Your new local habits in Hungary

Hello everyone,

Living in Hungary is a great way to immerse in a new culture and lifestyle.

Have you embraced local customs since you've lived in Hungary? If so, which one(s)?

Did local customs change the way you see things, appreciate life or organize your daily routines? As far as the language is concerned, did you learn new expressions or words and do you use them?

What do you like most about the lifestyle in your host country? Are there any local specificities you are still struggling with?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Well actually I have many US relations who were born in eastern Europe so adapting to HU customs was not hard for me.
I was raised with some of the customs as one finds in Hungary, always taking care of guests first etc.
I have HU relations in the US besides being married for over 4 decades to a Hungarian born person.
My father was born into a large Polish/Rusin American family so the same rules apply, all eastern Europe customs are very close to each other, with slight differences.
I do remember taking Europe style lunches to school as a child inCal.
My mom would pack a lunch with "head cheese" for me, I never could talk any other kids into swapping sandwiches with me and often they would laugh at my lunch, no one in Cal ever packed a 7 year old girl a head cheese lunch, I suppose I was meant to live here in HU.
The only thing I find hard is the language.I admit I have put little to no serious effort into learning it.
Never really thought I would actually be living full time in HU and now in my 60's it isn't easy to get my mind around learning a new language.
Of course as a young women every Hungarian I knew taught me "rude words" in Hungarian, can't exactly get by with those words alone.

I like Hungary. As a Norwegian pensioner I enjoy better weather, good culture and architecture, a favourable price level and generally nice, friendly people. Downsides? Well - language of course. I have not found any evening classes in learning hungarian. It could be extremely useful to have an english speaking (or german speaking) assistent, maybe on a retainer - just to assist in some situations. (I have made some attempts, but the people I have asked have shyed away. They seem to belacking self-assertiveness in their linguistic skills).

But mostly I would like to have a ladyfriend - or at least some address - in town or on the net - where one could meet and have a cup of coffee with a good woman.

For these reasons, my life here seem to find it hard to get up to speed - half a year after I moved here.

Guttis wrote:

....But mostly I would like to have a ladyfriend - or at least some address - in town or on the net - where one could meet and have a cup of coffee with a good woman.

For these reasons, my life here seem to find it hard to get up to speed - half a year after I moved here.

You should say where you live and a bit more about yourself.  I am sure there are plenty of eligible ladies around.  The Internet is the most obvious starting point.

More details, I have a lady friend who is single and looking.
She is also retired here in HU and is on her own, looking to find a companion or just someone to have a few laughs with.
My retired husband speaks fluent Hungarian and might be of service once in awhile if you should find yourself in a sticky situation here in Budapest.
Of course my husband has spent most of his adult life in the US so really doesn't know allot of the in's and out's here in Hungary, he does however understand every word spoken.
My friend is from the UK and lives now in Hungary.
Not a bad idea to meet someone online, my son in the US met his wife over the net, went to Japan to meet her and had her visit him in the states 3 times before they tied the knot.
He got to know her well with just sharing online before he actually even bought his ticket to Tokyo.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

.....Not a bad idea to meet someone online, my son in the US met his wife over the net, went to Japan to meet her and had her visit him in the states 3 times before they tied the knot.
He got to know her well with just sharing online before he actually even bought his ticket to Tokyo.

It's the modern way using the Internet. In some ways it's much more efficient as you can at least engage in a pre-selection. Bit like online speed dating.

But people are not quite so predictable.  People you think wouldn't fit together do, quite nicely. I guess it's like salt and pepper, not the same, but complementary.

I know of several people who have successfully become hitched after meeting partners on the Internet.

After a terrible marriage to a Hungarian women, our son got all serious, checked out everything from birth dates, year born and even blood type before even writing anyone back online.
Just about every resource at his disposal except throwing chicken bones.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

After a terrible marriage to a Hungarian women, our son got all serious, checked out everything from birth dates, year born and even blood type before even writing anyone back online.

Do birthdays, year born and blood types indicate compatibility?

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Do birthdays, year born and blood types indicate compatibility?

Blood types sure do  :lol: As for the others, well, a little fact and background checking can indicate if someone across the world is being less than honest or not.  Truthfulness is often compatibility factor :)

I myself met Mrs. Romaniac online and communicated solely online for 2+ yrs before we actually met up.  We got married a few months after that, and nearly 10 years later we're still motoring along :)

Yes my son was online with his wife for over a year, flew to Japan to meet her ( and a few others choices, have to be practical, had to take 2 months off of work to get to know them in their home turf) she visited him in the US 3 times for a total of 270 days then they married.
His first wife was an issue even before they married, he was young and thought she was just being"European" no she was being a brat!
My then 80 year old MIL met his first wife a fellow Hungarian women, she begged my husband and I to stop their romance after just one meeting with his then GF.
Sometimes we really should listen to the old folks, they have lived and learned the hard way.

romaniac wrote:

....Blood types sure do  :lol: As for the others, well, a little fact and background checking can indicate if someone across the world is being less than honest or not.  Truthfulness is often compatibility factor :) ...

I've heard this  blood testing going on in US movies when people want to get married but never understood why this was necessary.  Human beings are physically compatible everywhere as far as I know.'

I can imagine people wanting to have a health check but  surely this would be voluntary and if someone ever got to the point where there was say, a disease discovered (assuming sufficient testing unearthed that), then would it actually make any difference to marriage commitment?

BTW, in the UK, well over 50%  of children are born out of wedlock making any blood test system irrelevant (not that we have blood tests anyway).

fluffy2560 wrote:

I've heard this  blood testing going on in US movies when people want to get married but never understood why this was necessary.  Human beings are physically compatible everywhere as far as I know.'

I can imagine people wanting to have a health check but  surely this would be voluntary and if someone ever got to the point where there was say, a disease discovered (assuming sufficient testing unearthed that), then would it actually make any difference to marriage commitment?

BTW, in the UK, well over 50%  of children are born out of wedlock making any blood test system irrelevant (not that we have blood tests anyway).

Not sure about the requirements in HU, but over here in RO (yeah it's straying off topic, sorry), blood testing and overall health check is mandatory before a wedding can be scheduled, specifically an HIV test must be performed.  I think the intent is just to make sure that both spouses are aware of any health issues, especially communicable diseases or something that might potentially impact a fetus/child or the spouse.  Hypothetically, if I was about to marry someone and wasn't aware that they were HIV positive and hadn't had premarital sex; I could see how it could make a difference.  At the least, it would bring up a serious conversation :)

These "modern" days anything goes, darn I am a child of the Hippie days so no passing of judgement .I still tend to think marriage is old fashioned  but legally needed.
The blood type compatibility thing is a Japanese thing more then a western thing.
In any case both my son and I have O neg. blood which in some cultures is fantastic and in others means we are selfish people.
The old way was very important to check blood types before modern
technology, O neg mothers ran the risk of killing their babies before they were born if the babies blood didn't mix with the mom's.
The mother's blood would kill the baby before it was born unless the child had the same blood type.
These days with testing etc. they can give shots etc. that make any birth safe. I Know after the birth of my son I had to undergo a shot treatment for any future births to not "murder" my own child in my womb.
O neg. people can only get O neg blood, we can give to anyone, sort of rare blood.

As far as finding a mate the blood typing is more simple, just tells about the nature of a person , not life or death.
Just like checking a person's birth sign, just for fun really.
Sort of sad to be the odd person, even my blood can kill or save a life.

romaniac wrote:

Not sure about the requirements in HU, but over here in RO (yeah it's straying off topic, sorry), blood testing and overall health check is mandatory before a wedding can be scheduled, specifically an HIV test must be performed.  I think the intent is just to make sure that both spouses are aware of any health issues, especially communicable diseases or something that might potentially impact a fetus/child or the spouse.  Hypothetically, if I was about to marry someone and wasn't aware that they were HIV positive and hadn't had premarital sex; I could see how it could make a difference.  At the least, it would bring up a serious conversation :)

Wow, really? I never knew that about Romania.  I am quite surprised.  I must say Mrs Fluffy and I did have a conversation about our health but doubt it wouldn't have made much difference to us.  We were not tested for anything.

I have developed some conditions since we've been together, which in combination, are not positive but can be kept at bay with the right meds and lifestyle.  My view is that if it was some dread disease then I'd stick with her (and I hope her with me) to the very bitter end.

But now I said that, it makes me wonder if one of us was HIV positive, how would we have proceeded? Not sure!

I think even with a serious illness, true love will withstand it.
In fact sometimes it takes a big scare to realize just how special your relationship is and how much you care about the other person.
Time will tell as the saying goes.
Believe me in over 42 years of marriage we have experienced many great things together and some very terrible and hard ones. From parents dying, siblings dying, our only son undergoing 4 surgeries before age 13, my getting very ill at age 40 because of being too stubborn to seek medical attention, had to pass out while giving a women a perm to finally see a doctor.
Having so much money to just about losing everything to getting back to the middle ground.
It is amazing to see how strong a relationship really is and also sad to see those who fail and divorce. I call it a fail maybe no one's fault alone but still a fail.( No judgement, my sister had 4 of them!)
Self discovery, I realize I seem like a huge cry baby and a worry wart but in hard times I take the lead and don't panic until the situation has passed.
My husband on the other hand is really tough but goes weak when he sees people he cares about suffering, he is a gem.
Sorry to hear about your health, hey we all get our issues with age etc. Part of the journey of life.
I know my parents in the 1940's had to have blood tests and so did my older sister with her first marriage in 1969. I think it had more to do with miscarriages when blood types don't mix.
O neg mother's used to miscarry allot before they figured out that they needed a shot of hemoglobin post birth of any child, that is to protect any future fetus . I know because I had to get the shots myself, lucky my son has the same blood type. One must have at least one parent with that type to also have it.
Before they figured this out there was allot more testing pre marriage to protect any offspring in a marriage.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I've heard this  blood testing going on in US movies when people want to get married but never understood why this was necessary.

A puritanical reactionary response, disguised as a public health issue.

In other words, the laws were initially enacted to test for syphilis. But of course, if you had syphilis you had sex. And many states only required the testing of women. So it was a de facto "purity" (i.e. virginity) test. The issue of testing for RH factors in the blood only came later, since these laws often pre-dated even the complete understanding what the RH factor meant (the RH factor was discovered in 1937, but not understood until the 1940's (after most blood test laws were enacted)). Tests for other diseases were then tacked on over time to justify the laws. Today, the laws have been repealed in most every state, and so is mostly a non-issue.

So in summary, the USA was very religiously puritanical when these laws were enacted. And a large portion of the population today still is (but that is another story).

This is all of course completely off topic, but I hope my post can put this issue to rest and maybe get the discussion a bit more back on topic.  :)

Thanks for clearing this up, STD's, yes that does make more sense.