New to KL, Guidence for settling in

Hi,

I just found this group and very informative one.

We are young couple moving from UK to KL. We are planning to move sometime in Feb and needed some advice on stay.

I still don't know the exact location, however it is in KLCC. Can you suggest some good locations for stay, I saw few blogs and people suggested Bangsar and also warned me about getting in & Out of KLCC. Is there other alternative to Ampang area in terms of proximity and expat community?

Also what would be a good salary out in KL, we pushed for housing, but they are not providing rather they have finally agreed for 18000 RM/Month. Do you think its a good salay for a family of 2?

Cheers... BTW Happy haliday season too..

Hi kr13, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

i stay in bangsar,,,pretty good area

Hi Christine !! Looking forward have good time at KL.

Caeser, I am also favouring bangsar as Ampang looks more traditional base.. Just bit concerned abt traffic jam I saw in few blogs.. stating it takes more than an hour to reaching KLCC from there..

from bangsar to klcc cud take anything from 15-30 mins,,,,depending on the traffic

hi kr13 this salary is more than enough for 2 enjoying luxury life in Malaysia, some local family only have 1/10 of it :)
KL area is cool conveniece and happening, but also expect for higher living expenses too :)

I am new here in KL but I love where I am living
it is Mont Kiara. Solaris... many pub and eatery,,

Hi Kr13,

Ampang could be better place for u. Also easy to move around in Kl. Ur salary is more than enough if u r paying any Loan in UK also.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. & happy new year to new friends out there in KL.

Sagu -> Loans here are getting heavier day by day,so moving to KL to take break from that.

Couple of questions.
1. Company is not providing any relocation options, hence we need to setup out there completely. Hence it is better to go in for furnished one or build your own?
2. How abt the mobility options? I saw few posts and was amazed on the duty for imported cars!!!

We moved out here in Dec from the UK. The traffic is a nightmare so when you know exactly where you are working aim to live close. Yes cars are very expensive. One option is to buy a locally produced Proton or Peruda which don't have 300% duty on them, but they don't hold their resale value. There are train services, some of them very good and the KTM which is rubbish...again it will depend where you are working to make sure you are on the right train line. I don't know if you've found it but the iproperty website is a good one for househunting, but agents are a nightmare to get hold of unless you are already out here. We have rented furnished because we didn't get much help with relocation, but funriture out here is a lot less expensive than the UK. Will have accomodation provided when you first come out? It will help to look around the areas before you decide where you want to live!
Good luck with the move,
Jo

Hi jo,

I was also thinking in similar lines, go with a local made car and explore how it works :).

I just got to know that my base location will be at KL Sentral, so I feel it make sense to move into Bangsar then Ampang.

Yes, I know about iproperty and found it very informative. Trying to find an place from the website.

I am exited and looking forward to move to KL

park view service apartments , is better place for you and ur family

you can find something around 3000-2500 rm/month + its only 100 meter from klcc so u dont worry about the traffic @ its in the middle of the city @ close to the clubbing area @

so I advice / park view service apartments

You also have options in the Sentral district itself.
Susana for example is a nice and safe condo.

For cars, unless yours has a sentimental value, you should not import it. Proton and Perodua have decent options, and should you have 80K onward to spend on a car you can get a Honda or Toyota easily.