the feeling of homesickness. I suffered from it once too, when I was in England for a year. In my experience the best you can do is get in contact with the locals and make as many good friends as you can. They hopefully help you to get over your homesickness.
Of course this shouldn't prevent you from cooking traditional dishes from your home country or talk to your family and your old friends.
A mixture of both always helps me to keep my personal balance and forget about home sickness :)

Greetings,
Aurélie

Well, being away many years from my home country and friends I would say, try to make an effort to stay connected with your friends and family, follow-up the news of your country of origin and of course try to fill the void with new local friends, that would be a great way to feel home!

Internet connection is enough... :)