Best place to live in q8??

Hello Expats:)

I'm quite new in Kuwait and didn't have time to look around much. I'm currently looking for an apartment and wondering which area is best for western expats. Thanks for your tips & opinions.

P.S.: No agents please:)

Realy? I live in Salmiya but.. I was hoping for some place like Marina in Dubai.. yeah, I know, this is Kuwait. I was also hoping to find some beer here. lol. I'm clear on this one..
I'm gonna check those towers with ghetto behind them:).
Thanks and Happy New Year!

lara_q8 wrote:

Realy? I live in Salmiya but.. I was hoping for some place like Marina in Dubai.. yeah, I know, this is Kuwait. I was also hoping to find some beer here. lol. I'm clear on this one..
I'm gonna check those towers with ghetto behind them:).
Thanks and Happy New Year!

Hi Lara, please check this https://www.expat.com/en/guide/middle-e … uwait.html
I just recently posted it. hope it helps.

If your lookin for ghetto, I hear hawali's good for that :P and theirs plenty of expats living there

In my opinion; Salwa, Jabriya are much better than Salmiya.. However I very much like the building next to Sultan Center on the Gulf Road. It has a beautiful view but expectedly quite expensive.

Salwa and Sabah al Salem :) Gudluck!

Thanks guys:) looks like I'll have to check the whole Kuwait.

Mahboula: ghetto behind - as long as its behind - check

someone from another forum posted this video for ilustration 'Behind Alia/Ghalia towers':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbcH_qYkeTc

(just for fun, no offence anybody, guess every country has these beautiful places:)

Hawali: ghetto all around - cross XXX :P

Salmiya near Sultan centre - check. Like it too.

Salwa, Jabriya & Sabah al Salem - check

Khaye thanks for the link. Very informative.

Ciao

Salmiya,Salwa.Abdullah Alsalem,Sharq and if you are looking for busy life....Hawally!!

My favourites are Salwa and Jabriya

Salwa is quiet and Okey but if u are looking for real ghetto go to Jeeleb or Jahra or Soleybiyah or Khatian.

Hey

In similar situation only having been here a month. Have searched high and low from Mahboula, Salwa, Salmiya wanting decent finish with bit of sea view in reasonable area.

Anywhere near Gulf road very noisy and with sea view expensive, Mahboula was favourite but in the end didn't live up to expectations.

Saw one which fitted all bills in new building behind holiday inn so set back of Gulf road, sea view, overlooked scienctific centre but was 3 bed and therefore too big and too much money.

I got warned off Hawali and didn't go view any.... then dragged up to see a place in Midan Hawali and its brilliant.... doesn't have sea view but ticked every other box.

Moral of story ....don't rule anything out it could be the diamond in the rough

Thanks scotty. Very true. I've been rounding near holiday inn today. There are nice new buildings there and area is ok too. The few I asked were only 3 bed. Will go back tomorrow again.

Hi Lara

Signed my contract today and got me keys hurrahhhhhhhhh...

Owner is brilliant female and now know why apartments so well finished and supberbly decorated.
If you want details and like to look in her flats let me know

Hey Scotty,

congratulation:) I'm happy you found your place.

A female owner? Sounds refreshing. Of course I want to see it. Send me contact to my inbox please. Thank you!

Have a terrific New Year's Eve and the whole 2011!

My first post... :D

a humble advice is to keep in mind the work/home distance, and do a bit of planning for your daily trips. Some places can be congested.  Sea-view is great, but if you work till late, and only get to enjoy it in the weekends, it's of less value.

Anyway, good luck

hi Lara,

Definitely Mahboula,Mangaf or Abu Halifa where you gana find beautiful sea side with many coffee shops & resturants.  :)

Ciao...

Care for me you disappear for a while . Welcome back bro.

Moo wrote:

Care for me you disappear for a while . Welcome back bro.

may thx bro  :)

how's thingz goin on with ya?  really i miss all of ya  ;)

dona worry bro, am catchin the train now adays ....

Ciao...

who is this brilliant female owner as I'm looking for a suga-momma :lol:

Thanks Ben & Salah;)

Willy: naughty,naughty!:)

how's thingz goin on with ya?  really i miss all of ya  ;)

dona worry bro, am catchin the train now adays ....
Ciao...

I feel good because the weather is great these days.wish if kuwait always like that.

You guys need to quit hatin on Hawally... Hawally is special... it has "character" if you will... Shame on you Will! Besides, all the coolest expats live in Hawally :P

i think u will be able to fidn some nice place to live " outside kuwait" :P

cdedbdii wrote:

You guys need to quit hatin on Hawally... Hawally is special... it has "character" if you will... Shame on you Will! Besides, all the coolest expats live in Hawally :P

While i am going from Jabireyah to hawali there was check point , I got ticket from police. Why always police makes check points around hawally .
There are some places in Kuwait which worse than hawali but I do not recommend to stay in hawali.

Moo wrote:
cdedbdii wrote:

While i am going from Jabireyah to hawali there was check point , I got ticket from police. Why always police makes check points around hawally .
There are some places in Kuwait which worse than hawali but I do not recommend to stay in hawali.

preach on sista! cdedbdii :)

dude, ive been drivin around hawalli years now, never once was i stopped @ a check-point, or ticketed (knock on wood)

salmiya is a death-trap. its MUCH busier than hawalli, its only strong-point is being close to the gulf road, but then again, not all of salmiya is, and some areas are basically, "ghetto" as well, no offense.

the beauty of Hawally, which in arabic translates to "around me" (roughly) is just that, everything is around u; u got Jarir bookstore, Muhallab mall, Red Tag, 6 or 7 co-ops so u never have to worry about food, a gazillion eateries, an IT street (Info Tech not IT as in IT IT), a walkway near the 30, a sultan center, a sports stadium, all major banks have branches here that are within walking distance, and oh, yes, dar al shifa hospital (my insurance is there, and i can see it from my balcony).

granted, it can get busy, very busy @ times, hence i walk everywhere i wish to go.

hawalli needs better PR.

oh yes, i almost forgot, rehab complex! on tunis st, the one-stop-shop for all things GAMING.

Hawalli Park too; its kinda small, corny, but homey and cosy.

bear in mind, apartments in salmiya are smaller and more expensive.

so stick that in your pipe & smoke it ;) hawally-haters :P

lmao, well said legacy

So Moo, what did you get a ticket for?? my curiosity is overhelming :D

Rehab complex? Where is that one exactly? Ironicly named if you are addicted to gaming :lol:

( ...still believes Jabriyah brings the best of all..)

jabriya is cool but has VERY limited entrances and exits, plus not that many co-ops, restaurants are spaced haphazardly, as are baqalas.

if u keep the blood bank on ur right jabriya-dweller, head up towards tunis st. u'll pass by al-bahr center on ur right, then canary, gad, hashim hashim, best electronics, nbk, deek al roomi and then, right after that, before the traffic light, next to a garden, u will find rehab center. go to the first floor and drink in all that is gaming. (lol, i get it now, smart on them!)

they also have an area with all the cool anime figures (basement and first floor) as well as clothing and other memorabilia, + fire extinguishers!

Chilly_Willy wrote:

lmao, well said legacy

So Moo, what did you get a ticket for?? my curiosity is overhelming :D

OOooo... loool :)

hi every1 , am i missing something

well Moo, apparently ur avoiding the subject! what did u get the ticket for? the masses want to know! :D

lol, dont be scared all your life.  Were all family here :lol:

hi mate!
wlcome to kuwait ! it depends to the place you work and the school you send your children...
but,all in all ,if you like busy places with many people I suggest you salmiya and if you preffer quiet places I advise you sharq .and if you like cheaper place you can choose salwa!

legacy wrote:

... jabriya-dweller, ...!

thanks, that's a compliment hawally-hugger! :cool:

arash74 wrote:

hi mate!
if you preffer quiet places I advise you sharq .and if you like cheaper place you can choose salwa!

salwa, cheaper? are we talking about the same kuwait?

Bhaas, ive been rockin in Hawally for as long as i can remember, so thank you for that compliment ;)

when choosing any location, you have to select it based on a couple of general criteria, if these criteria are available in any which place, then so be it.

1) price: expats cant own property, so u gotta shelf a decent amount a month for dwelling. or if ur lucky, ur company will shelf it for u.

2) security: will an axe-murderer just break in thru the door and kill you in this area, without anyone lifting a finger?

3) area entry/exit points: are u in a congested area? can u get out and come in quickly via major roads?

4) distance from main street: its alwasy best to pick up a taxi on a main street, not those side ones.

5) distance form CBD: central business district, the financibyal hub of the country, here it is kuwait city, where most jobs are.

6) distance from amenities: lets say u need food, or clothing, or electrical supplies, a satelite repair guy, a plumber, or shoes, or even a hospital, are they within driving/ walking distance? (in my case, yes to all the above!)

so as such, there is no "best" place to live in kuwait, in the end, home is where the heart is, and your house is what u make it.

so start by setting a budget, then go for it.

Hi there, well welcome to Kuwait. finding an apartment in Kuwait can be tricky because of the varying levels of service that should be provided. If you are looking for an apartment please check out western housing solutions, they are an American company that offer ever amenity like housekeeping OSN showtime and internet. They know whats up whs-kuwait.com

Good luck and have fun in kuwait.