US Mail forwarding service for Quepos area?

Hi!

I'm really looking forward to FINALLY moving to Costa Rica. It has been a dream of mine for more than 10 years and I've visited the country every year (or twice a year) since discovering it in 1999.

I'll be living in the Quepos area. I have heard that the best way to receive or send urgent-ish mail is to use a mail-forwarding service (like Mailboxes, etc. or UPS). I've looked up a few companies but noticed none are located in Quepos. I was wondering if anyone knows if Quepos specificially has a service like this. If not, is it relatively easy to receive mail if it arrives in Santa Ana (in the case of Mailboxes, etc.) and have it delivered to Quepos? If you're living in Quepos... which service do you trust most?

Also, I was wondering about cell phone/smart phone plans? Any suggestions of a service I can purchase in the US/Canada and use in CR?

In terms of meeting other expats and not just vacationers... is there a group in the area - a welcome to newcomers group perhaps? Something where everyone goes for drinks once a month to catch up and share experiences? I'm pretty comfortable making friends... but always find that I only meet other vacationers or Ticos when I visit there... rather than expats... who can share similar experiences of moving to another country that's different from home. 

And, one final question... I'd like to take intensive Spanish lessons pretty much the minute I arrive. I'll have my own apartment so I don't need to be boarded by the Spanish School. The only school I could find online offers boarding services and seems quite expensive (since it includes overnight accommodation). Is there another school in the area that offers daily Spanish classes?

I'll be living between Manuel Antonio & Quepos (along the road)... so either area is just fine by me.

Cheers!

Hi ccraft, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members can help you.

I wish you good luck
:)
Christine

Hi and welcome to the neighborhood!

We own a home in the Manuel Antonio area (actually the property is just across an arroyo from the park on the northwest side). I too have been visiting every year since 1997 and plan to retire in two more years. I am not familiar with a reliable mail forwarding operation in Quepos but you might consider getting an apostado (apdo) at the post office there. I can also check with some ex-pat friends of mine who have lived there for 15 years. They are in Naranjito but do all there business in Quepos. As far as a Spanish school - you may want to check out:

http://www.spanishabroad.com/damore.htm

I hope we get the opportunity to meet soon. I usually travel down from mid-December through mid-January every year.
Pura vida y hasta luego,

Jerry

I recommend website offering forwardusmail.com]Mail Forwarding Services, where you can establish U.S. address for free.
Mail forwarding fee is only 8.50 / package with very cheap shipping. There is also shipping calculator!
Enjoy it!

forwardusmail.com

[Moderated: please post in classifieds]