How long it takes to secure long term accomodation

Hello,

I am moving to Malta next Tuesday with my husband. We are planning to rent a hotel room for a few days but its turning out to be a lot more expensive than we thought especially since its still tourist season. My question is how long does it take to secure long term accommodation. Is it a big risk to take booking a hotel room for 4 days and expect to find a long let within 4 days? I would appreciate any advise.

It depends on your budget, the requirements and the area you're looking in - and how flexible you are with those three. In my opinion 4 days is extremely short for finding and securing a place in August. I'd try to get an Airbnb rental for at least a week, that way you will have less pressure. Good luck in your search!

Completely agree with blackangelheart.
If you have a high budget it will not be an issue for sure, otherwise 4 days is very little

I thought with the high supply of places it would be ok but if you say even a week may not be enough I am worried now! Was hoping not to have to pay so much money on a hotel room :(

Where in Malta are you looking to rent? What is your budget?

^ those two things determine everything.

Maximum 600 euro. 1 bedroom. Anywhere central, sliema/st julians/gzira but also birkirkara, attard and balzan.

charmender wrote:

I thought with the high supply of places it would be ok but if you say even a week may not be enough I am worried now! Was hoping not to have to pay so much money on a hotel room :(

If you mean high supply judging from the estate agent websites then I'm afraid only half (or a third) of those will be available. Most agents never bother to remove them or the landlord listed the property with 5 different agents and didn't tell the others to take it off the market again.

The few people I've spoken to that have been apartment hunting recently said it's difficult to find something nice that doesn't a fortune. Like Mantasmo said, it hugely depends on where you're looking. If you're trying to find a 2 bed flat in Sliema for 800 EUR then 4 days is not enough..

We spent 3 weeks looking for a place in December and it was worth it because we didn't feel pressured, were able to negotiate rent down, looked around neighbourhoods to get a feel for the area etc.

In addition, if the agents know you're in a hurry to find something, they may try to convince you into taking a shabby place by pretending it's the only thing they can do for you..

600 euro/month is a very low budget for those areas. Maybe except for Birkirkara. Not sure.

Thanks for your advice all. I think its going to be harder than I thought!

August is probably the worst month to move here as regards pricing and availability, the same also applies
to hotel rooms.  Good luck in your search, will you be working in Malta?  If not why not try Gozo.

mantasmo wrote:

600 euro/month is a very low budget for those areas. Maybe except for Birkirkara. Not sure.

On the other side of the country you can rent a whole house with this budget ...
I'm not even sure if there's any free accommodation available in the centre at this time.
At least as I've learnt all hotels seems to be fully booked this year until mid or end of September ... $$$  :D

Having gone through this a few weeks ago, my opinion is you will struggle. Especially with that budget looking in these areas, apart from maybe Birkirkara. We were looking in Balzan and there was nothing under 800.

We moved into our place around 10/11 days after arriving - we had a higher budget though. There was very little available because of the time of year.

We had temp accommodation for 2 weeks and I'm so glad we did -while we found the place we wanted within 1 week, it wasn't ready for a few days. In fact we had to allow the landlord to come back to finish fixing one thing after we moved in, so that we could get in earlier.

We had a good agent who I feel went over and above for us,and was extremely honest. Let me know if you want the name and I'll PM you.

I totally recommend what the others are saying - book an Airbnb if anything is available and book it for at least a week.

Yes feline if you wouldn't mind pm'ing me those details I would appreciate it!

Hi Blackangelheart, what is an Airbnb?

Try a search on google for airbnb malta should give you some info.
Ray

https://www.airbnb.com/?af=43888734& … djwEGTwte:https://www.airbnb.com/?af=43888734& … YgodjwEGTw

St Julians, Sliema and surrounding areas expensive

The post you replied to is not a recent one.

Hi I am also looking for accomodation in malta could you send me the name of the agent I am in no rush though and planning a bit. Would like to speak to them in september when I come for recon

Thanks in advance

My bad I just did it too