Keeping up with the news in Saudi Arabia

Hello everyone,

Living in Saudi Arabia provides countless occasions to browse local newspapers, listen to local radio stations or watch local TV shows. As everywhere else in the world, local media play a key role in informing the public.

What are the major media in Saudi Arabia? Which one do you use on a regular basis?

How do you keep up with international issues (newspapers, radio, TV, Internet)?

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Living in Saudi Arabia provides countless occasions to browse local newspapers, listen to local radio stations or watch local TV shows. As everywhere else in the world, local media play a key role in informing the public.

What are the major media in Saudi Arabia? Which one do you use on a regular basis?

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

Well nowadays most of the peoples rely on the Social Media,Some of the Authentic Socia Media Pages include Arab News,Saudi Gazette etc

People use Social Media to get the latest news. I am using Twitter which mostly gets the news days before it is published in English news papers here.

The most commonly used medium is e papers.

There are numerous sources for reaching out international media and keeping yourself updated with international relations and happenings.

I use Reuters, BBC and etc etc etc....

I don't agree. There are no local newspapers or local channels for us. Those who do not have OSN or other channels suffer a lot.

HI,
well living in Saudi Arabia is not easy , you are right local Media play a key role in keeping people updated . we are using print media like news paper (Saudi Gazette) and mostly using net to keep our self informed about the new events happening around the world.
of-course in the evening watching news on the TV , expatriates here mostly pass their time watching TV channels. now a days  internet plays a major roll since all sort of information is available on the net.

Iftikhar Malik

Usually I use Internet

Hi,
There are as many as media sources in Saudi Arabia as in any other country. I regularly read Arabnews, newspaper. I do not watch local TV & news because of language barrier.

Hi...
I mostly use the social media and if I get to watch tv I prefer Press Tv....

Hi there pricilla..
Thanks for the message. Im very much of a person moving with current events takes place locally as well as internationally. as u know there r quite restriction in saudia towards the press freedom how ever its not that bad like before. especially the wide spread social media gives easy access to anywhere. Social media is the major media for sharing and understanding and learning anything in saudi arabia as any where else. people use facebook a lot, instagram and other forms of social medias including whatsapp. I have some direct connections with some international journalists where i try to find the authenticity of any news or messages getting viral. me myself im a documentary director professionally and COO of a next generation technology developing company. Please u can ask any thing u need to know. ur most welcome.

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

me, i just use maxthon browser, from there i can read countless news.
you also have the option to select which news you like to read.
Try it out... ;)

We form a  group of expat Filipino motorcycle rider. Im here since 1980 with my wife. Its easy to enjoy life while in Saudi. Always think positive and enjoy with your friends. Never think negative, specially during summer. Lol.  :D Anybody motorcycle rider here? Send me message if you want to ride , i have free motorcycle . Regards Danny

Hi Priscilla

The best source of local news for non arab is channel-2 of saudi Arabia. I do not think it is an issue because 99% peoples having satellite dish.

Hi,

Today now a day major communication tools is Facebook and whats app.

Regards,

Tarique

Dear Pascilla,
Usually I keep my self informed by internet using arabnews ,saudi gazette online.
The life in Dammam and Khober is very vibrant.
Dr.Gauhar

I like Saudi Gazette and have written for them many times. I watch news on BBC, Press TV and use social media. Thank God for internet here that we have access to international writers too.

Can you please share me the links of your articles.

Hi,

i usually use the mobile News applications those provide you with the international news and urgent headlines, besides some websites. but actually i do not take the social media as a source of trusted news. and being honest i have never touched a newspaper :)

This account is under my husband's name. I am.Saman Ali Abbasi. If you search on Google you can find my articles. I worked for the News in Pakistan as Saman Jafri, my maiden name. I had a small stint.at Arab News too. I write.as a free lancer.

We Filipino has own tv channel . TFC and GMA. If i want local news or middle east news? I have apps of Arab News . I think that is enough to now on what is going around the world. Regards

Hi! Yes,  there are a lot of things you can read in saudi.  But I  don't read  the physical books nowadays.
I  read a lot more from the internet and subscribe to RSS feeds  for news, get membership  to  websites like yours.  :)

Thank you Ms. Saman. I hope I will enjoy reading your articles.

Hi Priscillia,

I have seen your message late, have you moved to Saudi or still in transition?

lets keep in touch

Sameer Khan

@ Sameer Khan > I am a member of the Expat.com team and i have launched this thread so as to gather information and to make them available to the members.

If you have any information on this topic, please share with us.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

what I do is analysis the major expat population. They are from India and  from Kerala  so middle east news from local Kerala news or Indian news like NDTV (Middle east news) which are much faster and reliable also.

Hi priscilla
   Greetings. I will vote 100 % to " Arab News " editor Khaleed Al Maeena for his brave & bold publishes against even goverment agencies like Jawajat & Maroor department. In year 2000 I wrote against Jawajat's controversial SR 2000 charges for each member for iqama fees, a member of  4 in a family have to pay 4 x 2000 = 8000 for iqama name addition.Editor Khaleed  published and within a week they cancel the system. Later I complain about rowdies scounderalism in bob makkah area in jeddah souk. Immediately the rowdies gang vanished. But other media hesitate to publish during that period 2000. So I will vote for Arab News for their real journalism.
Abu Taher

Believe me no time from work to go barber once in a week
thanks and regards

Hello  Madam
Would you explain to social life and  social rights for expatriot? For ex.is there any different between big&small companies?
Thanks in advance.
Sadi