Advice on towns between Malaga and Granada

I am hoping to be moving to the Costa de Sol within the next month.
I will be renting an apartment for the first 6 months to allow me time to find the right villa. I nearly rented in torrox pueblo a few years ago but worked messed it up.
Basically any advice on towns. I am looking for a more Spanish community than expat feel. The main motivation for the move is I am conversational in Spanish which is an achievement in itself as I struggle enough with English haha. So I really want to be pushed on and improve on conversational. Also snowboarding is important. So within driving distance to the Sierra Nevada. But more of a sunny climate is important.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm  going to Nerja  Costa Del sol  next month & renting a spanish villa if all goes well today , good luck  ..  Very excited

You may want to go just beyond Costa del Sol and head into Costa Tropical.  (1 hr from Granada and 1 hr from Malaga) The first pueblo driving from Costa del so into Costa Tropical is La Herradura. You can choose to hang out with expats or the locals.  Right next door is Almunecar (25,000 population) and still very Spanish town.  There are some expats from Europe, but not in masses.  It is right on the coast and just 1 hour from Sierra Nevada.   You could go to the next town, Salobrena as well.   There are many choices, but Costa Tropical is still traditional Spanish.  That said you give up a few conveniences when you take this route.  If you want a big variety of international cuisine and bigger markets, then Costa del Sol is the place.   We have been in Almunecar since 2012, nice sea views and on the coast.

Thanks for that. I may well check out there as well. All very last minute!!

I live in Gualchos, a working Spanish village 10 minutes from the coast where you can join the motorway for Granada and Sierra Nevada.
This is "authentic Spain" with a few Brits and Danes living here but essentially Spanish and very welcoming. Castell de Ferro is the coastal town with good beaches, shops , bars and banks