Smog/ Air quality

Hi all,

I am seriously considering teaching ESL in China. I have the qualifications, but am concerned about the smog and pollution.

For that those live there, are there specific cities to target where the air quality is better? I've done some research, and it seems the coastal areas have better air quality. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm writing from Canada. Thanks.

Hello Traveller61.

I'm also from Canada and have been in China for the past 20 years, primarily in Beijing.  The air quality is certainly in need of cleansing, but nothing will happen for years to come.  Today, fortunately, is a bright, clear, crisp-autumn-like Canadian day. But these days are rare.

Your mentioning of locating to a coastal city is right, but even they can suffer from pollution and smog.  Which cities did you have in mind?

Regards,

David

fdawei wrote:

Hello Traveller61.

I'm also from Canada and have been in China for the past 20 years, primarily in Beijing.  The air quality is certainly in need of cleansing, but nothing will happen for years to come.  Today, fortunately, is a bright, clear, crisp-autumn-like Canadian day. But these days are rare.

Your mentioning of locating to a coastal city is right, but even they can suffer from pollution and smog.  Which cities did you have in mind?

Regards,

David

Hello Fdawei, Great to speak to a fellow Canadian. From my research, I learned that South China and Southeast China, the air quality is generally better. But when I checked the levels of pollution (PM 2.5), they are very high...I saw from a blogs and vlogs, that their opinion, is that health problems (ex. respiratory problems, asthma, heart issues) generally surface due to the pollution, or can be made worse for those that have a health condition. From your experience there, would you say so? Thanks for writing.

Health conditions, pollution an assorted ills prevail throughout the country.  I developed a sore throat when in lived in Guangzhou during my first two years in China.  My throat has never healed and I have a rough throat generally all year round. It gets worse during the winter when heavy pollution hangs over the area due to the many coal-fired and coal powered factories that surround the neighboring ares of Beijing.

Can I help you with anything else?

Regards,

David

By the way, where are you from in Canada?

Sorry to hear about. That's what I am afraid of, developing some type of medical condition as a result of the pollution. Thanks for being honest and for your help too! I live in Ontario. Which province are you from?

Born in Saskatchewan, but lived in Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa before moving to Asia thirty years ago.

All the best,

David

go to s. china.  places like zhuhai   macao  guangdong prov    fuzhou provience

Thanks and all the best to you,

I've lived in Dalian for almost 2 years now, moved from California. The pm2.5 levels here are acceptable for most of the year. There's a breeze that often sweeps the smog out. The worst I saw was certain days in the winter when the whole city fires up the coal heaters.

I just always keep an air quality app on my phone and wear a mask if the air is particularly bad. At home I have a good air filter.

Dalian is great if u love seafood year round =D

Thanks a lot for writing. All the best to you.

I would like to thank everyone who provided answers to my question. This decision was helpful in me making my ultimate decision on teaching ESL. I've made my decision now, I won't be monitoring this thread anyone, however future posts here can always help others. Thanks.

yes . cities in south are much better then those in north. U r welcome to fuzhou, china

It depends where you live. I live in Zhuhai, and it almost blue skies every day.