Regarding a job offer in muscat

Hi to everyone here

I am looking for an advice regarding a job was offered to me in one of colleges in muscat. I was offered OMR 820 for being lecturer based on my master qualification. I have zero teaching experience but good publishing record. The college also promised to promote me and increase my salary once my Phd qualification is received (recrntly finiahed my Phd, awaiting for the issuance of certificate by end of this year). My questions; will OMR 820 be enough for family of wife + twins (2 years old) and how much would i expect salary adjustment for Phd holder?
* OMR 820 inclusive package no extras will be paid by college for my accomdation
Thanks all for your assistance

Hello basset11519 and welcome on board Expat.com

I invite you to browse through threads talking about salary packages compared to the living expense in Muscat :

> Cost of living in Muscat

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Hi basset11519,

With the salary amount which you have quoted, you can lead a simple and an unassuming life, with no bells and whistles.

The location of your place of work would be important. This will decide on how much you would have to put aside every month for your house / flat / apartment rent, since that would be your biggest out going monthly expense and cost.

Assuming you take a 1BHK apartment, the monthly rent range would vary anywhere between R.O. 150/- to R.O. 350/- on an average. This would primarily depend on the locality, the size, age and condition of the property.

Just for your information, inside the Al Mouj Muscat, (the erstwhile ‘The Wave', a premium ITC / gated community), a 1 BHK apartment's rent is upwards of R.O. 650/.

Certain other staying options are also available like the ‘sharing accommodation', which I would not delve into.

Regarding the salary slab for Doctorate Degree holders, you would have to enquire with someone local academician only. But better still, would be your prospective employer.

As kenjee has suggested, please do review the numerous others posts in this ‘Cost of Living in Muscat' topic, to get a good idea of what to expect in terms of expenses here in Muscat.

basset11519 wrote:

(recrntly finiahed my Phd, awaiting for the issuance of certificate by end of this year). My questions; will OMR 820 be enough for family of wife + twins (2 years old) and how much would i expect salary adjustment for Phd holder?

Do you really think with a PHD, you deserve a three figure salary ? Do you really know the worth of being a PHD ?? 

I just wonder why people don't understand their own worth.

thank you for your time and advice. This salary is based on master qualification.

This salary is based on Master qualification. Furthermore, I do not underestimate myself. Who knows chance bring another once i proof myself worthwhile. Reality of workplaces go in such way unfortunatily. but what, thanks for your reply on my post

college said they will adjust my salary to fresh  phd lecturer. They said i should expect OMR 1060 minimum. how is thiz?

quick update on this. The salary once i get my  Phd scroll will be a minimum of OMR 1050 and the amount varies depend on exp and performance.