Hi all! (sunny greetings from Portugal)

Hi everyone!

I'm from Portugal and I'm 24 years old.
I would like to know more about Denmark, and the lifestyle both in work terms, and culturaly.
I`m finishing my masters degree in Architecture and Urban Plannig, and I would like to seek, new countrys and opportunities that can regard my academic knoledge.
I have a thing for the European North countrys, so I think that Denmark would be perfect, but I dont really know much about it.
So I would like to know more about the daily life in Denmark, from other emigrants in the country, but also from the Danish people themselves.

If anyone has any questions, pls post them, and I'll be glad to reply them as soon as I can.

Thank You all ^^

Welcome on Expat.com Sekmeth ;)

While waiting for other members to bring their input, do not hesitate to browse some of the previous discussions on the Denmark forum to inform yourself about this marvelous country ;)!

Regards :)

we'll do! :)

thank you!

I know Portugal and Denmark both fairly well and I can absolutely recommend you DO NOT come here.  Weather is crap, people are hostile and rude, it is THE most expensive place I have every been and tax(all forms, VAT, income ...) make it difficult to scratch a living.  If you are in any way disfunctional or in need of social protection, it's a great place to be, although as an expat, even if you are European, you will be discriminated against.  Under no circumstances consider Denmark.  I understand Sweden is slightly better.  Why on earth would you want to leave Portugal???  I have most recently lived in Belgium and that is very livable, open (if a bit dirty).  Tax is pretty high, but you at least get back something as opposed to hear where it goes to fund the pension of the lazy locals.

Embittered but honest

canningj, maybe you just got to be between wrong people.
for me Denmark seems nice place to live, I can't say anything bad about it yet. Maybe i'll see something i don't like later.. But talking about people they are really nice and weather.. it's good for me too, but that depends a lot where you come from. If you are from portugal or italy, then yes, it might be too cold, but if you are from north of norway, then it just very good.
everything depends on your viewpoint. :)

mildabar :one

why would I wanna leave Portugal????

I'll explain... so there are no misunderstandings about my love for my country. I do love my country...its beautifulll, the people are very nice, the weather is amazing...even in the winters we have lots of sunshine! My town in particular is the most amazing thing in the world! it combines green mountains, with a sky blue river, with the largest comunity of Roazes Corvineiros (species of dolphins) in the world! Th food here is amazing, in the summer we eat a lot of fresh grilled fish! we are a fisherman's comunnity.

I love my town... I love my country...I love the sun... but ...

I hate our politicians! and YES there may be misery abroad too but, I bet that I will be more appreciated as a young urban planner , egoring to work, than here! On a country that obligates me to do an intership of 24 months, before I'm considerated an architect, even though I just went by 6 years of architect school!But that's not the worst part...because...I agree with the intership, before we are ready to fly solo. What I donŽt agree with is, that the intership is not paid! And its mandatory!!!
So you see....I'm not a wealthy persone...I have to earn my living. I spent ALL i had in this degree, and now, they want me to work for free! I cant do that..Even If I wanted to.

But that's just the primal reason for me to want to leave Portugal. Living here is a strugle everyday, for my family, and they were expats too once, before I was born. My mother and my father worked in Germany, Italy, France and Switzerland. My father is no longer here to say anything ,but my mother tells me all the time, that If I want to make it in my profession, I have to make sacrifices, like they did. For them it did't work so well because, they had to return here. But for me? I'm just begining my life as a working player...why would I wanna stay here...compromise my future with a ton of loans, I cant afford (yeah its a reality in Portugal...young people stay in their parents house until their 30's or even more, because they can't afford to live alone!)
Why would I throw away all those years , and money I spent in school , just to go work for free or just to go work in something else , like cleaning windows...or something like that? Don't get me wrong, I work as a waitress every school breaks, but that's not what I've been working hard for, that's not what i want to do with my future.

So would you stay in a country knowing that you will be compromised and all your efforts will no longer be rewarded?

I'm sorry If I wrote too much... And I Appologise if my words are bitter, but I am sentimental about this...a lot. As you can see I'm not going to be an expat just for the adventure...

But I have to Thank for your opinions ! They mean a LOT to me. Even if they are against my own, I am very grateful you guys took the time to enlighten me!

:)

Once again sorry for the huge post, and excuse my rusty english !