Adapting to the climate in Cyprus

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Cyprus is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Cyprus?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Cyprus?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Even though this topic is old, I'm going to reply.  :-)

I came from the USA, near Minneapolis, Minnesota which isnt that far from the Canadian border.  Winter lasts like forever there it seemed.  Snow from November to April wasn't uncommon, and January and February bone chilling double digits F°.  So... the warm sunny weather here was a big draw for me.  I'd seen all the snowflakes I cared to see in my life. 

I arrived in June of 2016, and the next morning it was sunny (as always!) It's always sunny in Cyprus, more than 345 days a year of sunshine. I was soaking up the warmth, and vowed I would not complain of the heat.... but after the end of the Summer, with temps averaging about the 40°C... I squeaked some.  It was hot, and my body not use to the high temps.  Fall and Winer were really pleasant, with just a few weeks of cold damp weather, it was a cake walk for someone who comes from the northern USA.   Fall and Spring are amazing, and the wildflowers are everywhere. 

I live in the middle of the Island, near the green line that divides the north and south. Lots of open ground, and it is quite arid hot in the summertime.  By evening, a nice breeze begins and the nights are overall great. I try not to use too much electricity for the AC (it's pricey here in the north)... and so the breeze is always welcome. Nights are more humid... I concluded that is due to the moisture from the sea drifting in without being burnt off by the sun as in the daytime. I think that is how the plants survive with such little rainfall.

The summer days when it's really hot...anything over 40°C I consider HOT.... can't do much outside, so bring some indoor activities to pass the time... or go to the sea. Flip flops are a must... the sand is HOT!

Drink lots of water, take a lot of showers and find some shade... and be happy you are not where there is 5' of snow I guess.

Thx for sharing your experience dude :)

the climate is most difficult in the summer months of June July & August the rest are usually ok - in my opinion our best months are April May and early June plus  October November and early December... January and February plus early March tend to be wetter/greyer but with sunny periods roughly 50/50