Customer care in Greece

Hello everyone,

The way customer services are handled can greatly affect your views on certain brands, products, companies or stores. As a consumer, it is important to get familiar with local practices regarding client assistance in Greece and try to understand how things work in the country.

How would you describe your customer service experiences in Greece?

Do you feel welcome when you enter a store? Do you get useful tips and advice?

Are after-sales services available in Greece?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I've not had much experience, TBH. I guess it depends a lot on where you're shopping: if it's a small, family-owned local shop, say, as opposed to a large multinational chain. What's your own experience in this regard?

My boyfriend told me that people are very friendly in Greece, especially when you go to a restaurant or hotel. But I can't talk about my own experience yet, because I have none.

They are friendly until you may make a complaint,if the need should arise,and then you may immediately see annoyance and an angry face,bit scary,they are not good with customers relations,this is for sure a mega problem of theirs,they take everything too personally.I saw on the news that a tourist on Santorini ordered his food but then saw from the open kitchen door that it looked filthy with cokroaches running about so he very quickly cancelled the order within minutes,the boss and another employee set upon him,beat him up,can you believe it,the police came.You are not allowed here to express discontent in any form.They dont like being told off,my son had his food put on the table as a tourist on an island, still half frozen,when he complained they took offence and got tricky so they need a school for good manners and customer relations,Greeks have a long way to go.

Having moved back to Greece about 15 years ago, I can say I'm happy with most of the customer service I get be it the supermarket, stores, hotels, restaurants.  Many are very friendly and courteous and I've never had a problem.

However, I'm not as thrilled with the service in the public service domain.  When I went to DEH (electric company) to request new service, one office I had to go to-the man sat there gossiping with the lady who delivers coffee... ignoring me and when I pointed to my watch (I'm pretty patient this was after 10 min of his gossip), his response was in a bit, you can listen too!!  As if I cared what he had to say!!! (he needed to show how giving -how much he gave to be precise to some lady who retired-as if I knew or cared).  I've never forgotten that experience.  Though I have no complaint with the tellers at DEH when I use to go in to pay my electric bill, they were always very quick and friendly... just seems those in office have gotten their ego inflated a bit.

My other bad experience was with a major bank in Greece. I went to take out a very small loan, I actually did it just for the purpose of creating credit in my name here in Greece (ok I grew up in the US so building credit is important though I realize now it doesn't work exactly same way here). Anyway, when the customer service rep was finished with my paperwork, I asked him for a debit card-to be connected to that loan. He quite rudely said based on an assumption "you don't work right? so you can just come in the bank anytime you want to withdraw or deposit", to which I told him I had better things to do than spend the day in line at a bank! He got upset, but went ahead with the paperwork needed.. did not speak to me after that just grunted & pointed to where I needed to sign-and that was it. Never went into that branch again!