Foreign ownership of property

hi, just wondering if a foreigner buys a property does it give him any benefits when it comes to visas  ? I know in Australia the Chinese gain permanent residency and eventually citizenship via purchasing Australian assets to a certain value. Does the same apply in Vietnam ?

yea, somewhere it is like that but this is not the case in Vietnam. You need to manage this by yourself. I can just recommend to contact [link moderated] to make residence card in Nha Trang.

foreigners can just hold 50 years leasing right in vietnam even you bought it,

Sophie in HCM wrote:

foreigners can just hold 50 years leasing right in vietnam even you bought it,

Actually, with the exception of "Spirit Homes," I believe that that 50 year restriction also applies to Vietnamese. The closest legal term to "Spirit Homes" in America would be  "Homestead." Note, the "Homestead" legal status is only found in specific, not all, American States.

Anyway, "Spirit Homes" and "Homesteads" have a special legal status and are immune to various property laws depending on the jurisdiction.

panda7 wrote:

hi, just wondering if a foreigner buys a property does it give him any benefits when it comes to visas  ? I know in Australia the Chinese gain permanent residency and eventually citizenship via purchasing Australian assets to a certain value. Does the same apply in Vietnam ?

Hi Panda,
Vietnam ( I've read) will actually give permanent residence status to those who make a significant contribution to the country.

If you were to build a bridge, a hospital or  finance the construction of a highway you'd be in with a chance.

Yogi donated some crayons and pencils to a local school here.  If I hear anything back from immigration I'll let you know. 

Wouldn't that look good in the papers......Yogi & Panda granted permanent residence.

I'm not holding my breath mate.