Studying in Canada

Hi there,
I am Ashutosh. I am from India.

I am planning to immigrate to Canada for better career opportunities. I have already applied for immigration through the Express Entry Skilled Workers program. I am currently in the Express Entry pool of candidates with 441 points, which I think is as good as it gets without a job offer from a Canadian employer and without a provincial nomination.

I have 4 years of industry experience and have a full time job currently in India. Now, I am eager to go back and study in a classroom environment. This would certainly upscale my CRS points but most importantly will enhance my skills.

Do you think it's a good idea to apply to Canadian schools for postgraduate/ diploma courses? - Most importantly can I apply for studying in a Canadian school whilst being in the Express Entry immigration pool?

I also believe that studying in Canada will be a gateway to things which I cannot presently do but will be able to do once I'm there. For example, job search. I think it is much more efficient to look for a job while being physically present over there rather than shooting cold emails from far.

I welcome your suggestions.

Have an awesome day today!

--
Ashutosh.

apohary wrote:

Hi there,
I am Ashutosh. I am from India.

I am planning to immigrate to Canada for better career opportunities. I have already applied for immigration through the Express Entry Skilled Workers program. I am currently in the Express Entry pool of candidates with 441 points, which I think is as good as it gets without a job offer from a Canadian employer and without a provincial nomination.

I have 4 years of industry experience and have a full time job currently in India. Now, I am eager to go back and study in a classroom environment. This would certainly upscale my CRS points but most importantly will enhance my skills.

Do you think it's a good idea to apply to Canadian schools for postgraduate/ diploma courses? - Most importantly can I apply for studying in a Canadian school whilst being in the Express Entry immigration pool?

I also believe that studying in Canada will be a gateway to things which I cannot presently do but will be able to do once I'm there. For example, job search. I think it is much more efficient to look for a job while being physically present over there rather than shooting cold emails from far.

I welcome your suggestions.

Have an awesome day today!

--
Ashutosh.

Ashutosh,

It depends on your age. The older you are e.g. late 30s to early 40s, your desire to head back to the books is lower. Most ppl I know simply wait it out for the PR to come and then when they do get it, back their bags and bring their family along with them and when here apply for the job.

You are right, you are shooting cold emails from afar most of the time unless, someone over here likes what they see - that's extremely rare. Not that it hasn't happen. I've heard of stories of ppl being offered jobs from afar but again not something that happens alot.

Now, if you like I was when I came over - in my 20s, then yes you may have the "oomph" to stomach 4 more years of tertiary education. Your chances are better at landing a job when you graduate but you've wasted 4 years of your life to studies again.

The choice is yours.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for writing back to me.

You're right about the "oomph". The older one gets less is the desire to go back to the books.

I am currently 25 and studying a postgraduate was always the plan. You're right, the longevity of the study course is definitely a factor worth considering. Hence I am looking for diploma courses which are a year long in length and for postgraduate courses courses which are a maximum of two years in length. I think I can squeeze in 1-2 years of studying in my career plan.

I will continue to hunt for employment in Canada as long as my application is in the Express Entry pool (to boost my CRS score and get the PR). But besides that I'll be applying to schools for further studies. It's good to know that I can do that.

Thanks Philip.
--
Ashutosh