Expat Driving Licence

Hi Guys ...

In a Month or so I will get my residential visa ...I would Like to know the procedure for getting driving licence in Tunisia...( I have indian driving Licence) .. I would like to know the formalities ... so plz guide me in this...

You dont need Tunisian driving License. You can use your Indian driving license which is valid and rent a car easily. I have used my Indian driving license to rent a car several times.

Hi Jogesh ..

Thanks for ur reply .. is national(indian) driving licence itself k .. i heard that though we have national licence.. we have to get international driving licence....then my company has car .. so just if got licence then I can take it ...

Karthick, Indian license podhum .. onnum problem ille inge. edhukum Unga company kitte check panni konge. naan Indian license vechi car hire panniruken, so i guess shouldnt be an issue.Eppadi irukeenge. Tunis le ya irukeenge ?

hi jogesh..

yes .. Tunis la daan .. city tower ku pakkatula .. neengalum tunis la dhan irukeengala .. ?.. then .. shall we meet one day

Tunis le thaan iruken. En Nassr le. Sent you request in gtalk. catch u soon there.

Jogesh

Hello :)

A Kind Request
Can you please interact in English in this Anglophone forum please;

Regards

hahaha yea if it is in english it may help other too :)
specially myself lolz

Sorry, that was just initial conversation just to let each other know that we speak the same language Tamil. Will continue in English here after, no worries.

Sorry Guys & yep it was just intro chat ....then Jogesh told that Indian License is enough .. and yesterday night i too heard that many guys r using like that ....

another Thing I came to know is .... We can approach License authority and submit our Indian License .. Then they will check with our Embassy and provide as Local Licence( it will take some time) ...But our Indian license will remain with them ...it will be issued only when we return our local license.

humm it means our drivinf license is good enough
thats great!!!

Jogesh wrote:

Sorry, that was just initial conversation just to let each other know that we speak the same language Tamil. Will continue in English here after, no worries.

Cool ;)

hi is that the same if i have  an australian license am i able to rent a car and use my australain licence or do i need ton apply for an international 1 thankx

Hello Karthik and Jogesh,

this is Krishna from India too...am new to Tunis..here to work for Bank of Africa...Hope to meet some Indian people...know some places...at the moment put up in a Hotel in Tunis...really feeling a bit de-stressed anfer finding u guys in this expat foru.

hope to hear from you.

Thanks,
Krishna.

Thinking about driver licenses... I got stopped some 10 times in 2 years in Tunis. Not once did the guys ask for a driver license.

However, they always ask for an identity card. Once I forgot it and handed them my driver license instead. That is a piece of plastic in credit card format which broke into two pieces (my job is basically sitting a lot), I handed them over one by one and after thorough examination involving scratching his head and showing the thing to his friend, the cop returned to my car and concluded: "It's broken". I agreed and said "yes" to which he answered "Have a nice day".

He didn't mind that a driver license is not a valid proof of identity, he also didn't bother that I would have to exchange it for a Tunisian license after some period and I am not convinced that he recognized it as what it was at all. And being presented with such a strange kind of document not even having a stamp, he probably forgot about my passport and even to make up something for which he could ask to be bribed. Or he was just nice and didn't really care so much.

Either way, I think whatever kind of driver license you have is just fine. Make sure to have your assurance papers at hand though.