Move to either Makati or Cebu

I am looking to move to either Makati or Cebu myself, but I am wondering how hard it is to get to the VA hospital in Manila from Cebu for appointments?  Also, which would be more affordable.  Makati area or Cebu? My budget is rather mid-ranged I believe.

Also, I will not qualify for the retirement visa for 2 more years, so I intend on sitting around on the 'cheap charlie' version until then.  I am wondering however, how much baggage can I bring with me?  Can I bring my desktop, or clothes only?   That is never covered in any sites I have been looking over.

Hi Kimimela, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Your topic has been introduced as a new thread in the Philippines forum.

I wish you good luck and i hope other members will be able to help you.
Christine

Oops, thank you.

Makati or Cebu? Makati is in Manila, Luzon while Cebu is in Visayan ara. From Manila it will take less than an hour to reach cebu city via domestic flights of course. I recommend to live in Cebu city, much cheaper than living in bustling Makati.

Thanks Honeyclotte, I am starting to see that after more research

Hi Kimi,

You are allowed to bring in 2 boxes or luggage with 50 lbs in weight each. You are allowed to bring your laptop and clothes. Some if the medication that you might to bring in:
anti-bacterial cream and ointment (it's available here but I find it cheaper to buy it there in bigger tubes)
pepto-bismo - they don't have it here in case you take that too
check out some of the over the counter medicines that you would normally would like to have as part of your emergency kit. Some of the OTC meds there are sold here but sometimes needed prescription to get it.
Once you get in to the airport, there will be people lined up outside the door of the plane with wheelchairs, you can request that one of them can take you you and assist you to the baggage area.
If you let us know your flight details, we can have people pick you up and bring you to your preferred temporary place to stay in. I will advise you their rates.

With your health condition, it might be best to stay first in the Metro area. I love Cebu, but I think most of the VA facilities are here in the Metro area. You can fly out to Cebu anytime you want to check it out.

For your rent, the short term contract is quite expensive. Let us know how much you are willing to pay every month for rent.
Will you be willing to stay with other women in a house with a 24/7 nursing staff with meals included. Or will you prefer to stay alone at a studio unit? For your transportation, it seemed like you will need a driver and a car.

Send me more details so we can effectively assist you.
Pinaymentor