Keeping up with the news in Malta

Hello everyone,

Living in Malta provides countless occasions to browse local newspapers, listen to local radio stations or watch local TV shows. As everywhere else in the world, local media play a key role in informing the public.

What are the major media in Malta? Which one do you use on a regular basis?

How do you keep up with international issues (newspapers, radio, TV, Internet)?

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

It really depends on which language you know. If you don't know either English or Maltese then it must be difficult to keep up with local news.

Virtually all Maltese TV broadcasts are in Maltese only. I believe GO have a news program late at night for 30 minutes in English.

Newspapers are available in both English and Maltese, I don't know of any local newspapers being published in any other language although I have not looked for any.

Quite often the news broadcasts on many radio channels are Maltese language only, even if much of the programming is in English.

We generally use on line versions of 'Times of Malta', 'Gozo News', and 'Malta Today'

Ray

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : you are off topic, please create a new thread and ask your questions
SouthLondon wrote:

Hello there,  What has changed in Malta for wannabe British expats that want to move put there following Brexit? Is it now we need a sponsor and a work visa? I know Malta is in the commonwealth.  Thanks  Will Hobson

First, it would be a good idea to start a new topic with your question as you have posted on a topic about keeping up with the news in Malta.

Second, At the moment and for the next two years at least ,you can move here just the same as before the referendum, after that, nobody knows for sure but if you are here you are unlikely to be thrown out!

Ray

I use the internet to keep up with the news on a website called Filmon.com, so I can watch all UK TV stations for free although they're an hour behind.

I like to read English newspapers but they're very expensive so I only get one per week. The delivery of them to here in Gozo is bad. Often they don't get to the shops until about 10.30.

We moved here to get away from the UK so not really interested in UK news, more concerned with what is going on in Malta.
What news you do get on UK TV is generally biased, especially on BBC.

Ray

I do not have television since more than 10 years. Also no newspaper abos.
I'm watching and reading online what is interesting to me, mainly movies and international news or selected local topics.
Local news do not belong to my interests, most of them only drive me crazy, make me upset ... or even sad.
I'm fine here since 4 years, mainly because of not knowing too much what's going on behind the curtains  ;)  Unavoidable contacts with authorities and companies are enough for me.

Facebook is a power in Malta, since it's free and easy to use.
Good news, weather, all kinds of events, restaurants, deals ... all can be found on FB pages and groups ... and you can keep in touch with other people.