What is your favorate Hungarian event or place to visit

Where do you go, time and time again?

The Opera?

A local pub/bar?

A regional event?

What would you recommend to visitors or other expats in Hungary as a "must experience" place or event?

If they are yearly events, don't forget to post them at:

https://www.expat.com/en/events/europe/hungary/

If it is a business you love, add them to the business directory so others can know about them:

https://www.expat.com/en/business/europe/hungary/

I have no affiliation with expat.com or with any business in Hungary. But it would be nice to know what other expats like, enjoy or recommend.   :)

Quite like taking the kids up the Budapest chairlift on a Sunday summer afternoon.  Up on the chairlift, ice cream at the top, then walk back down through the forest.

There used to be so many free music events in Budapest in the warm summer months.
Just about any open space would have a small stage set up and some local talent would play.
These days most of the events seem more like opportunities for vendors to sell goods then for the public to see free events.
Vendor after vendor selling food and drinks, not much real entertainment.
I have sort of given up on the Budapest events these past few years, just stall after stall of people selling stuff, they all seem like the same old junk too.
Last big event we did was when the Stones came to Budapest. Would see them again if they ever returned, if they don't kick it soon that is.
Used to go up castle hill for walks in the cool valley, might start again, got sidetracked post knee surgery and was just ok with being able to walk around the city not climb hills.
My thing is swimming, not much for winter sports.
I love seeing HUngarian folk dance live but lately they don't seem to have many performance groups.
All about the bottom line, not many free family events with music for all ages.
Loved it when they would set up huge tents in the city park and have bands play, the public could dance and also buy food and drinks but the events were not all geared just for the vendors like it seems to be now.
We have pretty much done all the major museums and spas over the years inside the city.
Tried some local dances with our elderly neighbor, ok we were at least 25 to 30 year younger then most of the crowd was but it was fun to get out with the locals and dance.
Have gone in the past to the city park to hear live rock music, there are a few ok bands that play there once in awhile.
I had a "morbid" hobby for a season, my husband sort of got tired of my obsession though, loved going into some of the very old cemeteries and reading the names. There were a few that really touched me and I wanted to bring flowers, hubby put a big stop to that when he realized it was going to cost him.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

There used to be so many free music events in Budapest in the warm summer months.
Just about any open space would have a small stage set up and some local talent would play.
These days most of the events seem more like opportunities for vendors to sell goods then for the public to see free events.
Vendor after vendor selling food and drinks, not much real entertainment.
I have sort of given up on the Budapest events these past few years, just stall after stall of people selling stuff, they all seem like the same old junk too.

Sadly, I experience the same. Every event, one sees the same vendors.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

All about the bottom line, not many free family events with music for all ages. Loved it when they would set up huge tents in the city park and have bands play, the public could dance and also buy food and drinks but the events were not all geared just for the vendors like it seems to be now.

Yes, I agree, a lot has become monetized.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

We have pretty much done all the major museums and spas over the years inside the city.

But as someone who has seen it all, for someone new to Budapest, what would you recommend?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I had a "morbid" hobby for a season, my husband sort of got tired of my obsession though, loved going into some of the very old cemeteries and reading the names. There were a few that really touched me and I wanted to bring flowers, hubby put a big stop to that when he realized it was going to cost him.

I actually gave quite a large donation to a local non-profit to fix up broken and fallen over tombstones because they were in terrible repair. Sad.

I think we should respect the departed. But this idea is not always considered here.

I actually grow flowers. A lot of them. Roses and iris (300 types of Iris). Anyone in my region who wants to come by and use flowers to place on a tomb, I will give for free as long as I have supplies. Iris bloom in the spring. Roses in the summer.

klsallee prompted me from the other thread....

Mrs Fluffy and I had cause to drive over Szabadsag hid (Freedom Bridge) today. 

We noticed a lot of changes down town.  It's a much more cosmopolitan place than it used to be.  Lots of tourists. New buildings, repaired roads and more cyclists on rented bikes.

Great view of the Duna curving off into the distance, with the castle district, chain bridge, parliament, and the radio tower completing a postcard scene.

If you plan a walking tour in Budapest you must see the Gellért hill, Art Nouveau buildings, Buda Castle in Budapest and last but not least the Heroes's square which is located at the end of Andrássy Avenue.

Any of the festivals are fine.  You don't have to buy anything and you can bring all your own food and drinks and no one bothers you.
I also like to get the 16 bus up the castle and see any art exhibitions.
Yesterday I just sat down by the river and enjoyed the views.  All of the tourist spots are worth going to and if I have got visitors I will also treat myself to one of the spas.

Hi Everybody,

Well I live in Miskolc, it is the third largest city in Hungary. We have some nice places what is worth to visit in Miskolc. For example:

- Diósgyőr castle (you can read some things of it on the following link)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_Diósgyőr

- Lillafüred

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LillafÃŒred

- Miskolctapolca

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miskolctapolca

- Cave bath - it is in Miskolctapolca and it is very popular around foreign people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Bath

So I suggest you if are in Miskolc you do not miss these place. :-)

Have a nice day to everybody!