What’s the name of that ingredient in Ecuador?

I was at American Deli today for their Michelada promo of 2x1. So I sat down, and the waiter brings me a couple of club cervezas, some ecuadorean tabasco sauce which I'm grateful exists because standard tabasco or mcsomthing is outrageously priced here, some black sauce (see below), and 2  salty rimmed mugs with seasonings and lime juice inside.

Worcester sauce – Salsa Inglesa

another one

Rice Flour- arroz en polvo (at megamaxi), and much cheaper than imported brands at Asian stores (Korean).

Please share some ingredients' names you might have that are not as simple or can save us a few bucks.

Or list an ingredient you want to know the name of, maybe someone knows.

This would be a good link to add as a sub-topic, if that is possible, to the "Learning Spanish" topic.  Perhaps another sub-topic there would be "To Do's and Taboos" in Latin American locales.

You're an idealist lois2b, and I mean that as a compliment. Perhaps, but for some ingredients it's not about translation because Salsa Inglesa translates as English sauce, but in fact it's Worcester sauce.

Today I bought the Salsa Inglesa from Santa Maria for $1.65 and much cheaper than brands sold as Worcester sauce, and also purchased locally made Tabasco sauce or Salsa de aji tabasco which is 2x-3x cheaper than imported, but unfortunately has MSG.

Crema de leche... heavy cream...

Crema agria...sour cream... which is often hard to find, or much more expensive then the plastic packet of heavy cream...

Trick?  Add jugo de limon (lime juice) to your heavy cream and you have, perfect thick almost Breakstone Sour Cream perfect lucious sour cream.

If you enjoy cottage cheese, but can´t find it, try a cow milk only queso fresco, crush it up in a bowl tot he size curd you prefer, and add some regular milk to it.  Let it sit in the fridge from about 30 minutes so the cheese absorbs the milk and, you have really good fresh cottage cheese for all those bananas and pineapple and noodle dishes too,

That's right, Nards, it's Worcestershire sauce.

Gringo pronunciation... WOOS-tuh-sheer.

Susan_in_Ecuador wrote:

Crema de leche... heavy cream...

Crema agria...sour cream... which is often hard to find, or much more expensive then the plastic packet of heavy cream...

Trick?  Add jugo de limon (lime juice) to your heavy cream and you have, perfect thick almost Breakstone Sour Cream perfect lucious sour cream.

If you enjoy cottage cheese, but can´t find it, try a cow milk only queso fresco, crush it up in a bowl tot he size curd you prefer, and add some regular milk to it.  Let it sit in the fridge from about 30 minutes so the cheese absorbs the milk and, you have really good fresh cottage cheese for all those bananas and pineapple and noodle dishes too,

Good info, haven't seen sour cream yet. Will try the heavy cream trick.

I´ve used that sour cream trick now for awhile and it works like a charm!... and the cottage cheese one as well. 

Queso Fresco will come in varieties, and depending on whether you are buying off the truck or from the dairy case, different regions have different flavors and some are mixed  goat (chivo) and cow (vaca), some just goat and some just cow.  The goat has the strongest taste and works well in place of a greek cheese like feta in a salad, the cow works well in place of ricotta.

That's true.  I do tend toward idealism.  And after four years in China, and virtually all non-indigenous veges being referred to in the market as "foreign" vegetable, and all root veges as radishes, I do know that it's not really about translation.  Thanks for the wake-up call!

This is not a translation theme, but I had to share this.  Am hooked on Maca, actually harina tostada de Maca, which comes in from Peru and is sold in a small bag for about $4 in Loja, southern Ecuador.
Maca on the package picture looks like a turnip, but someone told me that it grows on trees.  It is a good source of calcium, vitamins, etc.  Apparently the Incans used it as a booster.  Works for me just fine in plain yoghurt, very tasty.  I have heard that the untoasted powdered Maca is bad tasting, so go for the toasted one.  Can be found in those health pharmacies in the south, don;t know about the north.

HelenPivoine

I hardly every post here because I do not need a ten thousand message argument, but for the record Salsa Ingles may translate into English Sauce but it is not Worcestershire sauce. We can now get Worcestershire sauce here (at about three times the price of Salsa Ingles). The purpose of this posting is just to ask all of you from all nations to send me your desires so we can build a database of national products and try to source them! Please contact me through the private message system - Best regards, John

Actually, Worcestershire sauce is a fermented liquid condiment made with anchovy, vinegar, onions, molasses, high-fructose corn syrup, salt, garlic, tamarind, cloves, chili powder extract, “natural flavoring” and water

Lee & Perrins, made in the USA, is a sauce that differs from the British recipe. Its ingredients are listed as: distilled white vinegar, molasses, sugar, water, salt, onions, anchovies, garlic, cloves, tamarind extract, natural flavorings, chili pepper extract.

Salsa Inglese more closely approximate the real British version

That being said... my currant favorite salsa condimento here in Ecuador is:

http://www.productosole.com/photos/productos_principal_2szcnl_275x300.jpg

Straight from the bottle as a dip, or on homemde empanadas de queso fresco, or in cooking...pollo con broccoli over rice.

It´s now availabloe in the USA and they also have an excellent curry sauce so check out their site:  http://www.productosole.com/

Guys/Gals lets not complicate this. There is Worcester sauce and there is Worcestershire sauce as well. Salsa inglesa is Worcester Sauce and not Worcestershire sauce. Do a simple Google image search to understand there exists Worcester Sauce and Worcestershire sauce.

This is Salsa Inglesa (sold in Ecuador)
http://www.mccormick.com.sv/Our-Product … sa-Inglesa

johnAbell wrote:

Salsa Ingles may translate into English Sauce but it is not Worcestershire sauce.

According to my favorite English-Spanish online dictionary, www.wordreference.com , the following are both acceptable as translations in español for Worcestershire sauce....

1.  salsa inglesa

2.  salsa Worcester

-- cccmedia

Note:  The link indicated in blue is for the general Wordreference.com site.  To locate the site's Worcestershire Sauce page, google:  worcestershire sauce wordreference.com ....  The URL was too lengthy to include here.

Apparently, John Abell's presage of a “ten thousand word argument" is proving correct.

I got in the habit of saying salsa worcester...as opposed to worcestershire sauce... because I tend to think in Spanish when I am cooking or thinking about ingredients.

That being said, my meaning was that Worcesteshire Sauce and Salsa Worcester (sic) are intended to be synonymous.

My apologies for any confusion this may have caused to the cooks in the group.

No need to apologize because JohnAbell just posted to object without enlightening us what's the difference between salsa Inglesa and Worcestershire sauce. I've always thought that Worcestershire sauce differed from Worcester sauce because there are minor ingredients difference and the former uses more premium ingredients hence why worcester sauce is cheaper. i know this is true in other countries where worcester is also cheaper. I also believe that some Worcestershire sauces have a richer texture whereas salsa inglesa has a more watery texture. What's ironic is that the McCormic Salsa Inglesa has the rich texture on their label. This is just my opinion and I don't care for the Salsa Inglesa but only to make Micheladas.

I hope everyone is enjoying "Dia de Los Difuntos" or Day of the Dead. So as I mentioned before I could care less for Worcestershire Sauce, but only to make Micheladas. Previously I used Salsa Ingelsa, and today decided to go all out and get the original Lea & Perrins from Mi Comisariato for $5.48 for 5 oz.

On the receipt they simply printed it as "Salsa Ing", but anyway the purpose of this post is a taste test and price compare.

The Lea and Perrins is definitely more aromatic, I don't know exactly what it is but the smell is definitely more pleasant. The texture is nearly identical, and as for taste, probably comparable to Coke and Pepsi. I'm sure others will disagree but it's my taste test, so this is my finding. Perhaps the disparity is more obvious when it's a condiment to food because I simple tasted each. Michelada wise, I don't think I can judge because I'm also using McIlhenny Co Tabasco whereas previously I used the local brand (Oriental). As I mentioned the Lea & Perrins is $5.48 and Salasa Inglesa is about $1.50, so that's a huge difference, but Lea & Perrins does have natural ingredients whereas McCormic has some additives.

I also found and bought Scotch Bonnet, in the veggie section and it was simply labeled as 'Aji Roja." So I think Ecuadorean use general terms for specific items, but Scotch Bonnet is Scotch Bonnet and very high on the Scoville scale for those who appreciate a nice kick to their peppers.

I want to contribute my 2 cents to this 10,000 message argument.

Whenever I am in the beer section at Corral, there are always bottles of pre-mixed stuff for making micheladas.  Are those mixes woefully inadequate or overpriced ? 

http://micheladamix.com.ec/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/imagen-pedro.png

Hi, cccmedia,
Well, that depends on where you come from. I've heard "wor-shes-cher" and "wor-ches-sher" as well. ha

Regards,
PS

Hey Nards, I think I saw that same exact bottle in the beer section at Super Maxi, and actually thought for second about buying it or one of other ones next to it advertising authentic Mexican Micheladas, but chose not to because I didn't want to take the risk of being disappointed. I have no idea if they are inadequate or not but one can't go wrong with making Michelada with individual ingredients provided they are available.

-------------------------------------------

BTW just had a friend stop by and served him a few Micheladas (using Lea & Perrins, and original Tabasco sauce) and did I get any additional praise for these Micheladas as compared to ones I previously served with local ingredients, nope.

You know I use the Oriental brand Tabasco and find it to be pretty decent and affordable alternative to the imported Tabasco from the states, at least for putting on eggs and stuff.

Nards Barley wrote:

I want to contribute my 2 cents to this 10,000 message argument.

Whenever I am in the beer section at Corral, there are always bottles of pre-mixed stuff for making micheladas.  Are those mixes woefully inadequate or overpriced ? 

[img align=c]http://micheladamix.com.ec/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/imagen-pedro.png[/url]

I bought one today, the same exact brand, but the spicer one or "Hot Fiesta." Awful would be an understatement. I really can't emphasize that enough, it won't even get a second chance even if I'm desperate and have no limes or anything. The concoction is like Mountain Dew mixed with hot sauce.

But hey we all have different tastes, and if someone likes a Chelada, especially a spicy one, as opposed to a proper Michelada, then they might like this. But Lea & Perrins/Salsa Inglesa do make a big difference. This seemed to be lacking that particular taste.