Foreign ownership of property - any visa benefits ?

hi, just wondering if a foreigner buys a property does it give him any benefits when it comes to visas  ? I know in Australia the Chinese gain permanent residency and eventually citizenship via purchasing Australian assets to a certain value. Does the same apply in Vietnam ?

Cheers

Do you have a link to your statement about Chinese investors, as far as I know it doesn't work that way, you must still pass all the required criteria.

I just had a look online and couldn't find anything in relation to Chinese buyers.

Back to your question, NO.

The US does have a Visa called EB-5 which results in permanent residency for investors who invest in or establish business that create 10 or more new jobs.  My understanding (not necessarily factual) is that this immigration loophole is primarily used by wealthy Chinese.  The criteria look strict on paper but if one is wealthy enough you can simply pay 10 people through a dummy corporation and not even worry about the losses.  Investment in homes is specifically excluded, but the investor could just buy an apartment house and add 10 people to the security or maintenance staff.

Speaking of EB-5, this is interesting reading.

http://cis.org/EB5-Investor-Visa-Fraud-Map

Moderators: No sensitive PII has been disclosed in this message.

Panda7:

You can set up a company, which in turn buys the property.  This gives the investor a couple of benefits:   

1. investor's visa (as owner of company); and
2. benefits of an enterprise as a project vehicle to purchase the property.

thanks good advice, so does the company need to be a Vietnamese registered company or can it be international ?

SimonLee wrote:

Panda7:

You can set up a company, which in turn buys the property.  This gives the investor a couple of benefits:   

1. investor's visa (as owner of company); and
2. benefits of an enterprise as a project vehicle to purchase the property.

It also entitles you to a 5yr TRC. I've been working on this for the last 2 years, and very soon it should happen, I gave up inquiring about my PR application about 4 yrs ago.

are there any cheaper alternatives (as an investor via a company) than buying property ?

Nope.

so buying a business doesn't count ?

You really should contact a lawyer, the goal posts here move from month to month. If you buy a business here it won't be in your name, that's half the problem.

If you marry a local you will get a 5 year VEC, once you apply for it. Once you have the VEC you can apply for the three year TRC which costs about 150usd.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not advertise your own services on the forum. Register in the business directory. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

a foreigner have to have an application to have vietnam citizenship base on the length of their stay, his/ her role in vietnamese society or their sponsor.  they may possess properties in Vietnam but the term is not over 50 years. but don't worry because you will sell it away before the deadline :D. But I think that expat shouldn't apply to be an vietnamese citizenship because its lack of human right and it's very easy for you to extend your visa