Petition to help future residents of Costa Rica

Hi, mods - I hope this is okay to post here. If not please delete it and accept my apology.
There is currently a new petition to change the law requiring people in the process of getting legal residency to leave the country every 90 days to renew their drivers license.

If you would please sign it and spread it around to everyone you know, it may help us change this STOOPID requirement of leaving the country for 5 minutes to renew your drivers license, which is inconvenient, costly, and can be dangerous (having to drive, go to Nicaragua or Panama etc).

Anyway here's the petition if you are interested in changing this requirement:

Help Change the Law Requiring Residency Applicants to Leave the Country

Trying to get residency in a country that has "STOOPID" requirements, seems a little strange. FYI, Costa Rica doesn't care what you think.

The neighboring countries have the same requirement regarding driving privileges.

its still a STOOPID law. doesnt hurt to try. why be a hater rendrag...

I am not being a hater. You will not be heard. If you want a voice, become a citizen and vote.

rendrag wrote:

Trying to get residency in a country that has "STOOPID" requirements, seems a little strange. FYI, Costa Rica doesn't care what you think.

Thanks for your alert that Costa Rica doesn't care what I think. Actually some Ticos do care, it's a Tico attorney who is trying to change the law for future residency applicants, with the above petition!

Nothing strange about wanting to be a resident of a country that has some stupid requirements. All countries have some stupid requirements! But nothing wrong with making the requirements less stupid, either.

My Tico friends do care what I think and they actually agree with me that this requirement re the drivers license is stupid. Almost everyone I've spoken with about this thinks it's stupid. In fact my Tico friend told other Ticos about it and they all thought it was incredibly dumb.

To each his own. Think as you please. It's a free country. (More or less.)

Too many expats, imho, seem to think we have to agree with and find everything "Tico" great and see Costa Rica through rose colored glasses!

It's great to accept your new country and learn to be tolerant and understanding. But on the other hand, some stuff is just stupid and there is nothing wrong with helping to make Costa Rica even better in some ways. IMHO.

One easy way to help is to sign the above petition!

I said Costa Rica doesn't care. Did not mention Ticos. Imagine what would happen in the US, if a bunch of Mexican immigrants wanted to change a "stoopid" law.

rendrag wrote:

I said Costa Rica doesn't care. Did not mention Ticos. Imagine what would happen in the US, if a bunch of Mexican immigrants wanted to change a "stoopid" law.

Mexican immigrants - many of whom are illegally there even! - Do want to change laws, and in fact have managed to do so. Witness the law in CA that allows illegal immigrants to get a drivers license, get credit, buy cars on credit etc...

So your comment makes no sense. Mexican immigrants to  the USA DO try to change the laws and do succeed in doing so. And in my view there is nothing wrong with that as long as they are in the USA legally.

The key word in your comment is California.

I tried to sign the petition, but I don't think it registered? 

The proposal to allow one to get a temporary driver's license early in the process is also important. If someone's USA license expires shortly after they move to CR, they may not be able to renew their USA license or get a CR license, making it illegal for them to drive!

redbeard wrote:

I tried to sign the petition, but I don't think it registered? 

The proposal to allow one to get a temporary driver's license early in the process is also important. If someone's USA license expires shortly after they move to CR, they may not be able to renew their USA license or get a CR license, making it illegal for them to drive!

Thanks. I am letting the petition creator know the page is not working. Try again in a week or two.