Receiving packages from US family & friends

A care-package arrived for us at the post office in Rehab from a friend in the US. The package has an American shipping receipt of $45 (paid by my friend) on top with a list of the three gifts inside. The Rehab post office told us that we needed to pay an additional 100EGP for customs tax on the three items. What?!?!? Seriously??? My friend who shipped the package would be horrified to know that.
Question: What is the best and most reasonable way to receive packages from family and friends in the US?
I have not found any quality resources online. Any advice you fellow expats have will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

let someone who comes to Egypt take it with him/her. That is the best solution, because packages can get lost too!

I received several packages from US and UK through the post office and each time I had to pay certain fees although the shipping was fully paid from the other side,the last package I got from UK they brought to my home and i didn't have to go get it my self from the post office...the fees is a kind of irritating but the service is trustworthy and reliable...

Although I have the option of having packages delivered to my place of work, I'm also interested in a more efficient way to have packages delivered, being the online-shopping junkie that I am. *blush*

Are DHL/UPS/Fedex reliable services here in Cairo?

Fedex and DHL cost the earth and charge huge amounts in import tax.  By the time you open that nice package you have been waiting for it will have cost you double what the goods cost - at least.  I don't do it anymore.  Best way is for someone to bring the stuff with them or for you to go 'cold turkey' and give up shopping on line.  I have tried everything and the only cheap solution is in someone else's suitcase.