Your new local habits in Austria

Hello everyone,

Living in Austria is a great way to immerse in a new culture and lifestyle.

Have you embraced local customs since you've lived in Austria? If so, which one(s)?

Did local customs change the way you see things, appreciate life or organize your daily routines? As far as the language is concerned, did you learn new expressions or words and do you use them?

What do you like most about the lifestyle in your host country? Are there any local specificities you are still struggling with?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Being a hybrid- my mum was Austrian, I have always embraced the Austrian culture and known the Austrian cuisine very well. So I have worn Lederhosen with accessories since we immigrated here. I love the Tracht shirts too. Some of the cuisine is very rich and full of fats, which I do not enjoy so much. Loden is another brilliant invention by the Austrians which I have worn since the 80's. I remember one occassion when in England we unusually had a heavy blizzard, and had to retrieve a car from a car park in the NEC near Birmingham. Driving wind and snow. And I was bone dry underneath when we eventually got home. We are lucky here that we have two Loden mills which have an excellent selection of outdoor clothing.
Living in Schladming there are plenty of opportunities for hiking whether in summer or winter.
Sundays or weekends are so much more special with everything closed, and traffic volumes as well as noise are so much quieter. We also find the church bells appear to be so much more melodic, as they seem to be cast and tuned differently here in Austria.
Church going inevitably means people turning up in full Tracht whether Catholic or Protestant, and is a joy to behold.
And in the Alps, of course the air is mostly fresh and clean, even though we live near to the main east-west route from Salzburg to Graz/Slovenia.