Moving to Brazil with pets from USA!

Does anyone have info on moving to Brazil with pets that has moved in the last year! I am waiting on my viper visa.If approved.I will be moving to Brazil with my two dogs.They will fly with me from Miami to Fortaleza .One dog will be with me on the plane and the other as checked baggage.I was told I need to me sure their is a vet at the Fortaleza airport on arrival to check my pets over.How do find this out and notify them? How long does it take from when you arrive in Brazil till you get your pet? I was told once I get my luggage and thru customs that I have to go another building at the airport. Thanks !

Hello rc206 :cheers:

While waiting for members to tip in, I invite you to check out this article below :

> Travel to Brazil with your pet

You may also browse this forum section below to read experiences shared by members:

> Moving to Brazil with pets

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

i am literally working on my booking now. I have learned that it is almost impossible to travel with your checked pet as opposed to your cabin pet. You cannot book your checked pet until within 10 days after you get your health certificate. Also they can deny the pet travel if the weather in your destination is over 85, which you won't know until you are close to the date. Most people try to buy their own ticket at least 30 days out.

@rc206

Hi RC, 

Could you tell me which airline will allow you to take your dog with you in the cabin? My wife was looking into taking our dog and they only airline she found is Gol and now even they have prohibited it.

I am going to be dealing with this next April whenever l move to Brazil so l am interested to have any information.

l was considering using one of those pet relocation companies. But so far the ones l contacted were not only very expensive, they seemed shady and unwilling to answer questions until l contracted with them. I assume it's because they are all brokers and don't want you to know how they do things until after they got your $$1f600.svg

Feel free to add me as a contact and we can stay in touch. Cheers!

According to my wife's LATAM friend, inside Brasil many flights are delayed and/or canceled and your pet may be stuck in an airport baggage area that may be 85 degrees (F) or greater. Many airlines adopted a policy that states pets may not travel in the cargo area if the destination or departure is 85 degrees or more.

@Texanbrazil

Thanks a lot my friend. I guess by the time l travel next April things will be different anyway. Moving my dog is the one thing l don't have any experience with.

l know that since the USA banned dogs from Brazil because of rabies it's also gotten more difficult to travel from the USA to Brazil.

Hi, We flew to Brazil from the US in January 2021 and I had posted this previously:

"We flew from US with our dog in January 2021. First make sure the airline transports pets. You can look up all the requirements online for vaccinations. Make sure you do it soon because it is a process and it takes a while. You have to do a specific parasite treatment before the vet can do the physical and paperwork. Also try to find a vet who is familiar with the process. We were fortunate to find a vet who had gone through the process with 2 other dogs going to Brazil a few months before us so he knew exactly what to do and the timeline. We also experimented with anti anxiety meds in the months before our trip because our dog is very anxious. The flight went well with the dog and the airline staff was great. We flew Latham because Azul is not flying dogs. We will be living in Campinas for five years and bringing the dog has been awesome. Good luck! Charlotte"

Our dog was not in the cabin so I am not sure how that works.  I do see either cats or small dogs regularly on Azul flights from the FLL to VCP.  We drove from NC to Miami so we could fly directly and I would recommend you do the same if at all possible.  We flew into GRU and our dog (in Militairy crate) came out with the oversized luggage.  If the dog is on the same flight as you, you should be able to get your dog right away. At customs after we got our luggage we had to go to a separate area where someone checked all the paperwork but I don't think that was a vet.  No one looked at the dog at that time.  When checking in the airline staff checks all the paperwork and looks at the size of the crate relative to the dog etc. but you can find all those guidelines.  Yes, it was a hassle and very nerve wracking but it was so worth it to get our dog here!