Barking dogs

Yet another barking dog?

Cheers, Steve.

I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks, you are right Steve. I prefer to do it my way and to date it has worked for me. I live in an upmarket subdivision where I assumed I would be living amongst civilized people but soon found barking dogs can still be a problem. Most educated Filipinos are not a problem its the less educated ones, (including foreigners) who seemingly are immune to the noise continually barking dogs create. I have always confronted the owner if their dogs are harassing me only once having to involve the barangay captain. If you have a neighbours dog harassing you confront the owner, and above all don't back off, if the harassment continues then contact the barangay captain.

Tsarge1985 wrote:

Heres the deal, im a dog lover but after living among the animals here Ive become very bitter towards barking dogs and disrespectful neighbors.. you have 2 choices poison quietly or fight the neighbors and be hated by all of them.  Went that route once. Every neighbor had a barking dog day and nite continuously. I kindly asked them to plx put their dogs in the back so they wont bark at every cat dog person bird that went by. The response. No .. These were little worthless muts with big yaps that trust me wont scare off anything,   my wife a flip and I tried everything 2 drown out the dogs. 1st we tried geting their names so we could file a complaint these fkers r so tight lipped it was impossible 2 get a name of any of them.  I endd getting all the names eventually but thats another story. They ignored the attorneys letters so i went 2 d brgy. They dont give a*** about u r ur problems. But they had the dog owners 1 at a time come in 4 a meeting 3 times.. then if a resolution can not be made they can issue a letter allowing 4 a lawsuit. Well the outcome after 2 yes of fighting . They had to keep the dogs quiet 7pm to 7am.. then comes enforcement...lol im telling ya as much as i hate 2 say it. KEEP U MOUTH SHUT AND LEAD IN SOME HAMBURGER OVER D FENCE.. otherwise all and i mean ALL THE neighbors will now hate u. They stick 2gtgr like Flys on ***. 3 yrs later we ended up buying in a highend subdivision. NEVER AGAIN will i live amongest  the disrespectful animals. Gud luck 2 all

Guys I jus picked up a post fm expat : 'Tsarge1985' dtd 14th Aug 2018!!!

Yes I still would avoid confrontation, as I do want to live in this location and in peace wif my sometimes inconsiderate neighbours barking dogs (amongst others of which I'll discuss at a later time!).
"Time will take its cause!" e.g the offending owner infact must have poisoned his own caged dog due to its barking way into the night thus affecting his own selfish sleep!)..of course there are other problems that may need the Barangay captains intervention or possibly needing to contact your local police station for more serious problems or as mentioned in earlier posts using a bottle of Gin/Tanduay as amd when necessary.
In infact I use my abundant papaya's growing on our land & I get my partner (whom has been very well trained by me in the use of reverse psychology) in securing peace.
Yes it does takes effort!
(***very very very much more than where i come from!!!!)
Thanks

jackbe nimble wrote:

I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks, you are right Steve. I prefer to do it my way and to date it has worked for me. I live in an upmarket subdivision where I assumed I would be living amongst civilized people but soon found barking dogs can still be a problem. Most educated Filipinos are not a problem its the less educated ones, (including foreigners) who seemingly are immune to the noise continually barking dogs create. I have always confronted the owner if their dogs are harassing me only once having to involve the barangay captain. If you have a neighbours dog harassing you confront the owner, and above all don't back off, if the harassment continues then contact the barangay captain.

I agree with you, and I do the same with very loud music ! I just ask the owner of the speakers to lower the volume of the music and generally they totally stop their music :-)

geolefrench wrote:
jackbe nimble wrote:

I agree with you, and I do the same with very loud music ! I just ask the owner of the speakers to lower the volume of the music and generally they totally stop their music :-)

Some times they turn it up louder even when asked nicely. This exact thing happened nearby. Other people became so angry that they bought their own systems. It was daily battle of the broken speakers for a while. And some days it went on all day and all night. Eventually there was a big pow wow because the rate of heart attacks was noticeably increasing. After that everything went quiet with only rare explosions of stuff that sounds nothing like music.

But as to the point of barking dogs, be thankful for the barking dogs.

They are usually only barking because someone is creeping around. When the dogs stop barking it is because the creeper has tossed a piece of meat full of pins and needles or poison into your yard.

However, if there is a dog that is allowed to run around and threaten people, then that is another story.

Philippine Destiny wrote:
geolefrench wrote:
jackbe nimble wrote:

Some times they turn it up louder even when asked nicely. This exact thing happened nearby. Other people became so angry that they bought their own systems. It was daily battle of the broken speakers for a while. And some days it went on all day and all night. Eventually there was a big pow wow because the rate of heart attacks was noticeably increasing. After that everything went quiet with only rare explosions of stuff that sounds nothing like music.

"Pow wow" wif papaya refreshesments!

Same here. I am in a upscale with guards Subdivision. Dogs and roosters all day and night. We went three times to the Barangay captain and nothing happened.

However, if there is a dog that is allowed to run around and threaten people, then that is another story.

Yes some of my inconsiderate neighbours do exactly that!...So I always carry my 4ft pole in the event I need to step out of my perimeter gate at nights!....Rest assured there will be loads of fresh shit in various shades of brown in the mornings...which the respective owners will clear themselves if it lies outside their perimeter...its a way of life here!
Other than that I'm loving it!
:D

manwonder wrote:

Yes some of my inconsiderate neighbours do exactly that!...So I always carry my 4ft pole in the event I need to step out of my perimeter gate at nights!....Rest assured there will be loads of fresh shit in various shades of brown in the mornings...which the respective owners will clear themselves if it lies outside their perimeter...its a way of life here!

Dogs are absolutely aware of where they are taking a crap and the effect that it can have on people. If the dog does not like you or their owner does not like you, then that dog will crap in a place it is sure you will hate.

You could always offer a bounty to the jeepney drivers.

manwonder wrote:

Dogs are absolutely aware of where they are taking a crap and the effect that it can have on people. If the dog does not like you or their owner does not like you, then that dog will crap in a place it is sure you will hate.

PD... hahaha...Agreed...I've spoken just about the dogs of what you have said which may be true and me trying my best to stay in topic!..but we also have goats that roam outside my perimeter...their shit that comes in various shades of grey & they dun give a dam where they shit!
I've got used to shit...so barking dogs is the least of my problems!
:D:offtopic:

manwonder wrote:
manwonder wrote:

PD... hahaha...Agreed...I've spoken just about the dogs of what you have said which may be true and me trying my best to stay in topic!..but we also have goats that roam outside my perimeter...their shit that comes in various shades of grey & they dun give a dam where they shit!
I've got used to shit...so barking dogs is the least of my problems!
:D:offtopic:

It's not the goat poop that bothers me. It's the fact that he thinks it's his job to catch me off guard and head butt me into the ditch.

Looks lke the barking dogs are winning..lol
Chk this out. My beach property has way 2 many stray dogs running around. Pellet gun with a silencer is much fun these days however if u dont like guns this also works to keep them quiet at nite. Bought mine in the US but i c they r on Lazada but not sure the quality.
https://www.amazon.com/Bark-Control-Pro … -search-20
Bark control pro.

the thing issss,there dogs all over but no one is paying atention to it as they all used of hearing them bark . i'm up late at night often and one time i hear a dog bark but not just barking to make noise out of frustration of beeing chained up 24/7,i had dogs all my life and i know wen there "alarm" barking so i went out whit a torche and lighted up on al what i could  see ,as i lighted the balkonie of the naibours flat i see i guy freezing and then hurling down the wall he climmed to get there,am sure this burglar will not come back and he will tel others not to go there as there is a vigilant foreigner who's awake at night.
furter i'm good frends whit the second in comand of the PNP here and he's been seen visiting more than a few times,i gues that helps to hehehe.
my dogs sleep in the house so they can not be poisened by burglars and they'r trained to alarm  me  but not an intruder (low volume barking),as it is my filosofy not to let the intruder surprise me but i surprise them.
cant say i'm bothered by barking dogs as i dont notice them unles they'r saying some thing ,than i hear them loud and clear.

greets Dirk

There are high-frequency dog whistles you can buy in pet shops which are sometimes effective if the dog is within range and or if you have the patience to " train " the dog from a distance. The frequency can be adjusted - better still there are app which can be downloaded at no cost which do the same job

There is no specific in the Philippines except for this one. The probability that the Brgy or municipality will take action is very low. Article 694 of the New Civil Code (NCC) of the Philippines defines nuisance as “any act, omission, establishment, business, condition of property or anything else which: (1) injures or endangers the health or safety of others; or (2) annoys or offends the senses; or (3) shocks, defies or disregards decency or morality; or (4) obstructs or interferes with the free passage of any public highway or street, or any body of water; or (5) hinders or impairs the use of property.”

I don't understand what kind of pleasure people find into owning a dog that is leached or put in a cage and left barking 24/7. Cherry on the cake when they tell you they love dogs and that's why they let them communicate (barking)....  I'm wondering what kind of love they are giving to their pet, is it the leash, is it the cage or is putting them at risk to be run over by a car? My area was quite when I moved in 10 years ago except for strays which were in some extend taken care off by the municipality. 3 years ago I had a new neighbour that moved his 3 dogs in. They barked for the smallest reason. When confronting them they told us it was hard for them to do something about it, only to hear later on through a third party that in their opinion we had to move out... My family endured it till I totally lost it. I've put retro trance/house music for 8 hours and interrupted only to bring them the message that the music will stop when the barking will stop. I was hoping for them to call the police so that I can file a counter case against them. This was not needed as the neighbours seem to have found a solution for now. I would say don't back down. Dogs are not supposed to bark all the time for the smallest reason like people or cars passing on the street. Now they only bark when stray dogs are passing by which is somehow normal. Now the strays need to be taken care of, these have owners who let them roam on the street... I would say stand your ground. The first feedback you will get will show the toxic attidute that some people can have here, after all nuisance is caused by toxic people. They will tell that it's not a big deal till your complaints and actions will cause more nuisance to them which will prompt them to solve the issue they are causing.

Alain22 wrote:

<SNIP>

3 years ago I had a new neighbour that moved his 3 dogs in. They barked for the smallest reason.

We have plenty of stray dogs in our community here in Pasig. When I lived in Las Vegas, NV you had to have a license for your dog and they had some type of neutering requirements. When people walked their dog on a leash, they also carried a bag so as to pick up the poop. If a dog was loose animal control picked them up.

It seems people who own dogs here don't have any yards for their dogs to poop, so they let them run wild or maybe poop in their in their hovel.

I have never seen anyone ever walk their dog on a leash in Pasig.

I can usually tell when it's about 5 am when somebody puts out their dogs tied on a leash, I get up and get my coffee percolator ready for later in the morning and then take my shower.

Maybe the Roosters set off the dogs. Hahahaha

Enzyte Bob wrote:
Alain22 wrote:

<SNIP>

3 years ago I had a new neighbour that moved his 3 dogs in. They barked for the smallest reason.

We have plenty of stray dogs in our community here in Pasig. When I lived in Las Vegas, NV you had to have a license for your dog and they had some type of neutering requirements. When people walked their dog on a leash, they also carried a bag so as to pick up the poop. If a dog was loose animal control picked them up.

It seems people who own dogs here don't have any yards for their dogs to poop, so they let them run wild or maybe poop in their in their hovel.

I have never seen anyone ever walk their dog on a leash in Pasig.

I can usually tell when it's about 5 am when somebody puts out their dogs tied on a leash, I get up and get my coffee percolator ready for later in the morning and then take my shower.

Maybe the Roosters set off the dogs. Hahahaha

Agreed...New research has shown that owners and their pups often share personality traits, too. A paper, published in the Journal of Research in Personality, (28 Feb 2019) ...says a dog's personality reflects the personality of its owner. ... “Just like humans, dogs vary in their personalities.
And they can potentially change over time.

It also depends on the type of dog. When we got our dog we chose a 'Watchdog' as opposed to 'Guard Dog' type.
Watchdogs bark at strangers, squirrels, chipmunks, dogs or a grocery bag blowing in the wind into his territory. Watchdogs don't bite.
Guard dogs like Germen Shepherds, do not bark much or do not bark at all, they bite to 'protect' its territory. One reason the police use this dog.

Alain22 wrote:

There is no specific in the Philippines except for this one. The probability that the Brgy or municipality will take action is very low. Article 694 of the New Civil Code (NCC) of the Philippines defines nuisance as “any act, omission, establishment, business, condition of property or anything else which: (1) injures or endangers the health or safety of others; or (2) annoys or offends the senses; or (3) shocks, defies or disregards decency or morality; or (4) obstructs or interferes with the free passage of any public highway or street, or any body of water; or (5) hinders or impairs the use of property.”

I am not sure the barangay captain will take action against his relatives especially his wife's relatives. He probably would like to get re-elected too. Why would he/she anger the his voters.

Alain22 wrote:

The first feedback you will get will show the toxic attidute that some people can have here, after all nuisance is caused by toxic people.

Agreed or simply a total lack of basic moral education.

i understand your feelings, we have dozens of dogs running wild and sometimes they have vicious fights and are always barking. however if this is your only problem you should feel lucky!
you are not having threatening neighbors or extortion plots or needing police to help you weekly or vandalism...try to close windows that side of the house/soundproof some way. order one of those collars that are battery operated and gives the dog a small training shock when it barks and ask the neighbor to try it.

You will never get away from the dogs here.  Some areas have stray dog policies, but most do not.  You will just have to ignore them.

Soonretired wrote:

we have dozens of dogs running wild and sometimes they have vicious fights and are always barking. however if this is your only problem you should feel lucky!

Say Soonretired,

Some time ago I read about a Security Alarm that when set off sounded like a barking dog. I did a Google search and there are lots of choices. One has up to 120 db of sound,  Whenever your family leaves the house you can set it off with the speakers aimed at the squatter.

Enzyte Bob wrote:
Soonretired wrote:

we have dozens of dogs running wild and sometimes they have vicious fights and are always barking. however if this is your only problem you should feel lucky!

Say Soonretired,

Some time ago I read about a Security Alarm that when set off sounded like a barking dog. I did a Google search and there are lots of choices. One has up to 120 db of sound,  Whenever your family leaves the house you can set it off with the speakers aimed at the squatter.

have to wait til after covid...we dont go anywhere now.

If you indeed intend to get one why not try "shopee" wif c.o.d/home delivery.

https://shopee.ph/product/939594/5500371638?smtt=0.0.9

**Woofers sold separately.

Even though this post is "old," it's also timeless.  And so when I got an e-mail notification that new posts had been made, I was ready to jump in.

Anyway, I've had ongoing conversations with a Filipina, and the subject of "barking dogs" comes up somewhat regularly.  And I know for a fact that my impending move to PH will be a huge challenge, due primarily to "barking dogs."

As I recently told her, there are three large puppies from a neighbor that have been barking at another neighbor's farm animals.  These dogs wander around quite a bit, and I figured that eventually they would make their way to my place...which they did.

When I saw them, I grabbed my shotgun, stepped outside and fired (into the ground).  Ya know...puppies can run really fast...and they always seem to run "home."

I've heard that animals roaming at all hours or otherwise disturbing neighbors (even far-off neighbors) can be injured or killed.  So why do owners not control their pets?  Why do they put them unnecessarily at risk?  Do owners that actually love their "pets" let them roam/bark day and/or night?

I don't think so.

I believe they do what they do (or don't do what they should do) because, 1) they can get away with it, and 2) they are not respectable people to begin with.  And in my opinion, they're in no position to have pets.

Sadly, my existing "animal control" plan, which works very well, apparently won't be able to be utilized in Philippines, a place that seemingly needs it more than where I now live.

But there are always alternatives.

One of those alternatives, however, is NOT talking to neighbors.

My Filipina friend is apparently regularly awakened by neighborhood dogs.  And I have no doubt that there have been many, MANY efforts to minimize/eliminate the overnight barking.  Still it goes on.  So, I expect that whatever persuasive words I might offer to the offenders will not only be ignored, but will actually either increase the problematic behavior or damage relationships (more likely, both), such as they can be with people who fail to respect others' needs for sleep, peace and quiet.  (This is especially true, I am sure, being a foreigner.)

The other alternative I would NOT pursue is involving the authorities.  It's laughable to me that I should expect that they are going to make any meaningful effort to help me, a foreigner.

(Philippines is NOT like other countries that not only provide for foreigners (primarily the illegal ones, by the way) subsidized/free housing, health care, food, education and whatnot, but actually pander to them as an important, and exploitable, demographic.)

I think the only other reasonable alternative is that I relocate into a rural area, wherein my existing "animal control" plan can once again be implemented.

And by the by, I'm a lover of pets and the responsible owner of dogs.  I know how to care for my dogs, and I respect (but not necessarily like) my neighbors and embrace their right to not have my animals on their property or otherwise being a nuisance.

But whatever happens, I am going to miss this place...a hunter's paradise....

My perspective is that if you don't like roaming/ barking  dogs, noisy roosters and bad roads you're moving /moved to the wrong country.  Go somewhere else!

"...won't you be my neighbor?"

NdzM5 wrote:

(1)  I know for a fact that my impending move to PH will be a huge challenge, due primarily to  "barking dogs."

(2)  As I recently told her, there are three large puppies from a neighbor that have been barking at another neighbor's farm animals.  When I saw them, I grabbed my shotgun, stepped outside and fired (into the ground). 

(3)  (Philippines is NOT like other countries that not only provide for foreigners (primarily the illegal ones, by the way) subsidized/free housing, health care, food, education and whatnot, but actually pander to them as an important, and exploitable, demographic.)

(4) But whatever happens, I am going to miss this place...a hunter's paradise....

Dear NdzM5,

There is so many things to respond to in your post, it's really meaty for a guy like me.

(1) If barking dogs is a huge challenge, consider taking Ziggarillo  advice move someplace else.

(2) You mention dogs barking at a neighbors farm animals, your profile says you live in Washington, DC.

(3) Unusual political view living in Washington DC.

(4) Again, repeating myself, a Hunters Paradise?    Washington DC

But, there is still hope for you. 500,000 dogs are consumed for food in the PH (A hunters Paradise)

Dog meat is the third most consumed meat in the PH ahead of Beef. The budget cost for protein in the PH will be nil for you, your next potential meal will bark letting you know to fire up the BBQ Grill.

Now in Switzerland, Rottweiler is the most  popular breed of dog to consumed for dinner or a midnight snack.

For more info worldwide on dog consumption, Google: Dog Meat-Wikipedia.

Google this recipe: Asocena

Enzyte Bob wrote:
NdzM5 wrote:

(1)  I know for a fact that my impending move to PH will be a huge challenge, due primarily to  "barking dogs."

(2)  As I recently told her, there are three large puppies from a neighbor that have been barking at another neighbor's farm animals.  When I saw them, I grabbed my shotgun, stepped outside and fired (into the ground). 

(3)  (Philippines is NOT like other countries that not only provide for foreigners (primarily the illegal ones, by the way) subsidized/free housing, health care, food, education and whatnot, but actually pander to them as an important, and exploitable, demographic.)

(4) But whatever happens, I am going to miss this place...a hunter's paradise....

Dear NdzM5,

There is so many things to respond to in your post, it's really meaty for a guy like me.

(1) If barking dogs is a huge challenge, consider taking Ziggarillo  advice move someplace else.

(2) You mention dogs barking at a neighbors farm animals, your profile says you live in Washington, DC.

(3) Unusual political view living in Washington DC.

(4) Again, repeating myself, a Hunters Paradise?    Washington DC

But, there is still hope for you. 500,000 dogs are consumed for food in the PH (A hunters Paradise)

Dog meat is the third most consumed meat in the PH ahead of Beef. The budget cost for protein in the PH will be nil for you, your next potential meal will bark letting you know to fire up the BBQ Grill.

Now in Switzerland, Rottweiler is the most  popular breed of dog to consumed for dinner or a midnight snack.

For more info worldwide on dog consumption, Google: Dog Meat-Wikipedia.

I was going to ignore your post, because I find the content of the few posts of yours that I've read to be unhelpful, and your tone annoying.  But I went ahead and read it anyway.  I should've gone with my first instinct.

Woof woof!

It is hallucinating to see that some people offer to support or move, no but seriously laughing I hope. Whoever disturbs others should leave and not the other way around. No, the Philippines are not a no-go zone, you have to complain to the Barangay or the Subdivision Manager if there is a problem and show them the rules clearly. We don't have to put up with dogs that bark all the time because some stupid owners don't care about the world, we have to show them that they are not alone in the world, here everybody is to bow their heads and put up with it, and some will say if you are not happy to go back to your country, I am in the Philippines because I love this country, but I don't have to put up with some jerk who is not responsible either here or elsewhere, It's not because I'm a foreigner that I can't complain, besides in my country foreigners complain even more than locals so everyone is free to do it if they want and the laws are there to be respected, when I go to immigration, I pay every month I don't get a discount because the neighbor's dog bothers me no? so let's put the church back in the middle of the village and everyone will be much better off. I have nothing against a calm dog that barks from time to time but when it's every day and continuously at the same time at night I say stop. You have to understand that this is a nuisance and an unacceptable nuisance. So I invite everyone who encounters these problems not to wait and complain, if there is a problem, it is useless to discuss it with the neighbor go directly upstairs.

Yes aston76age. Someone need to start asserting peoples rights. I am hoping more people will follow your example instead of bending over backwards to those abusing the rules.

tonyboost wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a law that can be enforced to make owners to control their dogs from barking??

there are vague law about noise but no one take it seiously

you are asking same question maybe million people already ask and gave up asking due to frustration

maybe buy bose quiet comfort or explode firecracker next to your ear to aid in becomeing deaf

It's time for this to change because we don't improve the quality of life by standing still and putting up with things like this. Loving animals is one thing, putting up with other people's animals is another. No one should suffer an unwanted nuisance and this in respect of each one. If some here consider it useless to do anything then stay in your noise and support but do not advise people who refuse this to say nothing.

You are what you seed, choices, there has been some great input on this thread both good and bad and all valid for various reasons. What we have to remember is we are visitors/residents in another country and like politics, religion or chismis,,,,,,,, leave well alone, let the locals debate the finer arts.
I have posted on barking dogs and noisy roosters many times over the last 9 years, 6 years ago we decided to retire here and I had some caveats with my partner,,,,,,, quiet, absolute beachfront (after 25 years looking at the mountains), half an hours drive from Bens family, an hour with public transport for family (don't see them often here) "Quiet" took a few years to find but one of our better investments apart from the goat I extricated from one of the wire fences this morning as Ben couldn't get her head and horns out. Again choices, we looked at dozens upon dozens of properties for years, many beautiful, on the beach but barking dogs, noisy traffic, high crime rates, limited access etc. For over 3 years we searched
We purchased the worst house (3 bed 2 bath and studio) in the best street because it was quiet, large lot with huge potential, no Banka boats on the beach, no barking dogs or roosters crowing, once a fortnight/month distant Karaoke, the goats can be interesting through the day but controllable, we rarely see or talk to the neighbours and it's usually to give/swap vegetables or fruit with them and no gossip.
I see the dogs, most times 3 or 4 on the beach at dawn, no barking, going about their business before they venture back home. If you don't like barking dogs or cockerels do your research well to eliminate the problem.

One member has suggested to change a mindset, Ain't going to happen especially if instigated by a blow in, that would be like me trying to get voicemail with all the telco's here.
Pick wisely where you will live, for us when the big tsunami comes is our only concern, not barking dogs.

Sorry for the rant and as always OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Until the day a neighbor comes and gets a dog, that's lucky, but not everyone is, you speak for yourself because you could do that, not everyone can, so your situation is by far not everyone's situation. It's easy to advise when you haven't gone through this, the only real solution here is that things will only move if people decide to move. Your idyllic corner may not be idyllic in a month because a local pain in the ass decides to put his rooster next to you. There are laws on that, it is simply necessary that it is respected, your solution to say that it is necessary to find a quiet place it is not a solution because any quiet place today cannot necessarily remain it. Rather, you have to educate people through fines and repression when they are too stupid to understand that noise is detrimental to the quality of life. The laws were made for this purpose because there are no other alternatives unfortunately. Humans are too stupid to understand that living in a community implies sacrifices and that everyone has to respect each other, otherwise it's a mess. So once again your case is by far not the one of all and by far not the solution.